HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, NJ, Upper Pittsgrove
Joined Mar 2011
122 Posts
Discussion
ECOMRC Stinson

Getting ready to maiden my Ecomrc Stinson 108 with PTE 36 any one have one or flew it , what can I expect ( climb rate, stability handling , landing tendancies, how effective are the flaps), I would love to hear befre i put this beauty up in the air
scaleman57 is offline Find More Posts by scaleman57
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:20 PM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,895 Posts
Pictures, please!

Mine is still waiting in the box for its turn on the building board. . Can't wait to see yours!
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Mar 2011
122 Posts
HI Gliderguy was going to maiden my Stinson this weekend but a hurricane is going to hit, little to windy to maiden a new bird dont you think?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:10 PM
Where's the lift?
Joined Mar 2001
2,895 Posts
Ha! Best keep the Stinson safely indoors for the time being, lest I find it lying upside down in my backyard!

Good luck with your maiden.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:07 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,312 Posts
I had one, crashed it recently on a bad takeoff. It can be a bit squirrely on takeoff, it is a real taildragger, and I think I pulled it off too soon then it was rolling left and right and pitching and bucking. I nearly crashed it when doing a slow flyby, I powered it up and had the same wild gyrations, not sure how much of it was pilot induced but there was some tense moments. Go easy on the power at slow speeds.

I used the control deflections of a full scale 108 not the ones in the manual.

This handling surprised me both times because the plane can fly slowly, it can float down the runway and it was easy to bounce it with the very stiff landing gear.

The flaps work, I didn't need any elevator mixing but I put down the flaps at about 1/4 throttle after slowing down some. If you add power with the flaps down it will point the nose straight up.

I was using HS 645MG servos and after a number of flights I started having issues with the aileron servos moving on their own at engine idle. I replaced them with some digital Hitec servos and it solved the problem, but then my choke servo did the same thing so I replaced it with a digital as well, fixed it. Then I crashed it. Gave it to a friend who has the time to try to piece it back together.

The engine vibrated screws loose. Had to locktite the cowl screws a couple of times, windshield screws would fall out. BTW the windshield is crap, cracks easily at the screw holes, recommend gluing on a cloth backing for strength. On the first run up with the wings on one of the servo mounts came unglued, I reinforced them both after that.

I thought of this plane as my "problem child".

It is a nice looking plane and flies nice, did I mention to be careful of large power changes at slow speeds?

I am now working on the ECOMRC Tiger Moth.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Mar 2011
122 Posts
Hey Bob thanks for the input, what were you using for power? You r report has me a little nervous sounds like it tip stalls easy so I better stay on the power and have a long takeoff runThanks Glenn
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:32 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,312 Posts
I was using the PTE 36. I never noticed any bad stall tendencies. My first brush with disaster was a slow flyby "aborted landing approach". It was flying over the runway nice and slow and under control, when I gave it the gas to go around it became a real handful so it seemed more like the application of a lot of power was the start of my problem.

Now when I crashed it it was fishtailing down the runway on a takeoff roll, my 3rd of the day, and I probably pulled it off before it was ready to fly and was on the edge of a stall.

IIRC with the engine idling around 2500 RPM you can maintain level flight with the flaps up. If you try that with the flaps down you will stall it. At that RPM you would need to pretty much fly it down to the runway, I know I had trouble getting it to come down at first. After the engine broke in some more I got the idle lower.

I always tried for more scale like takeoffs, easy on the power and lift it easy but often it would climb skyward as is often the case with overpowered RC planes.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Mar 2011
122 Posts
Im thinking I should have put a DLE 30 in itbut it is what it is. To windy this weekend to fly so ill wait and report when maiden has occured. Thanks again Bob.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:39 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,312 Posts
You can set the throttle servo end point to give you less than max power. That is done in some full scale planes, they over power the engine and then limit the max power. It makes the engine last longer and allows the plane to fly higher because the extra horse power can be used at the higher altitudes where engine performance decreases.

I just put a 25cc engine in a 76 inch Lazy Ace biplane. The max RPM for that engine is listed at 11,000 but I have it set for a max of 8,000 RPM, it still has enough power to just hover.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Mar 2011
122 Posts
Hi Bob and Gliderguy flew my Stinson today calm winds perfect day for a maiden. The PTE36 ran perfect very throttle sensitive, from idle to full bore is about 1/4 throttle I have to change that. Airplane handles beautifully take off Is smoth and predictable climb out is stable.Needed very little trim change from the start.PTE is too much power DLE30 would be better.This is one of the most stable airplanes I have flown very easy to fly. Landing is predictable I came in without flaps she bleeds off speeed and settles on her own.I reallt like this bird I may have to save up and get the Cessna 195from ECOMRC , Let me know how you do Gliderguy you will love this airplane.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:21 PM
Where's the lift?
Joined Mar 2001
2,895 Posts
Scaleman,

My Black Horse Pitts is next up on the bench. Will be starting the Stinson after that. Glad to hear your maiden went well. Very encouraging!

Can you put up some pictures?
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:32 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,312 Posts
Very good, glad to hear it went well. I found mine to be a bit tough to keep straight on the takeoff roll which I think is what lead to it's early demise Otherwise it flew nice. IIRC I had the flaps set for a max. of 40 degrees which is scale.

Yes the PTE is too much power, I set mine up so it didn't even open the throttle plate to full. You can set up the linkage to make it more linear and if your TX supports a throttle curve that helps too. I found the PTE to be easy to hand flip. I am currently breaking in a DLE 35RA and find it to be tougher to hand flip, I sometimes use a starter on it but never did on the PTE.

.Did you get a video?
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Mar 2011
122 Posts
Wanted to get video but my nephe forgot his camera,I may fly this weekend if so Ill have a video. I should have pictures soon I hope. Hey Bob I have the 7 channel Futaba radio 2.4 I dont know if it has throttle curve Ill have to read instuctions.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:36 PM
Slovakia, Košice Region, Gelnica
Joined Jan 2013
18 Posts
Stinson 108

Dear All,
i bought just same Stinson 108 Voyager from ECOMRC. Very nice plane,i love it. I statred with assembly,my idea is input DLE 30 engine. What do you think? Will be enough powerfull? Could i ask you for some photos how you installed electronic from inside of the plane? Thanks,i looking forward for anyone answer.
housing is offline Find More Posts by housing
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:07 PM
Joined Mar 2011
122 Posts
Just took PTE36 out of my Stinson going with DLE30 I put electronics on side of motor mount, plenty of room for the ignition box. Good luck with build its very easy , keep us posted.