HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:21 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
thanks for showing the pics. they are surely better than words. i was planning to mount them down in the wing. but i like that method much better. makes sense. also, what glue is best to use? wood glue?
I'd recommend wood glue on this one. I've used super glue for this type of mounting but only on larger blocks of wood where I can also add a wood screw for added security.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:54 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,642 Posts
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...&productname=i was wondering if this esc would work on a plane? its designed for muticopters, but it would fit inside the nacelle on my ys-11.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,642 Posts
the manufactor of this plane engineered it for retracts. they've already got some small cuts in certain parts. all you have to do is cut them with a hobby knife. its also got plywood for you to mount retracts to. you can see in the pics where the dotted lines are. the monocote was covering it.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:10 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,415 Posts
Quote:
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...&productname=i was wondering if this esc would work on a plane? its designed for muticopters, but it would fit inside the nacelle on my ys-11.
Personally I'd go with the Dynam 40 amp
http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dye-1004-40a-esc.html
I've haven't had any issues with the Dynam ESC and I have the Grand Cruiser, Turbo Jet, and the Catalina, all with Dynam ESCs.
I'd recommend running a separate BEC. I like the Dimension Engineering Sport BEC. http://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/sportbec.
Castle makes a good one too.

I like the fact that they designed this plane with retracts in mind. A lot of ARFs aren't and it requires a lot of extra work and reinforcing.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:23 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,642 Posts
why hasnt any rc manufactorer came out with a torsion hinge. a hinge that has a spring in it, and can spread open 180 degrees. im sure a lot of people would use them for gear doors. thats one thing this hobby is missing. kinda like the spring hinges on a house door. go thru the door, and it'll close itself. im planning to find a 180 degree torsion hinge, and use it to hold my gear doors open. and when the gear goes up, ill have some kinda tension string pull them closed.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:30 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,598 Posts
Quote:
why hasnt any rc manufactorer came out with a torsion hinge. a hinge that has a spring in it, and can spread open 180 degrees. im sure a lot of people would use them for gear doors. thats one thing this hobby is missing. kinda like the spring hinges on a house door. go thru the door, and it'll close itself. im planning to find a 180 degree torsion hinge, and use it to hold my gear doors open. and when the gear goes up, ill have some kinda tension string pull them closed.
There is Boss. . .I'm holding one in my hand. . .its just a nightmare to find one because of how the chinese label it . . . .I.E what they call it.

They don't call it a spring hinge.

They come on the airfield b-25 and the F-117 nighthawk. . . On the gear doors already installed.
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:32 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,598 Posts
BTW nice work Chrisgo! Your YS-11 retracts look slick!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:57 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,642 Posts
thanks, guess ill have to buy an fms b-25. they actually copied that design from a guy named "sundancer", here on rcgroups. he takes their planes, re-builds them, & tells them how to make improvements, & they use his designs.they just sent him their new all metal retracts for him to test, they havent been released yet. im talking about being able to order the torsion hinges in a package. or going to your LHS and grabbing some.
Last edited by gchrisgo34; Nov 25, 2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:00 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,642 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/priva...=11139947heres the message he sent me earlier. and the springs im going to order to hold the doors open. hes got a bunch of videos about the mods & improvements he does to FMS planes. hes an artist
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,642 Posts
you can see, my second cutting is much cleaner than my first. its a learning experience. im trying to figure out how im going to install the nose gear. that flat piece of wood in the bottom of the fues. would be perfect if it were a little higher. the retract unit wont fit inside the fues.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,642 Posts
im thinking of placing a flat piece of plywood inside the nose where i would need it. and then using expanding foam to fill in around it. and then just carve it out to where i need it. its going to be hard to get my hands in there to build a good solid retract mount.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:27 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,598 Posts
Quote:
im thinking of placing a flat piece of plywood inside the nose where i would need it. and then using expanding foam to fill in around it. and then just carve it out to where i need it. its going to be hard to get my hands in there to build a good solid retract mount.
Excellent progress Chrisgo You-Go Chris-Go!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:46 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,415 Posts
After looking at mine I think the best place to put the gear would be where I have the red circle. That bulkhead right in front of it is where the fixed gear is mounted. If you put the gear any further forward there isn't going to be enough room when it retracts, that is unless you are going to have your gear retract rearward. The plywood and expanding foam really isn't the best idea for mounting landing gear. You need a good solid mount for them or you are going to have nothing but problems, and that expanding foam isn't going to give you a solid mount.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,642 Posts
i just realized its already designed for a front retract. its designed to fold forward, which is scale. but, that puts the strut way back behind the cockpit. which wouldnt look very good. so, im going to try to turn it around and have it fold down forwards. and have the strut under the cockpit.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:50 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,598 Posts
Here is some Great Japanese YS-11 action.

YS-11 Action - Japan Air Commuter (3 min 26 sec)
RCG Plus Member