Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:26 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechannelmast View Post
i got mine today just in time for rain and snow
Hand chunk and put some skis on their channelmast! Snowing like crazy here in Nebraska too!
Joe
jodini is online now Find More Posts by jodini
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:35 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,711 Posts
White Christmas........??
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:10 PM
The 1st Sofaman
United States, NJ, Hawthorne
Joined Mar 2012
494 Posts
Hope that snow is not heading east.

I am still waiting for my Auto-G.
Sofaman NJ is offline Find More Posts by Sofaman NJ
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:12 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofaman NJ View Post
The rotors need to stay at the a high rpm so they create the lift you need so it does not roll left.

As the rotor turns CCwise, over the nose the rotor lifts and the blade drops as it passes the nose. As the rotor spin by the tail and up towards the nose again....all lift is to the right side if rotors are going too slow. If the rotors are going too slow, there is no lift to the left side produce asymmetry of lift or it tilts to the left side.....uing right aileron only compounds the problem.

The rotors ARE your wing. Just a an old WW1 monoplane will roll to one side if too much throttle is applied before proper lift is achieved is also applied to your rule of thumb with the autogyro. Start off slow....wait for the rotors to spin fast, with slow and deliberate increase of the throttle....it will lift off without use of elevator. Accelerator make you climb. Use rudder to turn. compensate how it leans with aileron.

The rotors must be spinning at it's highest rpm to create lift. Pulling back on the elevator is making you stall or flare out. That is what we do to land with a no roll out. We get close to the ground....kill the motor and pull back so it noses up and autorotates down to a no roll out.

Here is one of my movies with one of my gyros and I explain what I am doing....I had to set it up/trim it out first....you can watch all that or go to 4:40

http://youtu.be/J_pmUgDvYHk
GREAT video, thank you for all the details, excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfoot View Post
rcoconut,

I'm not sure what part your friend has made from styrene but if it is the Y-shaped piece that the blades are bolted to then, like Dave, I think the styrene will be too brittle and it would probably break.

Hope this helps,I'd hate for you to lose your Auto-G to a brittle part.

Al
Appreciate the input..... looks like we'll hold off.

Thanks again guys!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:23 PM
The 1st Sofaman
United States, NJ, Hawthorne
Joined Mar 2012
494 Posts
Any questions.....just shoot them out. This is a perfect time to help out as some of you new gyro pilots might have have a few. I remember when I started, some guys would not give the right answers. We are on the forum to help, so take advatage of our experience.

Dave
Sofaman NJ is offline Find More Posts by Sofaman NJ
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:39 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
2,022 Posts
Note to all new Auto Gyro pilots:- Make sure you rotate the blades the correct way on initial start up!!!
Not many people would probably admit to this but I will. On my first three attempts of ROG, I span up the blades and then accelerated away, till finally ran out of room and had to stop. On the third attempt she tipped over to one side and damaged a main blade. This is where I found my mistake as it had damaged the back of the blade.
Oh well live and learn! I was just so nervous for the maiden I didn't even notice I was spinning them the wrong way!!
BTW:- thanks for the great video on how to trim a Auto Gyro Sofaman NJ.

LURCH
taz101 is offline Find More Posts by taz101
Last edited by taz101; Dec 20, 2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:28 AM
martinsville indiana
Joined Dec 2007
529 Posts
okay here my ?? i don`t use expo but i do use dual rate so is the auto-g SENSITIVE. if so what im asking is how should i set my dual rates im using a futaba 7cap . this time around i just like to succeed . thanks for any help jeff t
thechannelmast is offline Find More Posts by thechannelmast
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:03 AM
Germany, BY, Schongau
Joined Aug 2012
18 Posts
Now in the European Warehouse

Auto-G now in the European Warehouse:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
racs is offline Find More Posts by racs
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:25 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofaman NJ View Post
Any questions.....just shoot them out. This is a perfect time to help out as some of you new gyro pilots might have have a few. I remember when I started, some guys would not give the right answers. We are on the forum to help, so take advatage of our experience.

Dave
Will do, thanks for taking the time to help out us rookie gyro pilots, so looking forward to getting her airborne!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:44 AM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechannelmast View Post
okay here my ?? i don`t use expo but i do use dual rate so is the auto-g SENSITIVE. if so what im asking is how should i set my dual rates im using a futaba 7cap . this time around i just like to succeed . thanks for any help jeff t
Hey Jeff, dual rates don't really help you here. You'll use the same rate for flying as taking off. You say you don't use expo but does that mean you don't have it? I use it because it softens the fine adjustments during flight, but many don't use it. More of a personal preference (eye/hand coordination not what it used to be).
The Auto-G is not a terribly sensitive flyer. The manual has recommended throws and they seem to be just about right. I would strongly recommend hand launching into a 3-5mph breeze for initial flights to get things trimmed. Wait till the rotor is whistling and then release with about 3/4 throttle. It will fly right out of your hand. Better yet, have a buddy hand launch it so you have your thumbs on the sticks.

Don
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:12 PM
martinsville indiana
Joined Dec 2007
529 Posts
yea i have expo just never use it , thanks for the in put don
thechannelmast is offline Find More Posts by thechannelmast
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:29 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
For the record, I set up my rate switch to apply expo. I set my aileron high rate with 100% throw with 20% expo. Low rate is 100% throw with 40% expo. Full throws on elevator and rudder, no expo. If I want to really start cranking it around, I'll go high rate, but take-offs and landings and hovers use low rate.

Don
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:12 PM
United States, MI, Marquette
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Hi all. Got my auto-g a few days ago, went together quick and looked great. I had read that the directions were wrong in regards to the head movement. I thought i had read the picture was shot from the front and it needed to be reversed or something to that effect. well i reversed the revers and ended up doing a pretty sweet snap roll into th ground doh! i have it all put back together and was wondering if someone could confirm while standing behind the gyro if i push the stick right should the rotor go right ? I have tried searching and cant seem to come up with the right answer. hoping to get another shot at flying her this weekend. Thanks all.
Taget is offline Find More Posts by Taget
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CNC Machine update.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:22 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2006
538 Posts
Yes correct --if standing behind the gyro the rotors should tilt right with right stick input --left with left and so on.
helichoper is offline Find More Posts by helichoper