HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:30 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,022 Posts
Cool
New Walkera V450D03

So I was able to get my hands on it and I have to say I like this little heli. I just copied this from my description box

This new Walkera V450D03 is by far one of Walkera's best helicopter I have flown up to date. The D03 was designed more for new pilots who's looking to try a 450 size heli. The 450 size is probably the most common and popular size heli of all time. It's the perfect size to to bring and fly almost anywhere and it's also very affordable to repair when mishaps happen. lol
Don't let the plastic parts fool you. Since the D03 was design for beginners the plastic parts should be more affordable to replace than the fancy carbon and metal parts. The new and improved plastic compound that Walkera uses is something that I have not seen on a Walkera product before. It's very strong yet at the same time very light. Did I mention the one piece frame design. very clever of Walkera to make a one piece frame that is easy to replace when needed. Kudos to the engineers

Something about the way it flies reminds me of my Logo 600 with the V-bar setup. Walkera's new 6-axis FBL gyros feel really good. Very predictable with no bad tendencies in flight. Motor puts out good power and seems very efficient during flight. The stock motor provides very good power for pretty much what ever you throw at it yet it does not hog power from the battery like other expensive high end powerful setups. Servos is a perfect match for the D03. Fast and they do what I tell them to do.

Now if for those who's going to say that this RTF V450D03 is not going to perform crazy 3D as other $1000 heli's your probably right. The V450D03 was design to be stable and I would classify this heli to be perfect for those "BIG AIR" type of flying. But I have to tell that for a RTF heli I was very impressed with how great it flew. It will do some of the faster 3D stuff, but my skills are kinda limited to a point

Now here's a preview of the helicopter and what I think of it

New 2012 Walkera V450D03 Generation II 6-Axis FBL Helicopter Preview (11 min 42 sec)

Here's a flight vid:

Walkera V450D03 Helicopter Flight (4 min 6 sec)
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Last edited by TonyTypeS; Dec 02, 2012 at 02:57 AM. Reason: added flight vid
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:34 AM
asp
Spain, CN, Villaverde
Joined Apr 2012
302 Posts
Very nice and interesting! Thanks Tony, looking forward for some flying videos!
asp is offline Find More Posts by asp
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:40 AM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
640 Posts
Thank you for this review, I'm also very interested in this model once I become better with CP helis.
I have a master CP on order wich is the same kind of "rugged" heli, maybe the next will be the V450D03.

Just some questions : I'm wondering you say the servos have metal gears, are you sure ?
I know it's the case on the V450D01, but thought the V450D03 had plastic gear servos. What is the model of the servos ?

And regarding the main gear (the blue one), do you think the teeth are robust or will they strip at the first crash as on other Walkera helicopters wich have very fine teeth (like the V200D03)

And a dumb newbie question : seeing that there is a second gear under the main gear, I think the heli is able of auto rotation ?

Regards, Roland
Rollmops67 is online now Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:53 PM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,759 Posts
Found this flight video on youtube.
Looks like it has some seriously good performance.

Walkera V450D03 RC Helicopter (3 min 25 sec)
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Last edited by Xermalk; Oct 28, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:47 PM
British Columbia, Canada
Joined Jul 2009
280 Posts
Does anyone know if Walkera will be releasing a version of this heli that can be used with a 2801 pro radio.
scoby1 is offline Find More Posts by scoby1
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:03 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
Found this flight video on youtube.
Looks like it has some seriously good performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB2M1ECZll0
Flying in a public park with people around is plain irresponsible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoby1 View Post
Does anyone know if Walkera will be releasing a version of this heli that can be used with a 2801 pro radio.
Walkera have stopped releasing products for 2801 pro radios many months ago. Although a product called the RC Magic Cube is available to make your 2801 pro compatible with Devo, I would strongly advise against using it in helis larger than 120.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:15 AM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asp View Post
Very nice and interesting! Thanks Tony, looking forward for some flying videos!
Your welcome. I should have time tomorrow and hopefully I can get a video in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmops67 View Post
Thank you for this review, I'm also very interested in this model once I become better with CP helis.
I have a master CP on order wich is the same kind of "rugged" heli, maybe the next will be the V450D03.

Just some questions : I'm wondering you say the servos have metal gears, are you sure ?
I know it's the case on the V450D01, but thought the V450D03 had plastic gear servos. What is the model of the servos ?

