HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:03 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,237 Posts
Maiden Complete

Happy to report that the maiden flight (& 2nd flight) went perfect.

Hand launched into a breezy 7-10mph wind and she flew away perfectly.

Several clicks of elev. trim (wanted to climb too much) and a few more left ail. clicks (already had some left ail. subtrim in) of trim and she was doing super.

With the decent winds today I could hover in one spot easily and then power away.

Made a few paint changes to mine (not done yet), along with larger wheels, packing taped the blades (highly recommend), balanced, etc.

One mod I HIGHLY suggest is to remove the inner blade attaching bolts/nuts leaving only the outer bolt. I then oversized the inner holes slightly so that a standard round toothpick would friction fit. This becomes a "fuse" and will break if you have a blade strike, hopefully preventing any damage. Just after landing the wind shifted and caused my A-G to tip over while the blades were still spinning pretty fast. No damage at all as two of my toothpicks sheared off allowing the blades to fold and not break.

THANKS TO THE H/KING DURAFLY TEAM FOR A GREAT GYRO!!
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:57 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,252 Posts
I thought I'd jump in and share a couple ideas/necessities I had.

First of all, there is no way I'm going to run to launch an aircraft. O I devised a simply ducted fan on a stick. The fan is on channel 8 (it's own receiver) so once the rotor is spinning adequately, I flip the throttle switch (er9x) and my tractor prop advances to where the stick is set and 3 seconds later the ducted fan stops.
Works very well.

My landings were not as successful...yet. I broke the piece in the head that seems to be designed to be the force fuse. Sure I had a spare but I used that as a template to make another piece out of plywood. I pressed both sides with two layers of carbon fiber tissue bonded with C.A.

Pictures show my replacement pieces for the head. I needed 16mm long 2mm screws -- but those were not in my quiver -- so I changed to 3mm cap head bolts and nylock nuts on the bottom.

I've not flown again with the repairs, but spun up the head and it seems to be just great. .
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:24 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
I broke the piece in the head that seems to be designed to be the force fuse.

That piece is also designed to flex so that each blade can "flap" up/down as needed. Making it completely rigid with ply/carbonfiber may not work out the best...
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined May 2009
6,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
That piece is also designed to flex so that each blade can "flap" up/down as needed. Making it completely rigid with ply/carbonfiber may not work out the best...
That's what makes the hobby so much fun. Can't improve on something without failing many times first.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:39 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,060 Posts
Scott...that's awesome!
So do the blades flex at all upward at the hinge point?
Make sure you grab the video camera!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:44 AM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
.....add two more to the successful flight list, I needed to add 30g lead to front due to only having 1000mah packs and had perfect flight. Second was a flying buddies, first ever auto gyro and first flight he nailed it like a pro. They love wind and do not require running to launch
Paradude is offline Find More Posts by Paradude
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:48 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,237 Posts
[QUOTE=Paradude;23297608They love wind and do not require running to launch[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I had a nice steady 7-10mph yesterday and I took about 3 steps forward and she flew right out of my hand...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:26 PM
Be here now!
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
I could not maiden it yet due to bad weather

ask21! is offline Find More Posts by ask21!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:17 PM
Keep it simple
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
974 Posts
Hi All,

I had another 4 flights with the Auto G today in almost calm conditions. I needed a longer take-off run to ensure that the rotor was up to speed, but this was not really a problem. The Auto G flies beautifully.

Here is another headcam movie of one of the flights. Higher quality movie shot by my mate Bob to follow soon.

Enjoy,

Al

Durafly Auto G 18 November 2012 (3 min 27 sec)
alfoot is online now Find More Posts by alfoot
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:14 PM
Defiance,Ohio
Joined Aug 2007
26 Posts
I put the first two flights on today. By watching all the videos, I was ready for the left hand lean on take off. The second flight I set the dx 8 timer for 10 minutes. I think it was too much. Thunderpower 1010 charger put 1087 mah back in the 1300 nano lipo. Next flight I'll back the timer to 9 minutes. What flight times is everyone getting?
dogdirt is offline Find More Posts by dogdirt
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:42 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
I maidened one of my buddies new Durafly today. After a 3-4 minute trim flight I brought it in to check everything out. I took it back off, turned her into the wind and handed it over to him. He flew it around for another 3-4 minutes and landed successfully! Although he has plenty of heli experience, that was his first time with an Autogyro. He was very excited. We have a new convert!

Don
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined May 2009
6,252 Posts
This is my plywood repaired head. An my I'm not going to run .. spin-up device.

I had problems getting it trimmed right .. well...left. It kept rolling to the right so I was fighting it most of the time. I should have kept the throttle up. O well.

HobbyKing Auto-G using Ducted Fan for spin-up (1 min 41 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by scott page; Nov 18, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:33 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Man, I hate that new autostabilisation program that YouTube offers. It will make the picture black out if the light isn't bright.
Scott, it looks like you might be trying to rush the takeoff. If there's no wind, your spinup devise looks like a big help. I had about a 5mph breeze and didn't need to accelerate much at all before it lifted off. If it is trimmed right, at about half throttle it should maintain altitude. After that, think of the throttle as a control surface. A little more and it climbs, a little less and it comes down. The elevator is more like a speed control. Push and it speeds up, pull and it slows down.
I'm not sure why it needed so much right aileron. Does it look like the rotor is tilted much either way when level on the bench? These birds are real pussycats so I'm not sure why yours is so off unless something was assembled wrong from the factory.
See if you can repost your video on YouTube without their "enhancement" so we can see what it was doing better.

Don
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:47 PM
What place .... is this ???
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
1,134 Posts
Dynam Auto-G Autogyro (8 min 0 sec)

Another two sucessful maidens by relative newbies, this looks the goods for an entry level machine alrighty.
Heppy Ket is offline Find More Posts by Heppy Ket
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:51 AM
Cheshire, England
Joined Mar 2001
504 Posts
Well, it was crying out for it

Had some lights laying around and found some time yesterday to play with a soldering iron. Got a chance to try it last night but after a dead calm day all the time the sun was up, it got a but windy (complete opposite to the normal state of affairs!). Still excellent fun though.

Only added 13g to the total all up weight and the white ones are particularly bright - easy enough when you've got a 3S setup on these 12v strips
Dangerous Dick is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous Dick