HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:07 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2006
1,034 Posts
Mine arrive last week and manage to maiden her yesterday morning after the thunderstorm.. great weather plus a great maiden flights

shipping was only 7 days to WA Thanks Hobby King!!

hand launch on first flight and ground take off on second flight

No trim needed!! I can use just the throttle for increasing/decreasing altitude hardly use my elevator
have to fly her with ail/rudder on turns like the heli

manage to loop on second flight, the blades almost stop midway and to my surprise she recover very easy!
Did few touch and goes, almost stop hover landings, drag landing gear on the ground for bit distance and she wont tip over, few stall turn like the heli would... it was fun !!!

my setup:
8FG tx with frsky 7ch Rx
stock everything out of the box
had to install a brass spacer at the bottom of main shaft to get rid off the gap
loctite all screws and top button on the head
balance the blades to 0,05g within @ other
balance prop
battery is 3s 1350 rhino, wich give me 10min flight max so i setup timer on 8 min now

one thing i found the tail control(rud/elev) is quite sensitive on slight windy day

also its bit hard to see where she roll when i fly bit further out, will fit them reflective sticker
at the blade tips later for better visibility

all n all.. its a much more fun flier then my previous cierva

I want to build a pusher prop Autogyro now
trexpilot is offline Find More Posts by trexpilot
Last edited by trexpilot; Nov 25, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:08 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Sep 2011
69 Posts
Well........Went to fly the gyro this morning,but couldn't get the elevator to work.In the end,I put it back in the car.
It wasn't until i got home I realized I had the idle up switch on.(it's a Futaba 5ch.heli tx).When used as an airplane radio,this means it cuts out the elevator servo!DOH!
It was probably just as well,because while fiddling with the servo wires,the Frsky rx's aerial wire fell off!And this was a brand new rx.I've resoldered it,and added a blob of hot glue.
The gyro lives to get it's test fly next week,weather permitting.
I had already realized the undercart was back to front.I turned it around after taking the photo's.I've now also put even bigger wheels on,2 1/2" i think.
Still pondering a way to make the tailwheel steerable,I really don't like it as it is.
beaverbuddy is offline Find More Posts by beaverbuddy
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:58 AM
Be here now!
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydanz View Post
I've flown three of them and they all have a bit of down trim. The horizontal stab and elevator almost looks like a semi-symmetrical airfoil with a flatter bottom, if that makes sense. The battery is so close to the CG, I doubt the few extra grams would require any trim. I mount a GoPro camera to the mast structure and I can barely feel the difference.

I can think of a few odd reasons to have more down with a nose heavy AG, probably due to increased speed for the weight, but you never know with these little devils.

Don
So if the bottom is flatter i should need less down elevator. What can be done in order to reduce this? May be adding down trust to the motor?
ask21! is offline Find More Posts by ask21!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:00 AM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ask21! View Post
So if the bottom is flatter i should need less down elevator. What can be done in order to reduce this? May be adding down trust to the motor?
I guess I'm wondering why having some down trim concerns you. You may be flying it too fast. These are very floaty birds. Try using the throttle to adjust altitude and the elevator for speed. Can you take a photo of your elevator in the trim position? Maybe we can see how bad it is.

Don
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:47 PM
Be here now!
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
Quote:
I guess I'm wondering why having some down trim concerns you. You may be flying it too fast. These are very floaty birds. Try using the throttle to adjust altitude and the elevator for speed. Can you take a photo of your elevator in the trim position? Maybe we can see how bad it is.

Don
Having a surface that is not in-line with the fixed one, is a loss of energy.
Mine models have got to fly straight by themselves. In they don't there's something that must be corrected.

In this case, i trimmed it out for the lowest speed i could achieve with safe margin. Of course if I give more throttle it will nose up, but it is normal in this case.

I will take you a photo. May be it is 5/10 down.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:15 PM
Boondocks, East Coast, USA
Joined Jun 2003
648 Posts
Mine seemed like it needed quite a lot of down elevator trim to fly level at 1/2 throttle. What worked for me was...I added some nose weight (about 1/2oz total including bigger wheels) and changed my flying style to moderate climb with throttle. That combination made flying this more fun for me. just an FYI - During the learning curve, I replaced a stripped servo with this one http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...A-Metal/Detail. Good torque,Metal gears and just a tad long (1 mm) for a drop in fit. I also added bigger wheels for our grass runway. http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ht-Foam/Detail
Wolfman is offline Find More Posts by Wolfman
Last edited by Wolfman; Nov 26, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:03 PM
Ooh! I am so very angry!
United States, WA, Carnation
Joined Jan 2012
247 Posts
At Last

At last it has arrived. After two millennia my Illudium Q-39 Explosive Space Modulator is ready. Oh goody! Now I shall be able to destroy that annoying blue planet that obstructs my view of Venus. Oooh, won't that be lovely?

