HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:00 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
I think that DVD would shatter with too much bend. the tupperware container would work great or 1/32 G-10 fiberglass. You need something that will flex but will not break if bent. You want some coning.
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:04 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2006
1,034 Posts
Great flying skill there Alfoot, very relaxing flight and perfect landing at the end..
please thank Bob for making the video for all of us, he did a great job!
much appreciated for sharing the video mate

update: my Auto G already at my local post office!! yipeee!!! maybe i will get it deliver today
trexpilot is offline Find More Posts by trexpilot
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:21 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini View Post
I think that DVD would shatter with too much bend. the tupperware container would work great or 1/32 G-10 fiberglass. You need something that will flex but will not break if bent. You want some coning.
Joe
CONING!

An old paint bucket lid or similar works too.

CONING?
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:54 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,784 Posts
It's the" LID" from a tupperware container that you want to use as it just has the correct amount of flex and strength at the same time. And when I say tupperware ...I am sure there are many food type containers that are suitable....It is also a very good idear to remove one of the two blade bolts and replace with a soft wooden "peg" allowing the blade to move backwards on impact ,rather than break the blade or "Y"plate.
Happy Landings
Chris.......
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:13 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Very true Chris. I've removed the inner screw and nuts altogether and didn't put anything in. It flies perfectly fine without it

Don
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:51 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,784 Posts
Yes Don ....I would do the same myself......but I can understand the beginners have trouble with it...............
Chris...........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:59 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Oh....stop with the "Coning!" Just stirring up the pot Don!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:31 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini View Post
Oh....stop with the "Coning!" Just stirring up the pot Don!
Oh... Did I do thaaat? Im surprised Dave hasn't jumped in yet.. In fact, I think there must have been about ten of us having a go around with this. No pun intended. Ya can't call it a flight if the cone ain't right.

What say you Rich? Mike? Bill?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:33 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,993 Posts
Got my Auto-G ..

Just 21 days .... not ultra fast .. but .. cheap .. this time also no custom taxes ...

Ok .. going to open my box now
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:43 AM
Ooh! I am so very angry!
United States, WA, Carnation
Joined Jan 2012
247 Posts
Still waiting on mine (I think the tramp steamer it's on is transiting the Straits of Magellan just about now) But I got a couple of questions. Several people have posted about using toothpicks or such as 'fuses' in lieu of the outer blade mount bolts. If I were to just use the inner bolts, would the blades find their own center when they spin like my SR120 heli does? Or do they need to be more fixed taking into account retreating blade/advancing blade?
Also wondering what % of aileron throw and expo you are finding works best.
I've never flown an auto gyro before, I've got a smattering of heli experience, 30+ years of planks and I know how to use a rudder. I'm looking forward to this...ought to be fun!

Tally Ho!
SuperChief141 is offline Find More Posts by SuperChief141
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:16 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChief141 View Post
But I have a couple of questions.

I've always seen the "toothpick" used in place of the inner bolts, so that's what I've done in my limited a/gyro experience.

I think I had 80% ail. throw with 40% expo, and 100% elev./rudder throw with 30% expo on each. Mine was very controllable with these settings...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:22 PM
Boondocks, East Coast, USA
Joined Jun 2003
648 Posts
I am flying mine bone stock with a Nano 3S 1300 all the way forward. Mine seems to need a lot of down elevator trim. Even at lower speed. Anybody else run into this? I added alittle bit of nose weight and it helped alot. Even so, the elevator is trimmed down quite a bit to fly well. Anybody else adding nose weight for proper CG? I am using the 220mm per the manual but it is a little hard to figure exactly where that is. Very cool machine. Totally different than anything else I've flown. If I trim the elevator neutral and fly at the slowest possible speed to keep it in the air, I still have to use down elevator to keep it going forward and not up. I have read the thread but dont want to debate the same old stuff. Just looking for some practical flying advise. With a little bit of added nose weight and easy on the throttle it is fun to fly and I am happy with it. When I look at the HK Video, it seems like the are ripping it around pretty good at full throttle but there is no way I can fly mine like that without a bunch more nose weight. thanks fellas for your help.
Wolfman is offline Find More Posts by Wolfman
Last edited by Wolfman; Nov 20, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:28 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Hey Wolf, I have test flown three of these and they all fly pretty much the same. There is practically no way to use full throttle, with a fresh battery, without holding almost full down. It's kind of like a heli in that respect. If you want to go fast you have to pitch forward. They trim at about 1/3 throttle with elevator neutral or even a touch down. What does it take to land? I suspect you are at near idle and a bit of up. If you have to hold down to land, then there may be some other problem. In zero wind, you need a higher angle of attack and jockey the throttle to float around. At about 5-8mph breeze you can hover into it using throttle to hold position. In higher wind conditions, it takes a good bit of down and more throttle to penetrate.
Autogyros, by their very nature, are more about slow flying and zero rollout landings than high speed, bank and yank, plank birds.

I hope this helps.

Don
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:44 PM
Boondocks, East Coast, USA
Joined Jun 2003
648 Posts
Thanks Don. That helps. I can land at practically zero airspeed by just easing off the throttle and letting it settle down. On the wheels, no damage, grand fun. I think I may have been trying to push it too hard instead of just cruising around. Turns out I added about 1/8th oz of nose weight. Still trims out with a bit of down elevator, but very flyable. I have double checked the blade assmebly and have 100% stock running gear. I did have to mount the reciever aft of the battery but it is a very lighweight unit. As more video of these birds are available, I can see most of the other guys are just kind of floating around with minimul airspeed. I have been flying 100+ mph like the Funjet on 5s. Quite a change of pace! Thanks agian for your help.
Wolfman is offline Find More Posts by Wolfman
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:55 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Turns out I added about 1/8th oz of nose weight.
That's only 4 grams (1/8th oz) which is basically nothing.

The various brands of 1300mah lipos will have weight differences much more than that. Maybe your lipo is bit lighter than most?

I checked the hang angle of mine and it's right at 13-14* I have slightly larger/heavier wheels on mine.

From my understanding/reading most a/gyros fly well in the 12-18*range, so a bit more nose weight probably won't hurt anything...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70