SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:37 AM
Joined Jun 2011
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichard View Post
Hi everybody.

I got a V450D03 for christmas, and after also ordering the transmitter, that was missing, I finally wanted to get it flying. The first time I put everything together, I got the motor running for a few seconds. But that was only a shot test run while the kids were asleep. When I wanted to fly it, the motor wouldn't start again. All the servos move as they should, but the motor shows no signs whatsoever.
My first Idea was that I misconfigured something. Thus I resetted the transmitter, and cunfigured everything again. To no avail.
So, I connected a servo to the Port of the receiver where usually the motor controller is. As I moved the thrust stick, the servo moved as well. So it's neither the transmitter nor the receiver, but the error must be in the motor or it's controller.
Problem is, I have no experience with brushless motors, but I guess it's unusual for them to break over night. Is it save to disconnect the motor and see with a scope if the controller feeds any voltage? And what could cause the motor or the controller to fail when it was not used at all?

Rgds
Richard
have u got the Throttle hold switch turned on by accident?
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:56 AM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
have u got the Throttle hold switch turned on by accident?
No, I tested with all possible switch settings.
And also, if something was wrong on the transmitter side, the servo connected to the motor controller output shouldn't have moved.
ulrichard is offline Find More Posts by ulrichard
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:25 AM
Joined Nov 2012
73 Posts
Devo 7 Tx question

Okay,
I recieved my V450D03 today from China which took 18 days to get to Afghanistan. Not to bad considering that it had to the states first then back to here and beging stuck in a diffrent base for 5 days due to being snowed in.

Heres my question. I am use to a 4 chan Tx so i am unfamilure what the diffrent switches are for. I know only one of them. Thats the mix switch which i know is for the diffrent stunt modes. 0 = norm, 1 = stunt 1 and 2 = stunt 2.

if someone could post what the other switches and positions do, I would my very greatful.

Thanks a head of time.
Adrnln Jnke is offline Find More Posts by Adrnln Jnke
Last edited by Adrnln Jnke; Feb 05, 2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:39 PM
devIAtion..one TX to bind them
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Aug 2011
1,103 Posts
Quote:
And also, if something was wrong on the transmitter side, the servo connected to the motor controller output shouldn't have moved.
Do you have any other rc gear? If you have another plane, anything.. you can try to just see if it powers up on that. That might tell you if it's the motor or esc... ? Don't give it much throttle, just let it power up. If it beeps then you know the motor is getting power.

For that matter does the heli beep when you power it up? The beep is actually the motor vibrating.
Hexperience is offline Find More Posts by Hexperience
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:37 AM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexperience View Post
Do you have any other rc gear? If you have another plane, anything.. you can try to just see if it powers up on that. That might tell you if it's the motor or esc... ? Don't give it much throttle, just let it power up. If it beeps then you know the motor is getting power.
Unfortunately all my other RC gear is low end consumer grade with everything integrated. The only thing I tried additionally, was connecting a servo tester to the motor controller. But the behavior was the same. The motor didn't move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexperience View Post
For that matter does the heli beep when you power it up? The beep is actually the motor vibrating.
No, It doesn't beep.

But then I found out something interesting: When I tried to connect a small bulb on the connection between the motor controller and the motor, to see if there is any voltage, one connection accidentally disconnected. With only two connections, the motor started to move. It was not smooth, rather jumpy. But that's what I would expect if only two wires are connected. Subsequently I disconnected either of the other two cables. The behavior was always the same: If only two of the three wires to the motor were connected, no matter which ones, the motor jumped around. As soon as all three were connected, the motor didn't move a bit.
Sounds like I need a replacmenten motor controller. But I'm still curious as to why this one worked for a couple of seconds the first time, and then no more.
ulrichard is offline Find More Posts by ulrichard
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:57 AM
asp
Spain, CN, Villaverde
Joined Apr 2012
335 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately all my other RC gear is low end consumer grade with everything integrated. The only thing I tried additionally, was connecting a servo tester to the motor controller. But the behavior was the same. The motor didn't move.

No, It doesn't beep.