And regarding the main gear (the blue one), do you think the teeth are robust or will they strip at the first crash as on other Walkera helicopters wich have very fine teeth (like the V200D03)

And a dumb newbie question : seeing that there is a second gear under the main gear, I think the heli is able of auto rotation ?

Regards, Roland
Roland, I think the V450D03 would be great for you after you get used to flying the Master CP. I'm not sure rugged it will be since I don't plan on crashing it anytime soon hehe but I know for sure the tail setup on the D03 is going to be much better than the Master CP. The main gear is the standard 450 size. As long as you hit throttle hold the gear should not strip. Even my larger heli's will strip main gears it the throttle is still on when crashed.

My sample came with metal gear servos. I can't remember exactly the model number for them, but I'll let you know when I see it again. However things may change with the actual production so remember to check the vendors site to see what they are.

Yes the second bottom gear you see is the tail gear. When the motor is off it allows the tail to turn with th main gear. And the main gear hub has a one way bearing to allow the blades to spin freely when motor is off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoby1 View Post
I don't think so. Looks like Walkera is trying to convert over to the Devo's now. I don't think their Magic Cube will work since the V450D03 is a 6ch. The Magic Cube is only for 4ch stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I agree. Public parks will always have a lot of people and with RC anything can fail. Would not to good to lose control and fly into someone
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:31 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTypeS View Post
Y
I agree. Public parks will always have a lot of people and with RC anything can fail. Would not to good to lose control and fly into someone
This is likely shot somewhere near walkera hq for promo purposes. But i agree they should know better.

The only thing id even remotely consider flying with people nearby would be the small 80-100 size helicopters. and even then i triple check so no one is to close/warn them if they get to close.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:26 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,166 Posts
I just spoke to the person who flew the heli in this video. He said that it flew OK but the motor was rather hot and not very strong. He did not feel any abnormal corrections from the 6 axis gyro. You can see some F3C type of flying in the video. The place was a public park as well but has few visitors during weekdays because it is very remote.

HeliPal.com - Walkera V450D03 Helicopter Outdoor 3D Test Flight (12 min 3 sec)

This is probably very unfair. There is the same person flying F3C aerobatics with a Logo 400SE and you definitely see a huge power difference. Although the Logo 400 is a 500 sized heli.

Logo 400SE Helicopter - F3C flight @ Hong Kong TKO (3 min 21 sec)
Last edited by zadaw; Nov 01, 2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Dec 2011
7 Posts
Tony I am very interested in this heli. Do you know when your company will start selling these?

I checked and couple places in China has them in stock, oomodel and hobbywow for example but I would prefer to purchase it from you guys.
Dan37tz is offline Find More Posts by Dan37tz
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:38 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,759 Posts
Has anyone seen spare parts listed for this bird?
Specifically the rx/all in one unit?
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:35 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
Has anyone seen spare parts listed for this bird?
Specifically the rx/all in one unit?
Judging by Walkera's record, individual receivers will not be available for at least a month. I doubt that it will be available for less than $100. At the price, you can consider using rx701 receiver with a cheap third party FBL system.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:06 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,937 Posts
I still don't know why they went with a plastic airframe that is HEAVIER then the V450D01's airframe. OH! I know why. Because the plastic will actually break, where as 30+ crashes I've had on my v450D01 and the only thing on the frame I've ever replaced besides bearings is the plastic bottom plate that the skids attach to and the skids them self. Most of my crashes were due to electronics failures. Mostly the ESC catching fire and the servos doing the same, while flying. This airframe is garbage. Trust me, you will have no choice but to keep replacing the old stock equipment OVER and OVER and OVER again, possibly the whole airframe with them, while it keeps causing you crashes. Otherwise you can upgrade the equipment, ESPECIALLY the servos and it might be okay for a heavy bird. The old V450 motor used to have a buttery soft shaft and would sheer right off. It ran like a furnace too. Sounds like this new one will be no different. But it looks different so maybe someone else made it and the shaft won't break mid flight at the end of it's randomly short service life. But the stock V450 motor actually was pretty powerful. In my particular situation i went though 4 different 2702V RX units. Out of those 4, two of them would randomly, but constantly just lock out. It was like a total shut off. No cyclic and the motor does not shut off, it just slowly spins down. So, those are bad odds in my opinion. 2 out of 2 units were defective/damaged. But, the good new is i have found super cheap upgrades for this heli that work and last, except for the servos. I'm sure my V450D01 upgrades will be just as compatible with this heli if you end up "stuck" with it. Should anyone buy one and want to upgrade. You can view my V450D01 build log which goes over the physical install of the Savox servos, ESC, and motor. Honestly though, i don't get the plastic frame thing, since it weighs more. I would just go for the more durable D01. But if anyone is listening to me, and often they don't till it's too late. There are plenty of other heli out there this size that don't have these issues. I honestly think the V450d01 is one of the better 450 size airframes available after upgrading the electronics (because they ARE NOT safe, or good for that matter). So, just to be clear. I am not bashing Walkera or this heli. I am stating facts based on my own and multiple other accounts. I would very much have liked to have had a better experience with Walkera, but i did not. For all the money i spent in repairs because i was already invested and being stubborn, i could have gotten an Align, Tarot, CopterX or any other brand. I now fly the HELL out of my upgraded V450 and love it. Like i said, after looking into other 450 airframes, i didn't find any that were any more superior to the V450D01. Many were similar but this frame is actually special in it's structural design. Even the Align 450 uses only 1.2mm CF panels on the frame and plastic, not aluminum parts to mount the servos.

