HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:47 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
Ok trigger was just pulled. I ordered this kit and should have it within a couple of weeks. Now the planning starts! But I have a couple of builds ahead of this.
Cool I look forward to another YS-11 kit build!

I can't wait to see more YS-11 build from Chrisgo
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:15 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Cool I look forward to another YS-11 kit build!

I can't wait to see more YS-11 build from Chrisgo
Yes, Chrisgo has the lead! We will follow ;-)
captain MoMo is online now Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:23 AM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,640 Posts
cool beans!!!!! ive been hoping this model will catch on. i always take the time to build my planes the right way. and this one is special to me. im seriously considering ordering another one, i like this model so much.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:22 PM
Penguins can´t fly?
Germany, SH, Glückstadt
Joined Jan 2011
36 Posts
Just to clarify M4x7 means 4mm diameter and 7mm lenght not pitch.
The pitch is specified by the term M4(standart metric thread).
Only if the pitch differs from the standart for the threads diameter a third number is given but will be placed between the diameter and the length.
i.e. M4x0.25x25 is a screw with 4mm diameter 25mm length and a pitch of 0.25mm!

A 4mm screw with a pitch of 7 would look pretty funny.
SKIPPER2384 is offline Find More Posts by SKIPPER2384
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:33 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,415 Posts
The bolt I was referring to is an M4 X.7 and the .7 is indeed the pitch. I goofed and forgot the decimal point.
Really glad you posted on this thread just to point out my mistake.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Last edited by Herman Munster; Nov 21, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:08 AM
Penguins can´t fly?
Germany, SH, Glückstadt
Joined Jan 2011
36 Posts
I just hate false information.
And if someone where to look for such a bolt no one is the wiser because it just doesn´t exist.
By the way even a .7 pitch bolt would be a pretty generic part and you still don´t know how long it is.
I´m sorry if I have offended you but I work as a metalworker in the metric sytem every day so
I saw a piece of incorrect information and corrected it according to my knowledge.
SKIPPER2384 is offline Find More Posts by SKIPPER2384
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,640 Posts
its no big deal, i went to the hobby shop & picked up a 4mm screw the next day, so it was a big help. otherwise id've bought 2-3 differnet sizes just to be sure. they fit like a glove. havent been able to work on this bird for the last couple days & its been killing me. its so pretty, i dont want to cut into the bottom of the wing to install the retracts. even though its going to be covered up. i hope everyone has a great turkey day & thanks
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:33 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
its no big deal, i went to the hobby shop & picked up a 4mm screw the next day, so it was a big help. otherwise id've bought 2-3 differnet sizes just to be sure. they fit like a glove. havent been able to work on this bird for the last couple days & its been killing me. its so pretty, i dont want to cut into the bottom of the wing to install the retracts. even though its going to be covered up. i hope everyone has a great turkey day & thanks
Glad to hear you have the Bolt problem fastened up!

Happy thanksgiving to you & your family as well Sir!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,640 Posts
ive been trying to figure out how im going to hold the gear doors open during take-offs. i had problems with my p-47 doors getting blown around by the props and they would jam. i plan to have them held closed with tension wire, or string. im also trying to figure out weather to go with split doors or a single door. id like to find the most simple & lightweight design possible. i dont have a lot of gear door experience. any ideas?or links?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:19 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,472 Posts
Quote:
ive been trying to figure out how im going to hold the gear doors open during take-offs. i had problems with my p-47 doors getting blown around by the props and they would jam. i plan to have them held closed with tension wire, or string. im also trying to figure out weather to go with split doors or a single door. id like to find the most simple & lightweight design possible. i dont have a lot of gear door experience. any ideas?or links?
You might wanna try and make spring hinges. . .I.E hinges that always want to stay open & you run a rubberband accross the gear doors under the retract & when the gears retact up they pull the rubberband & close the doors. . .. I'm using this technique on my two DC-9's. . . . .go check'em out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,640 Posts
yeah, thats probably the best way to go about it. i just need to find the right springs, with the right tension. where did you get yours?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,640 Posts
i got a bit more tinkering done today. not having the motors is really halting my progress. i need those before i can figure a lot of other things out. How do most people secure a servo in wings like this? and whats the best glue to use with balsa? wood glue? i plan to glue in some small square pieces of wood, and kinda build a box around the servos. it seems as though this plane was made with the idea of installing retracts. my retracts will fit perfectly in those squares with 1mm of clearance on either side. and the manufactor has already partially cut some squares out, where the strut would fold up. im going to have to move the retracts back a bit though, so they'll fit inside the nacelles. my 70esc's are too big to fit inside the motor mount structure. so, ill either have to get some smaller ones, or, install them inside the feuselage. what do yall think?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:05 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,472 Posts
Looking great!. . .Not having the parts you need can be a real problem. . . .about half of my builds are on hold due to not having the necessary parts to move forward.. . . .be thankfull your working on 1 plane & not 10+
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:28 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,415 Posts
Quote:
i got a bit more tinkering done today. not having the motors is really halting my progress. i need those before i can figure a lot of other things out. How do most people secure a servo in wings like this? and whats the best glue to use with balsa? wood glue? i plan to glue in some small square pieces of wood, and kinda build a box around the servos. it seems as though this plane was made with the idea of installing retracts. my retracts will fit perfectly in those squares with 1mm of clearance on either side. and the manufactor has already partially cut some squares out, where the strut would fold up. im going to have to move the retracts back a bit though, so they'll fit inside the nacelles. my 70esc's are too big to fit inside the motor mount structure. so, ill either have to get some smaller ones, or, install them inside the feuselage. what do yall think?

Here's a link to the building instructions, for what they are worth.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5X90231X53.pdf

As far as mounting the servos, I figured a picture works better than trying to explain it. The four small hardwood blocks for the servo mount should be included in the kit. Just make sure to drill a pilot hole for the screws to prevent splitting the wood.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:33 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,640 Posts
thanks for showing the pics. they are surely better than words. i was planning to mount them down in the wing. but i like that method much better. makes sense. also, what glue is best to use? wood glue?