SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:09 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChief141 View Post

Question 1: What's up with this thing wanting to turn right? All trims neutral and all control surfaces are centered.

Question 2: What xmitter settings are people using? % of throw, expo etc.

Question 3: Any suggestions for a replacement prop? The instruction 'brochure' that come with the model is somewhat less than informative. I have no problem going to a 2 blade.

Phew! A bit long winded here, but I've come to rely on the collective knowledge in these forums. Thanks. I guess Marvin's plan for interplanetary destruction will have to be tabled for the time being.

Tally Ho!
I'll try,

Answer 1; Give in, mine will roll to the left with insufficient rotor speed, have you got the roll set correctly, i.e. left stick = left tilt looking from behind, the opposite to what is printed in the instructions which are wrong!

Answer 2; I'm using a DX7 controls on aileron and rudder set @100%, elevator set so it doesn't quite touch the rudder when up elevator is applied and sod all expo or rates on anything, I rate my thumbs

Answer 3; I would look at a two blader in the 10 x 6 range as a starting point possibly going up in diameter and down in pitch, oh and use a slow fly prop with paddle type blades.

At least Marvin lives to fly another day, I'm on number two model since my first met an untimely death in a mid air with a Piper Cub.
Paul 1968 is online now Find More Posts by Paul 1968
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:39 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChief141 View Post
Phew! A bit long winded here, but I've come to rely on the collective knowledge in these forums. Thanks. I guess Marvin's plan for interplanetary destruction will have to be tabled for the time being.

Tally Ho!

Sorry to hear Marvin had such a rough time of it!

I'm no expert, but I've had successful flights of this Auto-G and I've read a TON about other's r/c autogyro experiences.

I'll give you a run down of my setup via pics and some thoughts.

Check my pics below to see where I positioned all control rods to the horns.

As far as d/rates and expo, I've settled on the following with my DX8:

Ailerons -- 80% with 40% expo
Elevator -- 100% with 30% expo
Rudder -- 80% with 30% expo

Set the head up with a few degrees of left tilt for the neutral position.

I added c/fiber sleeves to the head control rods as they are flimsy and want to bow/deflect on the ground let alone in the air under load.

I also opened up the foam protrusions in the fuse so that my 1300mah lipos sit down on the fuse bottom. Works great with this after hot glueing the esc to the side.

I would suggest hand launching until you get it all trimmed out. I've found hand launching to me much easier than ROG. You'll be able to hear/feel the rotor get up to speed, then just advance the throttle to half or 3/4 and give her a gentle push forward--she'll just fly away beautifully

As for props, I like the 3-blade for the added thrust and better ground clearance. But if I had to use a 2blade I'd probably start with a GWS 11x4.7SF and go from there.

Good luck Marvin!!
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:37 PM
Ooh! I am so very angry!
United States, WA, Carnation
Joined Jan 2012
247 Posts
Thanks for the feedback
Paul: I think I had sufficient rotor speed as I did not force the lift off, I let it fly off on its own. The right turning was not just a take-off thing, I fought it the entire flight. Also, thanks to reading this thread, I made sure my roll control was set up properly.

Sammy: Thanks for the radio set up info. Also the pictures of how you rigged yours are pure gold! Much better than Durafly's 'manual.' Also it looks pretty sharp. Great job on the graphics.

Tally Ho!
SuperChief141 is offline Find More Posts by SuperChief141
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:27 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Wow Sammy! You saved me a bunch of typing! My setups are virtually identical. Same control horn locations too. I do use 100% throw on the rudder but only because I like having it at hand.
I was able to slide the ESC under and forward and my RX fits in behind that just fine. Battery goes right on top.
Great job on the graphics. I have a hard time leaving an ARF in stock livery too. I think it personalizes your equipment. I just recently added LEDs so I can do a little night flying.

"Marvin" You say it turns right. Is that in roll or yaw? Like Sammy said, I have a few clicks of left roll trimmed in so don't be surprised you'll have to go with that too. Hand launches are much, much easier on equipment. Of course it takes a bit of headwind to make that work, or little speed walking.
One thing to check is that your rotor blades are mounted on top, then the blade stops, followed by the "y" and finally the nut plate. I noticed one of my club mates had a blade stop inverted on his. Not sure what effect ths would have but fortunately, we caught it before the maiden.
It sounds like you are close to getting it sorted out. Try a little expo, if available, and see if the sensitivity eases. Good luck!

