HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:29 PM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
Remember to set your Rudder Travel adjustment before the maiden flight!

I know someone has mentioned it on this thread before, but I thought it's worth mentioning again as this helis is targetted at beginners moving up to CP helis like myself.
I was lucky not to have the servo burn in mid flight. I was practicing piro flips for the first time on this heli today and had applied left rudder most of the time.
When I landed, my friend who was teaching me picked up the heli to illustrate his lesson. His hand touched the tail servo and it was hot. I touced it and it was hotter than the ESC. I'm lucky to have him notice it or I may have risk a servo burn out in mid flight.

Anyway, I got home and set up the Devo7. I had to reduce the rudder travel to about 48% to 50% before it maxed out to its mechanical limits.
You should setup rudder travel on the RX not the TX! I you only limit rudden travel on your devo the FBL still could juse the hole travel in to the mechanical limit!!!
So please setup rudder-travel to 100% at the TX and reduce the travel using the pod on the RX thats the only safe way!
addifromgermany is offline Find More Posts by addifromgermany
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:42 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addifromgermany View Post
You should setup rudder travel on the RX not the TX! I you only limit rudden travel on your devo the FBL still could juse the hole travel in to the mechanical limit!!!
So please setup rudder-travel to 100% at the TX and reduce the travel using the pod on the RX thats the only safe way!
Thanks Addi. I'll try it out.

Edit: I did this and had 4 flights.
The rudder servo is still hot!
How is everyone else's rudder servo?
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Last edited by miketre; Feb 26, 2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:56 PM
Joined Jun 2011
575 Posts
got a really strange response after fixing my 450 from a bad crash......as i pitch up, the tail will turn as in i've put on a rudder input for it to go right.... does anyone know what's causing this?

and before i could find out the problem....the hinge that connects the tail unit broke into half.....luckily i was just hovering 1/2 feet in the air and no other visual damage.....so i'm just waiting for the whole tail unit to arrive at the moment....apparently there's no one selling just the T hinge..... =(
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:15 AM
Joined Feb 2013
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
Thanks Addi. I'll try it out.

Edit: I did this and had 4 flights.
The rudder servo is still hot!
How is everyone else's rudder servo?
Hello Mike, is it possible to tell if the elevated temperature of the rudder servo was noticeable all along, during the time when you carried out rudder travel adjustments at the transmitter, or if the temperature rise started when you made that rudder travel adjustment on the reciever, as recommended by Addi from Germany a couple of posts above.

My newly purchased V450D03 heli hasn't arrived yet, but I'm hoping to learn about as many do's and donts as I can, before the shipment arrives, and I maiden flight the bird.
hover_hound is offline Find More Posts by hover_hound
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:02 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
I think Addi's method is better way, so I had used that for all 4 flights that I had today. I'm sure that the mechanical limit is not reached.

I didn't notice the hot rudder servo previously when I was learning forward and flips and did not use much rudder.
I only started to use the rudder in the last couple of days learning pirouettes and pirouette flips. I do this and nothing else throughout the whole flight, so the rudder is used a lot.
I will need to get a flight in where I don't use the rudder as much and check if the servo is still hot.

Learning piro flips with the Walkera V450D03 heli for CP beginners (3 min 4 sec)
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:03 PM
Joined Feb 2013
174 Posts
Ah I see. Probably the extra rudder use would account for that heating. It'll be a good while before I muster the nerve to try any 3D flying, so I probably won't have heating problems while I'm still an over-cautious noob flying in grandpa mode.
hover_hound is offline Find More Posts by hover_hound
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:26 AM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
651 Posts
In december 2012 I bought a V450D03 at banggood.com because it's price with the Christmas rebate was irresistible.
I just flew it one time, just to see if all is OK with it, because at this time my skills with CP helis were not very good.
Meanwhile, since the beginning of 2013 I had about 80 flights with my 2 Master CPs and I'm beginning to be comfortable with it, but I still consider myself as a beginner.
This morning there was sun and not too much wind, so I decided to give the V450D03 a try and emptied two batteries, without any problem.
It is as stable as the Master PC, with increased visibility, and better wind authority, seeing the bigger size.
I'm far from flying 3D (will I ever be good enough ??), but that's not my goal.
I prefer realistic or "sports" flying with nice turns.

My transmitter settings are about the same as for the Master CP :
Throttle curve :
NORM : 0-20-50-70-70-70-70
ST1 : 70 flat curve
ST2 : 80 flat curve

Pitch curve :
NORM : linear from -15% to + 45% (about -3 to +10)
ST1, ST2, THHLD : same curve than in NORM

I Fly with 60% DR, but no expo at all, because the V450D03 (like the Master CP) is basically very tame and stable around midstick.