But then I found out something interesting: When I tried to connect a small bulb on the connection between the motor controller and the motor, to see if there is any voltage, one connection accidentally disconnected. With only two connections, the motor started to move. It was not smooth, rather jumpy. But that's what I would expect if only two wires are connected. Subsequently I disconnected either of the other two cables. The behavior was always the same: If only two of the three wires to the motor were connected, no matter which ones, the motor jumped around. As soon as all three were connected, the motor didn't move a bit.
Sounds like I need a replacmenten motor controller. But I'm still curious as to why this one worked for a couple of seconds the first time, and then no more.
Probably just a faulty esc and the first time you connected it to the battery it was enough to unchain the problem.
Try to contact your vendor and ask for a substitution.
asp is offline Find More Posts by asp
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:41 AM
Philippines, Central Luzon, City of San Fernando
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
my walkera V450D03 arrived today. I didn't change the settings on the Devo7 and hovered it a little at a height of about 2ft. my problem was it tends to drift towards the left and when i counter it then release the stick it drifts again to the left. any suggestion on what to do? could it be corrected with the trims or should i make some adjustments on the transmitter or gyro?
voltzmd is offline Find More Posts by voltzmd
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:57 AM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltzmd View Post
my walkera V450D03 arrived today. I didn't change the settings on the Devo7 and hovered it a little at a height of about 2ft. my problem was it tends to drift towards the left and when i counter it then release the stick it drifts again to the left. any suggestion on what to do? could it be corrected with the trims or should i make some adjustments on the transmitter or gyro?
Hello and welcome here.
If you fly at very low altitude (say about less than 1,5 x times the rotor diameter), the thrust of the tail rotor (blowing to the right) will push your heli towards the left, this is a absolutely normal reaction.
When you fly higher, and there is no "cushion" of air remaining between your main rotor and the ground, your heli will slightly lean to the right to compensate that tendancy to drift towards the left.

Roland
Rollmops67 is offline Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:04 AM
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmops67 View Post
Hello and welcome here.
If you fly at very low altitude (say about less than 1,5 x times the rotor diameter), the thrust of the tail rotor (blowing to the right) will push your heli towards the left, this is a absolutely normal reaction.
When you fly higher, and there is no "cushion" of air remaining between your main rotor and the ground, your heli will slightly lean to the right to compensate that tendancy to drift towards the left.

Roland
thanks for the quick reply. ok i'll test it at higher altitude. so i don't have to change anything yet on the transmitter. its an rtf anyway, i hope the factory or my lhs got the settings right.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:20 AM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
650 Posts
Quote:
thanks for the quick reply. ok i'll test it at higher altitude. so i don't have to change anything yet on the transmitter. its an rtf anyway, i hope the factory or my lhs got the settings right.
Even if it's RTF it can be useful to take a look at the swashplate, to control if it's level when no stick is applied.
To do that you have to push the (very) little switch on your Rx from "WK" to "ADJ".
This stops the gyro compensation wich will interfere.

And prior to fly again DON'T FORGET to switch back to "WK", because flying without the gyros will almost end very quickly with a crash !

Roland
Rollmops67 is offline Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:44 AM
Joined Nov 2012
73 Posts
Had my first couple flights yesterday, and out of the box it flew amazing. was really easy to get to a hover and keep it there too. Only adjustment I had to make was to the swashplate. Swashplate wasn't quite level and had to adjust the longitudinal servo. Heli was drifting a little to much fwd.

I am use to my little v200 and man what a difference this thing is. It going to take some time getting use to to this thing.

Any help with the Tx switches?
Adrnln Jnke is offline Find More Posts by Adrnln Jnke
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:11 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
Quote:
Welcome Kabayan, I think you'll gonna love this Heli. As everybody does so far.

Levi
LevTor is offline Find More Posts by LevTor
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:59 AM
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
@Rollmops67 thanks for the advice. i checked the trims and found out they were not centered. centered them and its more stable now. have to learn more about the devo7.

@LevTor thanks for the welcome. your originally from the Philippines? i'm beginning to love it.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:50 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
285 Posts
If it didn't beep, your helicopter RX & transmitter didn't bind properly. What TX did you buy?

depending on the instructions you got, I have seen two different versions of how to bind with a RX 2703H-D one says to turn on the transmitter wait till it is finished doing it init. then within 3 seconds plug in your battery on your helicopter. You will see your RX led blinking red & then after a few seconds it will go solid red, & then the motor beeps. During this time, don't move the helicopter or touch any of the TX controls.

The other version says that the TX puts out its pairing search so fast & then stops trying to pair or bind. So you must power up your helicopter first, you will see the led solid red, then power up your TX & then you will see the led start blinking, then go solid, then the motor beeps.

I don't like doing it that way, I am always in fear it will pick up a stray signal & go crazy. But one time when I got a replacement TX it was the only way it would bind with my helicopter. After the first binding, I didn't need to do it that way anymore.

To be on the safe side, take your main blades off & keep your self away from the tail blades. You will then be able to test this out without it trashing itself, also keep your self away from the main blade grips if they are spinning.

Quote:
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Last edited by iflyhelis; Feb 06, 2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:09 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
Quote:

@LevTor thanks for the welcome. your originally from the Philippines? i'm beginning to love it.
Grew up in Cainta but my wife is from Angeles. We're actually going there for a vacation next month. Maybe we can exchange notes.
LevTor is offline Find More Posts by LevTor