HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:19 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,489 Posts
GoPro Hero to Zero

Done that myself on one of my dirt bike Enduro races. A bunch of stills.
ducatirdr is online now Find More Posts by ducatirdr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:38 PM
Playing R/C lawn darts...
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined Nov 2003
155 Posts
Just ordered an Auto-G over the weekend. I have been a fan of these type of aircraft for years but this will be my first. Always had an issue with how ugly some autos can be. Not that this bird is gorgious or anything!

I'm excited to get my hand on get a little stick time. Might have to wait till July to fly the darn thing the way there weather is around here...

Anyhow, I was thinking that I might swap in a single, more powerful servo for the tilt. I have some laying around so why not. Will the arm on the head need to be reinforced if using a single servo?

Tim
Spinnaker is offline Find More Posts by Spinnaker
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:01 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Why mess with it if it works just fine? Learn how to fly them, then start modifying. Good luck!
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:16 PM
Playing R/C lawn darts...
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined Nov 2003
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydanz View Post
Why mess with it if it works just fine? Learn how to fly them, then start modifying. Good luck!
You make a fine point. You know how it is... I can never seem to get a plane into the sky in stock form. I always seem to tinker and tune with designs.
Spinnaker is offline Find More Posts by Spinnaker
Last edited by Spinnaker; Dec 17, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:36 PM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
1,030 Posts
On board video
R/C  Auto-G 撮影中、墜落!!(カメラが重く操縦困難)Crash!! (3 min 23 sec)
Jockadopolus is online now Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:54 PM
The 1st Sofaman
United States, NJ, Hawthorne
Joined Mar 2012
503 Posts
I just ordered mine!!! Looking forward in joining the fun you guys are having.

Dave
Sofaman NJ is offline Find More Posts by Sofaman NJ
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:59 AM
United States, CO, Frisco
Joined Jul 2010
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockadopolus View Post
What happened?
Mt.Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Mt.Flyer
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:10 AM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Flyer View Post
What happened?
Sorry there was no more info in the description
He has other videos showing it flying maybe he lost power at the wrong time or just made a mistake
Joe
Jockadopolus is online now Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:17 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,489 Posts
I believe the left side of the rotor disk stalled. Same thing happened to me at low speed. Notice the pitch up and then the roll into the ground. Same thing happened to me. Right aileron had no effect during the stall. Much like taking off without enough rotor speed. You can hold full right aileron and still roll left.
ducatirdr is online now Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:52 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,776 Posts
Well, my buddy hooked me up and made the Rotor Blade Grip out of 1mm styrene from the LHS, he ended up doubling it so it's actually 2mm thick, we're all set to go for our 1st true "maiden" but it'll have to wait 'til after the holidays, but at least I'll be ready!

I think I'll still give her a go with a ROG takeoff, since the wind is calm when I fly I don't mind driving her around a bit 'til those rotors spin fast enough to get her airborne.

Happy holidays & report back soon
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:16 PM
The 1st Sofaman
Joined Mar 2012
503 Posts
Plastic from a Tide bottle is very flexible. That is the old school way. Styrene may snap from the flapping of the rotors.

Just thought....

Dave
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:18 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofaman NJ View Post
Plastic from a Tide bottle is very flexible. That is the old school way. Styrene may snap from the flapping of the rotors.

Just thought....

Dave
Awe man..... I did think 'bout a Downy bottle?!?

I'll let you know, sounds like that Tupperware top is the way to go??

We'll see, hope it works, received her when she first came out, my 1st gyro, & have yet to fly her, LOL
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:45 PM
The 1st Sofaman
Joined Mar 2012
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I believe the left side of the rotor disk stalled. Same thing happened to me at low speed. Notice the pitch up and then the roll into the ground. Same thing happened to me. Right aileron had no effect during the stall. Much like taking off without enough rotor speed. You can hold full right aileron and still roll left.
The rotors need to stay at the a high rpm so they create the lift you need so it does not roll left.

As the rotor turns CCwise, over the nose the rotor lifts and the blade drops as it passes the nose. As the rotor spin by the tail and up towards the nose again....all lift is to the right side if rotors are going too slow. If the rotors are going too slow, there is no lift to the left side produce asymmetry of lift or it tilts to the left side.....uing right aileron only compounds the problem.

The rotors ARE your wing. Just a an old WW1 monoplane will roll to one side if too much throttle is applied before proper lift is achieved is also applied to your rule of thumb with the autogyro. Start off slow....wait for the rotors to spin fast, with slow and deliberate increase of the throttle....it will lift off without use of elevator. Accelerator make you climb. Use rudder to turn. compensate how it leans with aileron.

The rotors must be spinning at it's highest rpm to create lift. Pulling back on the elevator is making you stall or flare out. That is what we do to land with a no roll out. We get close to the ground....kill the motor and pull back so it noses up and autorotates down to a no roll out.

Here is one of my movies with one of my gyros and I explain what I am doing....I had to set it up/trim it out first....you can watch all that or go to 4:40

Profile Kellet for a Friend (9 min 35 sec)
Last edited by Sofaman NJ; Dec 19, 2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:46 PM
Keep it simple
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
977 Posts
rcoconut,

I'm not sure what part your friend has made from styrene but if it is the Y-shaped piece that the blades are bolted to then, like Dave, I think the styrene will be too brittle and it would probably break.

Hope this helps,I'd hate for you to lose your Auto-G to a brittle part.

Al
alfoot is offline Find More Posts by alfoot
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:00 PM
The 1st Sofaman
Joined Mar 2012
503 Posts
Thanks Al. I think he got the jest of what I am saying. Hope everything is good with you. Been a long time bro!