HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:15 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucam View Post
IMHO the manual is NOT wrong, it's just clerar you have to look the rotor IN FRONT of you.

Ok, I may have spoke too soon. I don't have my Auto-G/manual in hand yet (sigh), so I was referring to everyone's comments about the manual.
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:33 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,903 Posts
Does this help?
SafeLandings is online now Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:24 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucam View Post
IMHO the manual is NOT wrong, it's just clerar you have to look the rotor IN FRONT of you.
So the manual is NOT wrong, but for a rookie gyro driver like myself where this is my 1st gyro seen/flown as well as my 2nd non-HorizonHobby aircraft, I'm used to seeing the left AIL go up when you input left AIL on the Tx and the right AIL going down on a wing of an aircraft and visa versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Ok, I may have spoke too soon. I don't have my Auto-G/manual in hand yet (sigh), so I was referring to everyone's comments about the manual.
Not at all Sammy, I don't think ya spoke too soon, LOL, 'cause even some of us who HAVE the manual may not have known the photograph in the manual was looking at the front of the gryo (propellor in front of you) & NOT looking at her from the back (tail in front of you)

When your gyro arrives you'll be all set for a nice "roll free to the left" maiden!!!

p.s.- Thanks Safe for posting the manual with confirmed orientation for the control check!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Last edited by rcoconut; Nov 15, 2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: words added
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:18 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,600 Posts
Well I can now say that I can look at the manual 1st hand as my Auto-G arrived today

With the top and bottom manual photos being from the rear of the Auto-G, it's only logical that the center photo would be as well.

While the manual may not be "wrong," it's certainly not "right" and will certainly confuse many 1st time a/gyro pilots.

I do have to give kudoos to H/King for the GREAT packaging!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:42 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,775 Posts
Glad it finally arrived Sammy!!

Have fun with your maiden!!!

The sky gods will be more in your favor now the Rotor Blade configuration has been sorted out!!

Look forward to hearing 'bout your flight!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:11 PM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2003
582 Posts
Has anyone installed a single roll servo? Getting two servos to match is not fun. But then I worry if a single arm on the head up to the extra stress.
I ordered 3 extra blades and 2 had some damage. One was creased. I tried steaming it with so-so results. Most of the crease came out but the foam underneath did the football skin effect. Still flyable though. The other had a puncture. Dropped some thick foam safe ca and kicked it. It should be ok. As I have all the stuff I am going to balance all the blades to the same spec. Set all to the same weight and moment arm. At the low RPM they should turn, I may be able to get away with just replacing a damaged blade with a pre balanced one.
Ken
Ken Lilja is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lilja
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:49 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,822 Posts
.. Ken.......I....think that you will find it better to ballance the blades mounted to the plate ,as one unit ..To give the blades a little strength you can always cover them with 2" wide packageing tape....very strong /lite
.I'm sure that the two servos can be adjusted correctly ......basic aeromodeling........
Happy Landings
Chris.........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Last edited by britinoz; Nov 15, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:14 PM
United States, UT, Marysvale
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
I got mine today, The box it came in is presteen, no damage at all. Now I need to get rid of the snow that came about the same time as the Auto-G.
Vrated is offline Find More Posts by Vrated
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:04 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Just found this thread. I ordered one a couple days ago. It will be my first Auto Gyro. I have flown a couple that where set up already and even a kite! Here is a vid of me flying an old gyro kite kit built by a fellow club member First time flying a Gyro kite!

Rotor Flyer Maiden (1 min 17 sec)
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
Last edited by Lithonion; Nov 16, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:56 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Sep 2011
69 Posts
Yoohoo.Mine has left the ground!Hong Kong ground,that is.Should be here next week.
Years ago I built a model called "Gyrace",which was a sort-of autogyro.It had two 4-blade rotors on a small wing.The rotors were simple flat plate spruce/balsa concoctions,fitted to a central hub at an angle.

i had an OS 26fs on it,which was plenty of power
This had rudder/elevator control(and throttle) only.The rotors ran on little 3mm id ball bearings out of an old vcr.If you inverted this thing,and kept it that way,the rotors would stop,and start turning in the opposite direction.When pulling back out of the loop,the process was reversed back to "normal" rotation.Quite unnerving.
It flew quite nice,especially in a bit of a breeze.I gave it to a friend,who still has the bones of it somewhere.
I'll be more than happy if the HK gyro flies in a similar manner.
beaverbuddy is offline Find More Posts by beaverbuddy
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:07 AM
Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol, Bolzano
Joined Feb 2011
9 Posts
Just arrived

Hi guys, our Auto-G´s just arrived yesterday. I allready made some modifications.
When I glued the rudder on the tail the decals came off so i decided remove the decals completly. I used also some bigger wheels. See pics attached. Today we will maden the gyros. Will put some videos on youtube as soon as possible. Regards David
deidfly is offline Find More Posts by deidfly
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:51 AM
Ooh! I am so very angry!
United States, WA, Carnation
Joined Jan 2012
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deidfly View Post
Hi guys, our Auto-G´s just arrived yesterday. I allready made some modifications.
When I glued the rudder on the tail the decals came off so i decided remove the decals completly. I used also some bigger wheels. See pics attached. Today we will maden the gyros. Will put some videos on youtube as soon as possible. Regards David
That looks good. I always like to induvidualize my models as well. Did the decals come off easily and did they leave any residue or peel the foam, etc? I've got time to noodle over what I'm gonna with mine. It's still on the @#$!% slow tramp steamer from Hong Kong!

Tally Ho!
SuperChief141 is offline Find More Posts by SuperChief141
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:35 AM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChief141 View Post
That looks good. I always like to induvidualize my models as well. Did the decals come off easily and did they leave any residue or peel the foam, etc? I've got time to noodle over what I'm gonna with mine. It's still on the @#$!% slow tramp steamer from Hong Kong!

Tally Ho!
You'll find the decals come away very easily, they're waterslide so some low tac masking tape will get rid of them without any damage to the foam surface.

Paul.
Paul 1968 is online now Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:52 AM
Keep it simple
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
977 Posts
Hi all,

I haven't contributed to the autogyro threads in a long while, but I do keep looking in most days.

I fell for the AUTO G as soon as I saw it, and got mine from Hobbyking in less than a week delivered to the UK, which was pretty good.

It arrived undamaged, and I must say that it is a very well thought out machine, which went together without a hitch in about an hour, but I could probably have done it in half the time.

I must have been lucky because the blades (and then the assembled rotor assembly) needed no balancing whatsoever. The same was true of the propeller.

I flew it today for the first time, and I must say that it is one of the easier single rotor autogyros that I have flown. I had 4 flights in all, and here is a headcam movie of the second one. My mate Bob turned up later in the day with his proper camera so as soon as I receive the movie file, I'll post it here.

Enjoy,

Al

Durafly AUTO G 17 Nov 2012 (3 min 57 sec)
alfoot is online now Find More Posts by alfoot
Last edited by alfoot; Nov 17, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:14 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deidfly View Post
Looks NICE!! What size wheels did you go with?