Tally Ho!
SuperChief141 is offline Find More Posts by SuperChief141
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:02 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
I have been pondering this elevator issue and have studied my Auto-G to see if there is any place that a misalignment in manufacturing was possible. It appears that all the parts that could affect flight are jigged and would be noticibly out of place.
Then I started examining the parts I had to assemble. My battery weighs 110g. If anyone is using a considerably heavier or lighter one with no problems, post it here. The rudder is glued on but it would be next to impossible to really mess that up and it wouldn't affect pitch that much anyway, unless maybe 2oz of epoxy were used. The next thing I noticed during assembly was that the tail wheel wire was pushed up at the rear into the hole of the clamp the fuselage tube went into, possibly for shipping. It required me to pull hard to drop it down onto the clamp screws. If this wire was not moved into its correct position and the tube slid over it, that could misalign the stab. The leading edge of my stab is 1/4" up from the top of the tube. Check that to make sure the stab is correctly mounted in its plastic holder. The wire undercarriage should be leaning forward. If it is installed backwards, it could make it tail heavy.

Other than these items, I can't see any reason for any unusual flight characteristics. I do have a bit of down, maybe less than 3/32", from neutral but that is more personal preference. What are the elevator trims on other Auto-Gs that are flying properly?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:06 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChief141 View Post
At last it has arrived. After two millennia my Illudium Q-39 Explosive Space Modulator is ready. Oh goody! Now I shall be able to destroy that annoying blue planet that obstructs my view of Venus. Oooh, won't that be lovely?

Tally Ho!
Now you're showing your age I love it!

Don
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:27 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Way before my time

Good old google

Q-36 Space Modulator (0 min 38 sec)
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:41 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
The Q-39 Rotary ESM must be the new improved version
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:12 AM
Be here now!
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
Quote:
I have been pondering this elevator issue and have studied my Auto-G to see if there is any place that a misalignment in manufacturing was possible. It appears that all the parts that could affect flight are jigged and would be noticibly out of place.
Then I started examining the parts I had to assemble. My battery weighs 110g. If anyone is using a considerably heavier or lighter one with no problems, post it here. The rudder is glued on but it would be next to impossible to really mess that up and it wouldn't affect pitch that much anyway, unless maybe 2oz of epoxy were used. The next thing I noticed during assembly was that the tail wheel wire was pushed up at the rear into the hole of the clamp the fuselage tube went into, possibly for shipping. It required me to pull hard to drop it down onto the clamp screws. If this wire was not moved into its correct position and the tube slid over it, that could misalign the stab. The leading edge of my stab is 1/4" up from the top of the tube. Check that to make sure the stab is correctly mounted in its plastic holder. The wire undercarriage should be leaning forward. If it is installed backwards, it could make it tail heavy.

Other than these items, I can't see any reason for any unusual flight characteristics. I do have a bit of down, maybe less than 3/32", from neutral but that is more personal preference. What are the elevator trims on other Auto-Gs that are flying properly?
I'm using 1800 lipo that are also a bit longer than suggested one. I didn't have any building issue and my gyro is actually flying well.
I only guess if all of them fly with down elevator, ther is something wrong that could be fixed: forward cg, downtrust on motor or less elevator angle. Depend on flying stile you want to obtain...do you agree?!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:31 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
SuperChief141....love the decals and color scheme!

Rich...how the heck did you find that so fast! Nuts!
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:46 PM
Ooh! I am so very angry!
United States, WA, Carnation
Joined Jan 2012
247 Posts
Illudium Q-39 Explosive Space Modulator flight test

Went out today for a maiden and the condtions were perfect. Hazy sunshine, 40 deg F. and zero wind. On the first attempt the thing rolled about 5 feet and tipped to the right. Dang, I know people were saying the blade grip was fragile, but this is ridiculous! the Q-39 was barely moving. So I swapped it out with the spare and while I was at it I added the toothpick fuses in the blade mounts as others have suggested. Should have done that in the first place. 2nd attempt: Spun up the rotor by hand and applied throttle slowly, It tracked straight and became airborne. At this point the good times were over. The Q-39 was all over the place. I had a sense that it was horribly out of trim, but I was too busy just trying to save it to assess it. I did have the presense of mind to throttle back and it became slightly less worse. It ended up in the grass short of our field. One broken rotor blade, broken prop and crushed spinner. I had a couple of spare rotor blades so that wasn't a problem, and rummaging around in my flight box I came up with an old Master Airscrew 9X4 that I thought I'd try. On a hunch I also trimmed in a little left aileron. 3rd attempt: Again, tracked straight and lifted off. but it was apparent it didn't have enough prop. This time it was much better behaved however, but it was determined to turn right. I pretty much had both sticks jammed to the left and managed at the last moment to set it down. Dumb luck, not skill.
I'm primarily a plank flyer, but I have a smattering of heli experience. I understand this is not a 'bank & yank' aircraft and I know how to fly the tail.

Question 1: What's up with this thing wanting to turn right? All trims neutral and all control surfaces are centered.

Question 2: What xmitter settings are people using? % of throw, expo etc.

Question 3: Any suggestions for a replacement prop? The instruction 'brochure' that come with the model is somewhat less than informative. I have no problem going to a 2 blade.

Phew! A bit long winded here, but I've come to rely on the collective knowledge in these forums. Thanks. I guess Marvin's plan for interplanetary destruction will have to be tabled for the time being.

Tally Ho!
SuperChief141 is offline Find More Posts by SuperChief141
Last edited by SuperChief141; Nov 27, 2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:51 PM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Jun 2010
105 Posts
Question for Rich

Rich did you replace the flapper plate yet in your Ayto G?
Kevin
sepcter is offline Find More Posts by sepcter