SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:07 AM
United Kingdom, Harpenden
Joined Oct 2009
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Did he say "yea, I meant to do that" ?
No he just said" bloody hell did I just do a loop?
BigTradioman is offline Find More Posts by BigTradioman
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:59 AM
Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg
Joined Sep 2005
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTradioman View Post
In my opinion and experience as a AutoGyro pilot: there are many circumstances with AutoGyros that need opposite control inputs unlike conventional fixed wing models. For example Gyro's do not like turning to the right so you need to initiate the turn with the rudder and then hold in some degree of left rotor to maintain a smooth turn and prevent the nose from tucking under, which will educe the lift as the blades slow down. Also, when landing and doing "auto's" the Gyro will need lots of rudder inputs and hardly any roll input as some torque reaction (good old Newtons law of motion "every action has a reaction") is experienced.
Thanks for that good explanation. Taking the guesswork out somehow
Aender69 is online now Find More Posts by Aender69
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:54 AM
Cheshire, England
Joined Mar 2001
504 Posts
Just 'maidened' my Auto'G.
Actually got it from HK last Wednesday but was away on business, then had to complete the decorating I started a couple of weeks ago before I could get the box open .
Had a couple of spare minutes this morning so got the kit out and before I knew it I had it together, programmed into the Tx and ready for the off.
It is a bit windy today but you know how it is with new models - they've just got to go up .
Tried an ROG as no-one around to hand-launch for me. Spun the blades a bit as directed, slowly increased the throttle and away she went lifting off without any drama at all. Flew around getting the trims sorted and she was perfectly happy in the sky - I was tempted to start chucking the controls around but then I remembered the battery was just 'placed' into the bay and not secured - a recipe for disaster if any loops or rolls were attempted .
The timer went at seven minutes and I bought her around to land - she slowed up perfectly and touched down gently onto the grass. The battery is charging now so I don't have any power draw as yet but another is ready to go when I've eaten my lunch.
What a fantastic little toy - almost straight out of the box to the field before you can charge a LiPo (that's if you still go at 1C that is!). Well impressed.
Dangerous Dick is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous Dick
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:49 AM
Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg
Joined Sep 2005
261 Posts
Is that windsock on your picture showing your actual maiden wind conditions?
Aender69 is online now Find More Posts by Aender69
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:18 AM
Cheshire, England
Joined Mar 2001
504 Posts
Yep - gusting a bit
Dangerous Dick is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous Dick
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:19 AM
United States, UT, Marysvale
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
Double D,
Thanks for shareing. I hope my first experiance with the Auto-G is as pleasant as yours was.
Vrated is offline Find More Posts by Vrated
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:49 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,705 Posts
Maiden was this morning with no wind..... Didn't go well

Pre-rotated the blades for a ROG take off, slowly applied power and she rolled left coming to a stop leaning on her rotor blades as well as her ELE. No damage but we did have to re-center the tail section since she was leaning to the left on her rotor and ELE.

Take two, tried to pre-rotate the blades "faster" and full power was immediately applied. The roll to the left began and the sticks were full right AIL & full right RUDD, she did get airborne a tad but was rolling to far to the left and came down to a stop on one of her rotors and nose. Damage this time,

The Blade Grip did it's job (good thing they give you an extra one) breaking at the rotor head. Need to be replaced with the supplied Blade Grip.

Prop broke as well as the motor mount. New prop/rotor blades were ordered last week in case I needed 'em, obviously I need 'em BUT the rotor blades are fine and the motor mount looks like it can be saved with Gorilla Glue

That's where she's at now, awaiting to be repaired. As far as critiquing the maiden goes.... we're guessing from other experiences described here it was rotor speed, LACK OF ROTOR speed!!

Next time around if the wind is not blowing we're gonna hand launch her. Even if the wind is blowing I think I'll hand launch her so I can get the "feel" of what the rotor speed needs to be before she gets airborne. Also, nobody has mentioned control horn placement, I think we'll also move the control rod to the inner most hole of the control horn on the AIL? What do you guys think?

Good luck and hope your maiden goes well, look forward to hearing more experiences regarding maidens and flights!

p.s.- congrats with your maiden Dangerous!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Last edited by rcoconut; Nov 13, 2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: words added
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1 Posts
I come today to self-g.
someone could tell me where is the center of grabedad exactly?
spyner to 220mm of this?
do not quite understand the manual.
greetings and thanks.
blau is offline Find More Posts by blau
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:18 PM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,332 Posts
blau

You must be using a translator but I think I understand. How to measure the center of gravity?

