HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:43 AM
Registered User
britinoz's Avatar
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,687 Posts
Will
I agree that a hand launch is good for this model ......but I think that for a beginer to make there first attemprts to fly in 10 mph wind is a little ambitious.
I am not trying to say that it will not handle these conditions.........but not for a beginner .....
4-5 MPH is a lot safer.
Happy Landings
Chris........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:44 AM
Registered User
Dangerous Dick's Avatar
Cheshire, England
Joined Mar 2001
504 Posts
So I now see the need for the 'Replacement Blade Grip assembly' spares

Looking at HK, they're already -3 stock.

Has anyone thought of making some of these up in different materials? Obviously the stronger you make this bit the more likely the 'break point' will move to either the blades, wooden supports, or rotor base assembly!

I'm thinking Carbon Fibre would definately be too strong, Aluminium too bendy (not always a bad thing)? How about ply - would it be strong enough to 'hold on' to the blades during normal flying conditions in the first place.

The main concern I have on the plastic (and most likely partly the blame for last nights failure) is how brittle it gets in cold weather. The model is left out, flown, and stressed all in the cold of the day plus contending with windchill, and then the slightest contact with the floor and it's 'game over'

Looks like the 'stock' replacement comes with all the nuts/bolts and spacers too when all most of us are going to need is just the 'Y' shape part most of the time?

Thoughts?
Dangerous Dick is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous Dick
Last edited by Dangerous Dick; Nov 14, 2012 at 04:45 AM. Reason: incorrect typing!
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:01 AM
Registered User
ducatirdr's Avatar
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,294 Posts
Brittle? YES!!!

I had mine fail at the bottom of a loop.

I will be ordering a few of these when they come back in stock. No need for the bolts and other parts. I just need the Y.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:04 AM
Registered User
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dick View Post
So I now see the need for the 'Replacement Blade Grip assembly' spares

Looking at HK, they're already -3 stock.

Has anyone thought of making some of these up in different materials? Obviously the stronger you make this bit the more likely the 'break point' will move to either the blades, wooden supports, or rotor base assembly!

I'm thinking Carbon Fibre would definately be too strong, Aluminium too bendy (not always a bad thing)? How about ply - would it be strong enough to 'hold on' to the blades during normal flying conditions in the first place.

The main concern I have on the plastic (and most likely partly the blame for last nights failure) is how brittle it gets in cold weather. The model is left out, flown, and stressed all in the cold of the day plus contending with windchill, and then the slightest contact with the floor and it's 'game over'

Looks like the 'stock' replacement comes with all the nuts/bolts and spacers too when all most of us are going to need is just the 'Y' shape part most of the time?

Thoughts?
In the Cierva C30 thread there has been lot of custom made idea for buil the own "Blade Grip assembly"

Anyhow ... all the plastic part are much more fragile in cold weather, and as well , the flexibility is quite different compared to warm weather ...

I still have to get my own Auto-G (not even a letter from custom about it ... damned slow post ) ... but based on the Cierva C30 ... I can say that eventually you can sandwich some "PVC" from a water bottle ... adding some fibre glass tape ... and ... you may have a custom "rotor head" in no time and almost no cost ...

e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:05 AM
Registered User
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
Brittle? YES!!!

I had mine fail at the bottom of a loop.

I will be ordering a few of these when they come back in stock. No need for the bolts and other parts. I just need the Y.


So ... we should no loop this bird in cold weather ????
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:24 AM
Registered User
ducatirdr's Avatar
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post


So ... we should no loop this bird in cold weather ????
I had a may have stressed it putting it in my car or during the first take off attempt when it tipped on its side. I did fly it about 4 times since then and was rolling and looping it previously that day without incident. Then on my 5th flight it let one of the blades go at about 30 feet up. The good news was nothing got damaged with it tumbling down to the baseball field turf. I reinserted the landing gear and had to twist the tail around the boom back inline. I replaced the Y with the included spare and everything worked fine.

So who knows why it let go. I will not roll it or loop it any more because I don't think it was previous damage but I can't be 100% sure.