Check it out on the web site. Here is the difference.

New V450D01:
1).Main Rotor Dia. : 731mm
2).Tail Rotor Dia. : 150mm
3).Overall Length: 670mm
4).Weight:768g(Battery included)
5).Transmitter: DEVO 10(standard);DEVO-6/7/8S/12S(Optional)
6).Receiver: RX-2703H-D
7).Battery: 11.1V 2200mAh Li-Po

V450D03:
1). Main Rotor Dia. : 712mm
2). Tail Rotor Dia. : 150mm
3). Overall Length: 676mm
4). Weight:816g(Battery included)
5). Transmitter: DEVO 7(standard);DEVO-6/7E/8S/10/12S(Optional)
6). Receiver: RX-2703H-D
7). Battery: 11.1V 2600mAh Li-Po

So, they are nearly the same except for the D03 comes with the Devo 7 instead of the Devo 10?? Thats a good deal right? Oh yeah, don't for get the D03 model weighs 48 grams MORE than the V450D01 with the strong 3mm thick CF frame. This heli is not worth it's trouble. Take my advise and your likely not to regret it. But, i wouldn't fly this helicopter with stock electronics if you gave it to me for free. It's too dangerous and costly.

I am sincerely just trying to help people here. I don't want Walkera to die or anything like that. I just want them to produce a heli that comes in this size, that is not a health risk. Thats all.

Now, so there is a comparison to those videos linked above of the D03. I'm no pro pilot, but I've gotten pretty good. I don't know if i have skills for F3C yet or anything. But I do okay. My main heli right now is actually my custom upgraded V450D01. Below is my most recent flight video, in which i am attempting/practicing my first real Tick-tocks in a LONG time. Because my confidence was robbed by the stock equipment on my V450D01 and defective RX. I'm only now just starting to be able to trust it again and really throw it around like i do in a simulator. But first, before the video, here is a run down of the equipment on board.

"Old" V450D01 airframe
CopterX 3550kv motor ($20)
Hobbywing Platinum Pro 40A ESC ($48)
Savox 0257MG Cyclic Servos ($98)
Savox 1357 Tail Servo ($49)
Turnigy 2200 mAh, 20-30C battery. ($12)

Alternatively, i have tested and and confirmed that the Hobbywing Skywalker 40A ESC for $12 works perfectly with this configuration also. Over all, besides the servos. These "Upgrades" are cheap and will have you flying well. If your learning and crashing a lot still. You throw on some $7 Pro 3D Fiberglass blades and crash, it's not hardly going to cost you anything. Especially with Align main gears as a replacement instead of the expensive Walkera main gears. So now here is the video. Go easy on my, these are my first real tick-tocks. I call them sloppy-tocks.

V450D01 - Tick-Tocks - 11-04-12 (5 min 25 sec)
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Nov 05, 2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:06 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,937 Posts
... Sorry double posted some how.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:38 PM
United States, GA, Tybee Island
Joined Jun 2012
23 Posts
For the life of me I cant see how someone can bash a heli they have never flown