HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:09 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,455 Posts
I think I'll try the toothpick mod. Are you using them on the inner hole or utter hole?
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:33 AM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I think I'll try the toothpick mod. Are you using them on the inner hole or utter hole?
I am using them on the inner hole. I found that after about the fourth or fifth flight, they start to get loose. I remove them at the end of the day anyway for transportation so new ones go in at the beginning of each session.
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:11 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydanz View Post
Take your time spooling up the rotor on ROGs. Hold a breath of right roll and just keep feeding in throttle. No elevator required. When the tail starts to get light or lifts up the the rotor is up to speed. THEN AND ONLY THEN can you add some more throttle. The wind was getting gusty by mid afternoon and I would hold station on the runway with the prop till the rotors were nearly up to speed and then add a few clicks of throttle to start a takeoff roll and the AG JUST LIFTED OFF. NONE of my takeoff have taken more than 50' to get airborne. All in all, a very good day with autogyros!

Don
Still waiting for parts but I can't wait to get her airborne!!

Definitely not enough rotor blade speed & "rushing" her to get in the air, although i thought the blades were spinning fast enough?? First gyro, will for sure hand launch (I'm sure it'll be a running hand launch, LOL) when the parts arrive, looking forward to seeing your pics of the two gyros cruising by!!

With your takeoffs no more than 50' was the wind blowing steady? If so do you recall the wind speed?
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:11 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,508 Posts
Pics from Skydanz...

Love the shark!!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:23 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
SWEET!!!! Love the Flying Tigers logo!!!

That is so cool!!! I see your strip of LED on the side of her, couldn't tell if there was anything on the back of her??

She looks neat!!!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:25 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
Are those stock struts??? And what size wheels did you go with?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:41 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Thanks Sam for posting these! There's always more than one way to skin a cat

I'm not totally done with the graphics yet. I'll be filling in the rest of the body and fins with yellow and black stripes.

The wire gear is stock but I put on some 2.5" wheels. I feel like this helps with spinup since the elevator is useless until it is in the air. At about 1/2-3/4 rotor speed I'll actually feed in a touch of down and a hair of right aileron. I know this doesn't sound very scientific but it's more about "feel" than any. As airspeed picks up, the tail will start to lift and I know that's when I'm flying (and be on my toes for what it will do next)

The wind was pretty steady at about 6-7 mph. It was actually perfect for ROG. If there was absolutely no wind, then you might have to jog. The average person can fast walk at about 3 mph and that's enough to get the rotors up to speed for hand launching.

The LEDs on the lower side of the body are very bright white ones. They light up the runway when they get close to the ground. There are blue ones under each horizontal stab and I have a removable carbon fiber tube that mounts accross the front of the pylon. I have red lights on the left and green on the right attached to the tube that shine straight up at the rotor. Makes for an interesting display on the rotor as it spins! Half the disc is red and the other is ...well, you know, green!

Don
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:54 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,063 Posts
Looks nice Don! Now I can see why you were asking about night flying in St. Louis....I'll ask!
joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:40 PM
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
Tried my maiden this morning. No wind and I just couldn't get enough head speed to get off the ground. It tipped over and over on its side before it would spin up. Any suggestions? I guess I will just have to wait for a good breezy day. I tried jogging a bit but still couldnt get the headspeed up.
luvmykids2 is offline Find More Posts by luvmykids2
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:49 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,876 Posts
Don,
Not quite the shark I have been waiting for

Rich
SafeLandings is online now Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:34 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings View Post
Don,
Not quite the shark I have been waiting for

Rich
Ouch! I ran out of some supplies and then, while I was waiting for them, I got sidetracked with other projects. It's still in the queue, just a little farther down.

Don
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:53 PM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2003
579 Posts
Stearable tail wheel

OK. This is what I have so far.
I removed the rudder from the fin, the control horn and lower hinge pin from the rudder. The hinge pin is glued in well but can be worked loose without damage.
I sliced the rudder from the bottom about 1/32" - 1/16" in from the skin up to the top edge of the horn recess.
I glued in 2 hard balsa pieces to the sides of the cutout. I then added another piece of balsa between the first 2 pieces. This extends from the top edge of the horn recess to the top edge where the hinge pin will go back in. I glued in a thin spacer where the bottom edge of the hinge pin will go back in, forming a pocket for the pin.
A piece for 3/32" brass tube was fitted and glued in. Make sure that it is 90 degrees to the hinge line.
A piece of 1/16" music wire was bent to have a leg to go into the tube in the rudder. The wire will be bent to fit the wheel, after it is inserted in the brass bearing tube.
Another brass tube was cut to act as the bearing for the music wire.
A piece of dowel was cut to fit closely inside the tail boom. A hole was drilled at a 17 degree angle into the dowel for the brass tube. The brass tube is then glued into the dowel. Trim after gluing to the dowel. A few wraps of kevlar thread were added to help keep the dowel from splitting. The dowel will be held in place with with a screw through the boom.
If there is damage, the install can be removed. The wire leg is not glued to the rudder. Take the dowel retaining screw out and the tail can be removed. The rudder can be removed and that allows the tail wheel assembly to be removed. You can replace whatever parts you need to and not have to do the whole tail wheel assembly again.
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverbuddy View Post
Tried to rog with mine,but runway was too short.Flipped over,and broke toothpick shear pins.Great mod.Unfortunately,one of the servos stripped the gear,so that was the end.Going to try at a different field next time,with much longer,smoother grass.
Btw,i'd lve to see your steerable tailwheel mod,Ken Lilja,please.
Pretty please.Very pretty please
Ken Lilja is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lilja
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydanz View Post
Ouch! I ran out of some supplies and then, while I was waiting for them, I got sidetracked with other projects. It's still in the queue, just a little farther down.

Don
HA! How does Rich know about the secret shark project! I thought I was the only one!

Yes...I'm with Rich on this one.....where's the shark Don! (After you finish those Whopper canopies of course)!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:45 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Et tu?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,063 Posts
Man, they have a google answer for everything!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Et_tu,_Brute%3F