SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:02 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,639 Posts
......they are back in stock at HOBBY KING.
kydawg1 is online now Find More Posts by kydawg1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:24 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,337 Posts
I added a head button on my order due to it spinning off into the grass on the second flight. Everything else is back in stock but that. It's holding up my shipping. ARRRRGGGG
ducatirdr is online now Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:31 AM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,186 Posts
No kidding is that PeterO, Hi Peter I haven't seen you post something in a very long time good to see you are still in the wings keeping an eye on things.

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:32 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I added a head button on my order due to it spinning off into the grass on the second flight. Everything else is back in stock but that. It's holding up my shipping. ARRRRGGGG
Just use a locking nut. The button is just for looks in my opinion and is an accident waiting to happen since it doesn't lock on like a locking nut does...
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:40 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hemel Hempstead
Joined Feb 2010
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
You can take it off your order, sometimes you are given that option if you look at your order, other times you have to use the online support and quote your order number. They give you the money difference back in your points.

I've done it a few times

Malcolm
Flying_Flair is offline Find More Posts by Flying_Flair
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:44 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,394 Posts
My second Auto G turned up today, maiden will be tomorrow, preferably away from Piper Cubs . This second one seems to run smoother and quieter, probably just a better prop. I've sent a little time balancing the blades this time so should fly smoother, not that the first one was bad. Number one model flew great hence the replacement. Forecast in my area tomorrow is cloudy with 5mph wind...............................Perfect, but I would have preferred a little more breeze.
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:32 PM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2003
576 Posts
The blade rotating in the direction of flight produces more upward force due to a higher local airspeed than a blade that is rotating opposite the direction of flight. The blade assumes an angle from the otherwise flat disc the blades would form rotating about the shaft. This is because of the balance between lifting force of the blade and centrifugal force is no longer in equilibrium. I think this is the actual "coning angle". The hinge allows the blade with more upward force to bend upward. This limits the rolling tendency. Now for the neat part. Notice that the hinge is at an angle to the span of the blade. The effect of this is to lower the angle of attack of the rising blade, cutting down on the lift imbalance. Sight down a blade and bend it up at the hinge. You can see the change in blade angle. I think this is called a "Delta hinge" or Delta 3 hinge"
The fact that the hinge has stiffness dampens the system.
Some early gyros had cables that held the blades up when not rotating. There may have been up stops to, but I would bet that very bad things would have happened if the blade hit one. How the blades tracked was strictly a function of lift vs. centrifugal force.
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
What's the effect on flight?
Ken Lilja is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lilja
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:49 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,461 Posts
I'm just off to bed so no time now to correct the misunderstandings in your description Ken. Most of all you seem to be ignoring the gyroscopic effects that mean the difference in lift between advancing and retarding (3 and 9 o'clock) blades causes nose up pitch not roll. Coning causes no imbalance between blades at these positions, but does cause imbalance between the blades at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions which causes roll.
PeterO
PeterO_UK is offline Find More Posts by PeterO_UK
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:03 PM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2003
576 Posts
The gyroscopic effects have always tripped me up. 90 degrees from the location the force is applied in the direction of rotation. On my first helicopter (Schluter Heli Baby) I rigged the controls 90 degrees from how they should have been. I figured that it was a translation error from the German. I still can't do more than hover after 35 years I look forward to learning how the gyroscopic force effect an auto gyro.
Ken
Ken Lilja is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lilja
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:04 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, KBH
Joined Jul 2009
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lilja View Post
The blade rotating in the direction of flight produces more upward force due to a higher local airspeed than a blade that is rotating opposite the direction of flight. The blade assumes an angle from the otherwise flat disc the blades would form rotating about the shaft. This is because of the balance between lifting force of the blade and centrifugal force is no longer in equilibrium. I think this is the actual "coning angle".
Ken, what you are describing here is called flapping. This will cause an overall tilt of the flat rotor disc.
An autogyro has to support its own weight by the lift of the blades. Try lifting an autogyro in the blade tips, and they will bend upwards a lot. Coning is the resulting angle from the balance of this upwards pull and the centrifugal force that will tend to flatten the disc. The centrifugal force strongly depends on the rate of rotation. Due to the relatively low RPM of an autogyro compared to most helicopters, the coning angle will be larger on the autogyro.
norup is offline Find More Posts by norup
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:38 AM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
959 Posts
Video
オートジャイロ  Auto-G 初フライト (5 min 34 sec)
Jockadopolus is offline Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:25 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,337 Posts
I went to remove the head button this morning from my order and saw that the head piece went back order again. It appears that due to my head button back order the Y's were not held in reserve for my order. So my order could never process if things are never are all in stock at the same time. So much for "reserved" status.

Anyone order an extra Y head piece and want to make my day?
ducatirdr is online now Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:58 AM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
959 Posts
Video
"NightFlyying" the Durafly Auto-G Autogyro with Flight tips from NightFlyyer. (7 min 32 sec)

Durafly Auto-G Gyrocopter 箱出しフライト (4 min 44 sec)
Jockadopolus is offline Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:33 PM
United States, CO, Frisco
Joined Jul 2010
31 Posts
Anyone order an extra Y head piece and want to make my day?[/QUOTE]

I really need one to. I made one out of plastic like people have been describing, but I'm unsure. The one I made is a bit more flexible than the original.

Wish they would get back in stock
Mt.Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Mt.Flyer
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:25 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,348 Posts
Quote:
I made one out of plastic like people have been describing, but I'm unsure. The one I made is a bit more flexible than the original.

If it's too flimsy just make a 2nd one and double them up...
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70