Don
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:49 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
My Auto-G came in today!! Loved how they repacked it. I had ordered some extra blades and a couple props. They unboxed it, put my stuff in and turned the box inside out. It was not double boxed just a extra piece of cardboard on top of the airframe. But they did loose my nosecone when they did all that.

I am sure I can live without it. I have a handfull of 1500mAh batteries I am going to try as I don't own any 1300 packs. But I need both time and warmer weather.

I am a wimp, if its not near or above 60 my skinny butt can't take it.
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:33 AM
Malaysia, Sarawak, Kuching
Joined Jun 2011
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithonion View Post
But they did loose my nosecone when they did all that)
Try looking in the small compartments of the packaging for small cone shape foam. I thought the they forgot mine also, then found it next day when I'm about to throw those boxes away...
ukionz is offline Find More Posts by ukionz
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:51 AM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukionz View Post
Try looking in the small compartments of the packaging for small cone shape foam. I thought the they forgot mine also, then found it next day when I'm about to throw those boxes away...
Thanks for the post, I pulled the carton out of the trash and stuffed in this tiny spot was this foam nosecone. Thanks!!!!

I would post a pic of my Auto-G but I think everyone knows how mine looks.
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:39 AM
H-King, DuraFly, Turnigy
Joined Mar 2008
144 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if anyone has shared this yet, this pic is from our "Durafly Photo Competition".

I think this auto-g is really creative and cool, feel free to upload pictures of your Auto-G or any-other Durafly you have and you might win a prize

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...photo_comp.asp

will3d4food is offline Find More Posts by will3d4food
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:11 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Too funny! A little "Mad Max" action I see!

I wouldn't want to fly it though....be tough to see!
Joe
jodini is online now Find More Posts by jodini
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:03 PM
Ooh! I am so very angry!
Joined Jan 2012
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini View Post
Too funny! A little "Mad Max" action I see!
"...and the Road Warrior... He Lives now, only in my memories."

That one's gonna be tough to beat.

Tally Ho!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:46 PM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
959 Posts
Nice flying
The Durafly Autogyro (1 min 1 sec)
Jockadopolus is online now Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:42 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Aug 2011
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydanz View Post
Wow Sammy! You saved me a bunch of typing! My setups are virtually identical. Same control horn locations too. I do use 100% throw on the rudder but only because I like having it at hand.
I was able to slide the ESC under and forward and my RX fits in behind that just fine. Battery goes right on top.
Great job on the graphics. I have a hard time leaving an ARF in stock livery too. I think it personalizes your equipment. I just recently added LEDs so I can do a little night flying.

"Marvin" You say it turns right. Is that in roll or yaw? Like Sammy said, I have a few clicks of left roll trimmed in so don't be surprised you'll have to go with that too. Hand launches are much, much easier on equipment. Of course it takes a bit of headwind to make that work, or little speed walking.
One thing to check is that your rotor blades are mounted on top, then the blade stops, followed by the "y" and finally the nut plate. I noticed one of my club mates had a blade stop inverted on his. Not sure what effect ths would have but fortunately, we caught it before the maiden.
It sounds like you are close to getting it sorted out. Try a little expo, if available, and see if the sensitivity eases. Good luck!

Don
so does this roll left or right on take off as others have posted it roll left.
chops.
chops3 is offline Find More Posts by chops3
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:07 PM
Ooh! I am so very angry!
Joined Jan 2012
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chops3 View Post
so does this roll left or right on take off as others have posted it roll left.
chops.
It wasn't so much as a roll as a coordinated (and uncommanded) turn to the right. As soon as it was airborne I was leaning both sticks to the left just to keep it right side up. As it curved to the right I was lucky enought to end up back over the runway and was able to put it back on the ground with no damage. Controls have been double checked for correct direction, so that can be eliminated. Again, the flight was so brief that I had no time to get a feel for it. I will admit I have no autogyro experience, but I'm no rookie. I sure would have liked to gotten some altitude to sort things out, but had no time. Looks like the weather here has taken a turn so It'll be a few days before I get to try again.
A: Rotor servors centered prior to takeoff......Check
B: Rudder and elevator set to neutral.....Check
C: Empanage aligned true on tail boom.....Check
D:.......? Anyone got a 'D?'

Tally Ho!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:12 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2006
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockadopolus View Post
Thanks mate
trexpilot is offline Find More Posts by trexpilot
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:28 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,715 Posts
G'Day Trex
Nice rudder work..........unfortunately ..not enough know how to use it......onya..
Happy Landings
Chris........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz