HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:31 AM
Registered User
Peterborough
Joined Feb 2009
155 Posts
HI Guys,

I maidened my Auto-G yesterday, and thought you might be interested in how I got on.

The auto-G went together very quickly and was ready for flight in about 30 mins, except for balancing.
I found that the rotors were not balanced and needed up to .5g of tape to achieve balance, my prop also required balancing having one heavy blade.

I decied to fly it as it comes, to check out how any newcomer might get on with it. I was a bit concerned about the pitch control through an elevator instead of the rotors.

First flight was in virtually no wind. I spun up the rotors by hand and eased her forward on the grass until the rotors sounded right, then opened her up a bit more, she responded by taking off in the most leasurely manner, simply lifting straight up very gently, without a trace of roll in either direction. I found her very easy to fly, although like every other autogyro, rudder is required. She does a very elegant touch and go and I found her very manouverable. It was also easy to slow her right up, using the elevator. the landing was a non event, she slows down nicely and it was very easy to do a three point landing.

I didn't try any loops or rolls, to be honest, I didn't feel like she had enough grunt to perform either of these. Perhaps a decent 2 blade prop might help. I will probably try this in the future.

As the day went on, the wind got up slightly, probably only 10 mph, so not much really. On my last flight, as soon as I put her down on the grass, the blades started to spin up. I didn't have to even start them moving by hand. The flight went very well, just like the first two. The problem came when landing it, or rather just after landing it. Because the head is fixed pitch, after you have landed into wind, the wind just keeps the rotors spinning meaning she could easily be blown over. I manged to get to her before anything nasty happened by keeping the motor running enough to hold her still, then grabbed the fin and lifted to kill the rotor speed.

If there had been any more wind, it would have been very difficult after touchdown. So thinking about this I have been trying to come up with ideas on how to kill the rotors after landing. I havn't decided which way I will go, but here are some of my ideas.
1) Convert to standard head with pitch control
2) Rig up a long skid that can be controlled thro a servo to keep the tail well up after landing.
3) Have a fixed long skid at the rear, and hand launch

1) is probably my favourite, but I havn't worked out how I will achieve this as yet.

Good Luck

Ian
ismith2uk is offline Find More Posts by ismith2uk
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:36 AM
Registered User
britinoz's Avatar
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,604 Posts
Ian
What you do is carry a piece of rag in your pocket and throw it into the rotor blades to stop them...............
Chris..............
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:58 AM
Registered User
Peterborough
Joined Feb 2009
155 Posts
Chris,

Two problems with that, you have to get to the auto-g before it flips over and the blades are rigidly attached with two bolts so cannot fold if they are stopped quickly.

I would have preferred to only attach the blades with one bolt, but the bolt holes aren't close enough to the spanwise CG.

cheers

Ian
ismith2uk is offline Find More Posts by ismith2uk
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:03 AM
Registered User
Ricardo1500's Avatar
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
346 Posts
So Ian /Rich

Who is going to be the first with the two blade conversion ?
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:45 AM
Registered User
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
6,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismith2uk View Post
HI Guys,

I maidened my Auto-G yesterday, and thought you might be interested in how I got on.

The auto-G went together very quickly and was ready for flight in about 30 mins, except for balancing.
I found that the rotors were not balanced and needed up to .5g of tape to achieve balance, my prop also required balancing having one heavy blade.

I decied to fly it as it comes, to check out how any newcomer might get on with it. I was a bit concerned about the pitch control through an elevator instead of the rotors.

First flight was in virtually no wind. I spun up the rotors by hand and eased her forward on the grass until the rotors sounded right, then opened her up a bit more, she responded by taking off in the most leasurely manner, simply lifting straight up very gently, without a trace of roll in either direction. I found her very easy to fly, although like every other autogyro, rudder is required. She does a very elegant touch and go and I found her very manouverable. It was also easy to slow her right up, using the elevator. the landing was a non event, she slows down nicely and it was very easy to do a three point landing.

I didn't try any loops or rolls, to be honest, I didn't feel like she had enough grunt to perform either of these. Perhaps a decent 2 blade prop might help. I will probably try this in the future.

As the day went on, the wind got up slightly, probably only 10 mph, so not much really. On my last flight, as soon as I put her down on the grass, the blades started to spin up. I didn't have to even start them moving by hand. The flight went very well, just like the first two. The problem came when landing it, or rather just after landing it. Because the head is fixed pitch, after you have landed into wind, the wind just keeps the rotors spinning meaning she could easily be blown over. I manged to get to her before anything nasty happened by keeping the motor running enough to hold her still, then grabbed the fin and lifted to kill the rotor speed.

If there had been any more wind, it would have been very difficult after touchdown. So thinking about this I have been trying to come up with ideas on how to kill the rotors after landing. I havn't decided which way I will go, but here are some of my ideas.
1) Convert to standard head with pitch control
2) Rig up a long skid that can be controlled thro a servo to keep the tail well up after landing.
3) Have a fixed long skid at the rear, and hand launch

1) is probably my favourite, but I havn't worked out how I will achieve this as yet.

Good Luck

Ian
Option 1 would be cool ... but does not sound an easy option.

What about add a little 2.5g servo, and use it as "brake" for the rotor ... it sounds a much more easy option.

I'm wandering how critical is this problem ... another guy here reported he did crash this auto-g , due to the wind while it was on the ground and landed up ...
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:16 AM
Registered User
ducatirdr's Avatar
Central Massachusetts
Joined Aug 2006
1,263 Posts
Ian

I read your report and was shocked at the lack of unwanted aileron roll during take off. Does your gyro require different aileron settings for high and low throttle?
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:14 AM
Registered User
Peterborough
Joined Feb 2009
155 Posts
HI ducatirdr,

No the gyro did not require different aileron setting for high and low throttle.

If you are getting a lot of roll on takeoff (to the left), then your rotors wern't up to speed when you took off.

Cheers

ian
ismith2uk is offline Find More Posts by ismith2uk
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:25 AM
Registered User
ducatirdr's Avatar
Central Massachusetts
Joined Aug 2006
1,263 Posts
Thanks good to know. What about chopping the throttle and gliding. I notice there is a tendency to roll there as well. Is that just a sign of stalling?

Tom
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:31 AM
Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg
Aender69's Avatar
Joined Sep 2005
258 Posts
gifted cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing View Post
The Auto-G in the vid is totally stock, the loops take a little practice that's all, it's much more about technique than power.......loops are not difficult, you just need to get the technique right and practice.......something else as well....we get ONE model to make a video with and the filming usually takes no more than half a dozen flights.
No offense intended, Scott, I just transposed movie business (practics) practice...

(Hm, practics, is that word even real?)
Aender69 is offline Find More Posts by Aender69
Last edited by Aender69; Nov 12, 2012 at 06:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:30 AM
JOHN 3:16
Sammy70's Avatar
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismith2uk View Post
d the blades are rigidly attached with two bolts so cannot fold if they are stopped quickly.

Can't you remove one bolt per blade and use a balsa dowel rod in its place as many a/gyros are?
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:58 AM
BigTradioman's Avatar
United Kingdom, Harpenden
Joined Oct 2009
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Nice video ...

Interesting ... still nobody making loops like in the HK daily video

Can't believe HK guys are better pilots then "rcgroups" people
My buddy looped and rolled his yesterday on it's maiden flight. I don't think he really meant to, it just worked out that way when he got disoriented! It landed safely and was all in one piece.
BigTradioman is online now Find More Posts by BigTradioman
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:40 PM
JOHN 3:16
Sammy70's Avatar
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTradioman View Post
My buddy looped and rolled his yesterday on it's maiden flight. I don't think he really meant to, it just worked out that way when he got disoriented!

Did he say "yea, I meant to do that" ?
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:22 PM
Registered User
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Aug 2011
158 Posts
aileron and rudder mix

Hi all do you think that putting a mix of aileron and rudder would work for this to be used in turns in the TX?

thanks .chops.
chops3 is offline Find More Posts by chops3
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:44 PM
Registered User
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
6,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chops3 View Post
Hi all do you think that putting a mix of aileron and rudder would work for this to be used in turns in the TX?

thanks .chops.
It sounds like you are a "lazy" banks and yanks pilot

In my view better to keep the two control independent ... since based on the attitude you may roll and yaw in the same "direction" but as well in the opposite ... at least this is what I experience with my lazy turning glider



Ps: I fly also heli and quad ... but these move in any directions ... so no need for yaw them
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:06 AM
BigTradioman's Avatar
United Kingdom, Harpenden
Joined Oct 2009
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chops3 View Post
Hi all do you think that putting a mix of aileron and rudder would work for this to be used in turns in the TX?

thanks .chops.
In my opinion and experience as a AutoGyro pilot: there are many circumstances with AutoGyros that need opposite control inputs unlike conventional fixed wing models. For example Gyro's do not like turning to the right so you need to initiate the turn with the rudder and then hold in some degree of left rotor to maintain a smooth turn and prevent the nose from tucking under, which will educe the lift as the blades slow down. Also, when landing and doing "auto's" the Gyro will need lots of rudder inputs and hardly any roll input as some torque reaction (good old Newtons law of motion "every action has a reaction") is experienced.
BigTradioman is online now Find More Posts by BigTradioman
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Slow-g slow stick auto gyro PilotDragonfly Auto Gyros 4 May 23, 2012 08:14 PM
Sold Zenoah G-23 w/muffler and FEMA auto start LotusTRBO Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 1 Jul 05, 2006 11:27 PM
Discussion Xero G Auto. epc2 Electric Heli Talk 2 Apr 01, 2006 07:08 PM
Video Xero G Auto. epc2 Electric Heli Talk 0 Apr 01, 2006 02:35 PM