I will say that I'm 100% happy with this purchase. The thing flies great and is very different to fly and fun. I would like to see someone offer a carbon fiber replacement Y so I can trust the thing in higher g settings.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:21 AM
JOHN 3:16
Sammy70's Avatar
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ask21! View Post
So, when hanging at 15° will the rotor disc be at 0° or not? I assume not...

Sorry, I should have clarified that the hang angle is measured along the fuse centerline/horiz. stab, not the rotor disc.


Like this:
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:27 AM
Be here now!
ask21!'s Avatar
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Sorry, I should have clarified that the hang angle is measured along the fuse centerline/horiz. stab, not the rotor disc.


Like this:
My english is a bit confused sometimes.
My question is: after my hang angle is 15, wich should be the right rotor angle? Which aspect of the flight does this angle change in an autogyro?
ask21! is offline Find More Posts by ask21!
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:10 AM
Fuzzy user
Lucam's Avatar
Italy, Lombardy, Griante
Joined Oct 2003
655 Posts
mine has arrived too!
hope to maiden it this weekend
Lucam is offline Find More Posts by Lucam
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:14 AM
Fuzzy user
Lucam's Avatar
Italy, Lombardy, Griante
Joined Oct 2003
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ask21! View Post
My english is a bit confused sometimes.
My question is: after my hang angle is 15, wich should be the right rotor angle? Which aspect of the flight does this angle change in an autogyro?
15 degrees nose down when you hold the gyro using rotor head as an handle is for CoG only

the angle between mast and rotor is 90°as long as elevator is neutral
Lucam is offline Find More Posts by Lucam
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:46 AM
Be here now!
ask21!'s Avatar
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucam View Post
15 degrees nose down when you hold the gyro using rotor head as an handle is for CoG only

the angle between mast and rotor is 90°as long as elevator is neutral
So it is normal to have gyro hanged 15° nose down and rotor still tited back (with this attitude.)?
ask21! is offline Find More Posts by ask21!
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:52 AM
Ooh! I am so very angry!
SuperChief141's Avatar
United States, WA, Carnation
Joined Jan 2012
247 Posts
Pdf

Anyone go a link for a PDF of the manual I can drool over while I wait for the tramp steamer from Hong Kong to deliver mine? Thanks.

Tally Ho!
SuperChief141 is offline Find More Posts by SuperChief141
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:54 AM
Registered User
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ask21! View Post
So it is normal to have gyro hanged 15° nose down and rotor still tited back (with this attitude.)?
It sound all messed up

Whats wrong with CoG ?

Everybody can measure it

15deg ... how the hell you can measure it ... anyhow ... for this auto-g ,,, with fix pitch head .... there is no much question about what means 15 deg ...

But on the cierva ... where:
- Pitch is variable
- Suggested motor should have an angle back ... so not mount "flat" on the motor mount ...

And the cierva is used in the picture

Anyhow ... I think the most easy way is just stick with battery recommendation ... so CoG will be correct
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:58 AM
Mildly Confused
Paul 1968's Avatar
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,389 Posts
I just ordered my second one. I lost my first in a mid air collision with a piper cub today............bugger! Flys absolutely fantastic. I was gutted. Hey ho though, its a 3 dimensional hobby. Bad thing though I had only put 6 packs through it.
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:02 AM
Registered User
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul 1968 View Post
I just ordered my second one. I lost my first in a mid air collision with a piper cub today............bugger! Flys absolutely fantastic. I was gutted. Hey ho though, its a 3 dimensional hobby. Bad thing though I had only put 6 packs through it.
Would have been nice to get the crash on Video

It is really totally unrepairable ?
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Slow-g slow stick auto gyro PilotDragonfly Auto Gyros 4 May 23, 2012 08:14 PM
Sold Zenoah G-23 w/muffler and FEMA auto start LotusTRBO Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 1 Jul 05, 2006 11:27 PM
Discussion Xero G Auto. epc2 Electric Heli Talk 2 Apr 01, 2006 07:08 PM
Video Xero G Auto. epc2 Electric Heli Talk 0 Apr 01, 2006 02:35 PM