Attached a picture of my bird.

Have nice flights and smooth landings

Roland
Rollmops67 is offline Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:07 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2012
331 Posts
Hey guys,
Any ideas on what I can do to stop some pretty violent shaking at a certain rotation speed (spooling up and spooling down) on my D03? I'm sure that this is not a trait specific to this helicopter only, but I'm just seeing if anyone has suggestions.

Thank you!
Rain4LA is offline Find More Posts by Rain4LA
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:24 PM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
3,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain4LA View Post
Hey guys,
Any ideas on what I can do to stop some pretty violent shaking at a certain rotation speed (spooling up and spooling down) on my D03? I'm sure that this is not a trait specific to this helicopter only, but I'm just seeing if anyone has suggestions.

Thank you!
That happens on all helicopters, even real ones .When you spool up or down, the rotor disk resonates with different parts on the heli.

Only way to stop that is the break the laws of physics and have instant acceleration and deceleration.

Now you can minimize it by spooling up slowly, but that's about the best you can do.
Xermalk is offline Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:34 PM
Joined Nov 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
That happens on all helicopters, even real ones .When you spool up or down, the rotor disk resonates with different parts on the heli.

Only way to stop that is the break the laws of physics and have instant acceleration and deceleration.

Now you can minimize it by spooling up slowly, but that's about the best you can do.
Yeah, I get it. I've had this for a little while and it never did it so bad. I've crashed it a couple of times and I've got a couple of parts on the head (you know - like the rotor hub and grips ) that aren't stock. Also the tail boom is slightly bent, but I don't think the belt is touching inside. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:13 PM
devIAtion..one TX to bind them
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Aug 2011
1,103 Posts
I posted a vid awhile ago of starting up with the YEP esc.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=466

It's slower and helps to reduce the shake but doesn't remove it altogether.
Hexperience is offline Find More Posts by Hexperience
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:50 PM
Joined Nov 2012
331 Posts
Thanks Hex. Yeah, I was thinking there was something mechanical that would be a main culprit in this. It's just a lot worse than it used to be. I mean, there is a certain point when spooling down that it just about shakes itself crazy. Like a freakin' seizure. By the way, your video shows very smooth motion.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:15 PM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain4LA View Post
Hey guys,

Thank you!
Mine also shakes a lot, espacially when spooling down (I have only 4 flights on it without any crash). I think the next time I will try to push a little with my hand on the rotor head while spooling down.

Roland
Rollmops67 is offline Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:37 PM
The Netherlands, GE, Weurt
Joined Sep 2012
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmops67 View Post
In december 2012 I bought a V450D03 at banggood.com because it's price with the Christmas rebate was irresistible.
I just flew it one time, just to see if all is OK with it, because at this time my skills with CP helis were not very good.
Meanwhile, since the beginning of 2013 I had about 80 flights with my 2 Master CPs and I'm beginning to be comfortable with it, but I still consider myself as a beginner.
This morning there was sun and not too much wind, so I decided to give the V450D03 a try and emptied two batteries, without any problem.
It is as stable as the Master PC, with increased visibility, and better wind authority, seeing the bigger size.
I'm far from flying 3D (will I ever be good enough ??), but that's not my goal.
I prefer realistic or "sports" flying with nice turns.

My transmitter settings are about the same as for the Master CP :
Throttle curve :
NORM : 0-20-50-70-70-70-70
ST1 : 70 flat curve
ST2 : 80 flat curve

Pitch curve :
NORM : linear from -15% to + 45% (about -3 to +10)
ST1, ST2, THHLD : same curve than in NORM

I Fly with 60% DR, but no expo at all, because the V450D03 (like the Master CP) is basically very tame and stable around midstick.

Attached a picture of my bird.

Have nice flights and smooth landings

Roland
Hoi Rolmops,

What blades are you using there and where did you get the stickers for the skids, or are they just tape ?

Grtz Jeroen
Schiksie is offline Find More Posts by Schiksie
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:17 PM
devIAtion..one TX to bind them
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Aug 2011
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmops67 View Post
Mine also shakes a lot, espacially when spooling down (I have only 4 flights on it without any crash). I think the next time I will try to push a little with my hand on the rotor head while spooling down.

Roland
When spooling down, I always use throttle hold and put the pitch at zero, that helps a lot on the spool down.
Hexperience is offline Find More Posts by Hexperience