I used the recommended battery and just flew it. That worked fine.

Anyone else have a picture on how to measure CG on this thing?
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:46 PM
United States, CO, Frisco
Joined Jul 2010
31 Posts
Has anyone tried a two blade prop? If so, what size and how is the performance?

Thanks!
Mt.Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Mt.Flyer
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:49 PM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined May 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blau View Post
I come today to self-g.
someone could tell me where is the center of grabedad exactly?
spyner to 220mm of this?
do not quite understand the manual.
greetings and thanks.
the "220mm"on manual means:From the tip of the spinner to CG,the distance is 220mm
suzanne lee is offline Find More Posts by suzanne lee
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:23 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
Anyone else have a picture on how to measure CG on this thing?

Remember guys, autogyros don't have a "fixed" CG point like a fixed wing aircraft.

Instead, it's all about the hang angle.

Install your lipo, hold the Auto-G by the mast button and the nose should hang down around 15* (at least that's a decent starting point for most a/gyros)
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:35 PM
H-King, DuraFly, Turnigy
Joined Mar 2008
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Maiden was this morning with no wind..... Didn't go well

Pre-rotated the blades for a ROG take off, slowly applied power and she rolled left coming to a stop leaning on her rotor blades as well as her ELE. No damage but we did have to re-center the tail section since she was leaning to the left on her rotor and ELE.

Take two, tried to pre-rotate the blades "faster" and full power was immediately applied. The roll to the left began and the sticks were full right AIL & full right RUDD, she did get airborne a tad but was rolling to far to the left and came down to a stop on one of her rotors and nose. Damage this time,

The Blade Grip did it's job (good thing they give you an extra one) breaking at the rotor head. Need to be replaced with the supplied Blade Grip.

Prop broke as well as the motor mount. New prop/rotor blades were ordered last week in case I needed 'em, obviously I need 'em BUT the rotor blades are fine and the motor mount looks like it can be saved with Gorilla Glue

That's where she's at now, awaiting to be repaired. As far as critiquing the maiden goes.... we're guessing from other experiences described here it was rotor speed, LACK OF ROTOR speed!!

Next time around if the wind is not blowing we're gonna hand launch her. Even if the wind is blowing I think I'll hand launch her so I can get the "feel" of what the rotor speed needs to be before she gets airborne. Also, nobody has mentioned control horn placement, I think we'll also move the control rod to the inner most hole of the control horn on the AIL? What do you guys think?

Good luck and hope your maiden goes well, look forward to hearing more experiences regarding maidens and flights!

p.s.- congrats with your maiden Dangerous!!
Surprisingly the more wind the better, 10mph +/-. When the blades start spinning in the wind you will know when their going fast enough and the model will get light in your hands.

For your first flight I recommend hand launching, just get comfortable holding it and then gently launch it with some power. If the blades are spinning fast enough the auto-g will have excellent slow-flight performance.
will3d4food is offline Find More Posts by will3d4food
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:46 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by will3d4food View Post
Surprisingly the more wind the better, 10mph +/-. When the blades start spinning in the wind you will know when their going fast enough and the model will get light in your hands.

For your first flight I recommend hand launching, just get comfortable holding it and then gently launch it with some power. If the blades are spinning fast enough the auto-g will have excellent slow-flight performance.
Thank you for confirming a hand launch for sure when she's back up and running for me!! Any thoughts about moving the control rods to the inner most hole with the AIL? Or is that not necessary?

Thanks again for the help!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:12 AM
Be here now!
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Remember guys, autogyros don't have a "fixed" CG point like a fixed wing aircraft.

Instead, it's all about the hang angle.

Install your lipo, hold the Auto-G by the mast button and the nose should hang down around 15* (at least that's a decent starting point for most a/gyros)
So, when hanging at 15 will the rotor disc be at 0 or not? I assume not...
So there will be 2 angles needed to know...i think! Can anyone clarify my doubts please.

If I hang my auto-g, it will hangh over 15 but the rotor disc won't be parallel to terrain.
ask21! is offline Find More Posts by ask21!