SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:33 AM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,414 Posts
chrisgo, neat stuff you are doing here but have read and re-read your thread and cannot find details on those retracts? Are they HK, if so do you have P/N? Like many, I find the E-Flight work great but too many $. But then Mr Rolls (or Mr Royce) said that "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten".
killickb is offline Find More Posts by killickb
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:00 AM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,659 Posts
yeah, they're from HK, and they are very nice. what is p/n?
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
yeah, they're from HK, and they are very nice. what is p/n?
part number
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:27 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,414 Posts
Thanks Herman, forget that maybe we are not all engineering types.

Chrisgo ---- I see so many options in the HK website that having the Part Numbers helps to identify 100%. Are the gear still cycling fine?
killickb is offline Find More Posts by killickb
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,659 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...em_Small_.html here they are, out of stock too. im glad i grabbed mine when i did. and yeah, they still work fine. they cycle much slower than regular plastic retracts. which i like. much more scale.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:52 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,802 Posts
Quote:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...em_Small_.html here they are, out of stock too. im glad i grabbed mine when i did. and yeah, they still work fine. they cycle much slower than regular plastic retracts. which i like. much more scale.

Chrisgo,

What did you use for struts and wheels ? I'm finished with the C310 build and might tackle the YS-11 which to me looks like the Japanese tried to copy the Convair 580. They were copy-cats back then. Watching the build log closely.

Thanks for taking one for the team on this one. I'm sure yours will turn out great !

When I do dive in, I'll dive in by ordering everything needed. Motors, esc's, retracts, etc.

Maybe if I hover over the HK page long enough, the price will come down even more !
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,659 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...in_Trike_.html the japanese are still copying people. they offered to buy the russians su-35 fighter awhile back, the russians gave them the plans of the su-35 to look at, and japan just built them thereselves, instead of buying them like they promised. they copy everything from everyone else. look at the clone spectrum tx's & rx's. and a lot of the planes HK sells. they just copy other peoples designes. i wouldnt expect the ys-11 price to drop any lower. they're almost giving it away now.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:21 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Chrisgo,

What did you use for struts and wheels ? I'm finished with the C310 build and might tackle the YS-11 which to me looks like the Japanese tried to copy the Convair 580. They were copy-cats back then. Watching the build log closely.

Thanks for taking one for the team on this one. I'm sure yours will turn out great !

When I do dive in, I'll dive in by ordering everything needed. Motors, esc's, retracts, etc.

Maybe if I hover over the HK page long enough, the price will come down even more !
Actually the YS-11 is Japan's (Nihon Aircraft Mfg. Co or NAMC) own design. They didn't copy anyone when they designed the YS-11. If you look at the two side by side you will see that it really doesn't resemble the Convair 580 at all other than the fact that they are both twin turboprop airliners.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:08 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,659 Posts
yeah, its their own design, but i think its the only newer style airliner they've ever designed & built. the japanese have been steeling & copying others designs forever. they probably used someones design & just made a few changes & called it their own. thats what i love about the US, we would,nt do stuff like that, and we've been the leaders in innovation since WW2.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:16 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
16,307 Posts
Quote:
yeah, its their own design, but i think its the only newer style airliner they've ever designed & built. the japanese have been steeling & copying others designs forever. they probably used someones design & just made a few changes & called it their own. thats what i love about the US, we would,nt do stuff like that, and we've been the leaders in innovation since WW2.

Yes indeed what's also interetsing was
They considered a YS-12 which would have been a 4 engine longer fuse version of the YS-11 build the Japanese airlines wanted larger jets instead.
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:45 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
3,083 Posts
Quote:
I like your optimism about the US industrial strength - which may have been true between 1940 to early 1970's. But I hate to tell you that in todays world, everybody takes ideas (or copies in your words) from others, whether they are Japanese, Chinese, American or German. I see very similar designs in gas turbines and engine components all the time. The truth is that technically the right solution is sometimes found by more than one party, without any of them really copying each other - simply how it ends up - physics is physics.
captain MoMo is offline Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:09 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
I like your optimism about the US industrial strength - which may have been true between 1940 to early 1970's. But I hate to tell you that in todays world, everybody takes ideas (or copies in your words) from others, whether they are Japanese, Chinese, American or German. I see very similar designs in gas turbines and engine components all the time. The truth is that technically the right solution is sometimes found by more than one party, without any of them really copying each other - simply how it ends up - physics is physics.
Very True Capt-Mo!

And YS-11 Progress Chrisgo?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,659 Posts
havent been doing much work lately. im waiting for the motors to arrive. also, the next step is to cut the front gear doors, and i think im using the motors as an excuse to keep from having to cut the doors. im scared to death about cutting them, and i think im hesitating as much as i can.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:47 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,307 Posts
Quote:
havent been doing much work lately. im waiting for the motors to arrive. also, the next step is to cut the front gear doors, and i think im using the motors as an excuse to keep from having to cut the doors. im scared to death about cutting them, and i think im hesitating as much as i can.
Sounds Good Buddy! . . . .No hesitation . . take your time Sir.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:02 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,802 Posts
Chrisgo,

Good luck on the surgery. Use a sharp scalpel. We're counting on you !

Since you're doing all the heavy lifting here, once you have all your parts together, could you add a final, recommended parts list to the build log?
EG.
Motors: 2X Turnigy 1600kv 2836 ?
ESC's: 2X 40amp
Servoless retracts= HK model #
Struts: HK model #
Props: dia/pitch / #blades/ Counter rotating?
Misc:

If I go ahead with it, I'd like to order everything at the same time , if possible.

Maybe someday, if I win the lottery, I can inspire Demon Driver to build a Vickers Viscount- LOL

Thanks,

Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47