SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
363 Posts
Discussion
Wild Hawk - Right out of the box..... or not?

Hi.
Question concerning the Wild Hawk: is it better when I finally get around to first flying the airplane to just go with the original material, or should I make the basic modifications like putting extra material (so bigger) on the rudder and maybe the elevator right off? Note that I am concerned about getting as small a turning circle as I can since my local park does not have a lot of space.
Thx
Bob6831 is offline Find More Posts by Bob6831
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:11 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob6831 View Post
Hi.
Question concerning the Wild Hawk: is it better when I finally get around to first flying the airplane to just go with the original material, or should I make the basic modifications like putting extra material (so bigger) on the rudder and maybe the elevator right off? Note that I am concerned about getting as small a turning circle as I can since my local park does not have a lot of space.
Thx
I would give it a try as is. The only immediate change I would make is to glue the tail feathers on rather than rely on the double stick tape. It won't turn as sharp as an aileron model but should be fine.

Rather than buying spare nicads($$) you can use 2S lipos and add a little weight to compensate. CG should be on the spare.

Launch it a little less than full power and maybe 10 degrees up, give it a good throw.

I love my Hawk for what it is.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, PA, Belle Vernon
Joined Feb 2012
13 Posts
I have two Wild Hawks and they fly great indeed !!!! STOCK NO MODS
Yeppppp , you want to ad weight to the front ( 1/2 to one oz ... your preference...I used one oz) to balance it out to the center of the spare rod. Yes add more rudder....made mine out of a stryofoam plate doubled together : works great. No , I did not add nuttin to the horiz stab. BUT make sure when you mount the horiz stab that it is level.....get a yard stick and from the flat of where the front wings slide in .....eye it up true as you can to get the horiz stab as level and in line as the front wing.....you might have to sand or file a lil bit off the fuse in the back. After all is aligned true , use CAsafe glue to hold all together ( rudder/ horiz stab ). The double sided tape will let you down ( no pun intended).....the tape is only good for about 6 flights if that.
Now where the spar tube runs into the wings......run clear packing tape , the 2 inch wide stuff ,all along that inserted square where the spar tube goes ( under side the bottom of wing ).....that will give you the needed strength there.....run it the full length and past a few inches of that insert. You should also add packing tape along the leading edge of both wings. Packing tape should be used to "beef up" the fuselage near the front of the plane cuz when you crash it it will buckle if not break back to the battery compartment !!!!!! When this happens.....packing tape and white gorilla glue to the rescue !!!!!!
LAUNCH LEVEL AT FULL THROTTLE .....let it climb......EASYYYYYY ON THE CONTROLS for up / down / rudder. Way too easy to over control . Adjust for level flight at 1/2 throttle.... to land , cut throttle....ease a lil up to flair if needed and land on belly....ENJOY.
BOB
N3OO is offline Find More Posts by N3OO
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Sep 2012
363 Posts
First, let me ask a few newbeeeee questions: 1) What are the tail feathers you are talking about? My Wild Hawk kit does not contain anything to stick/glue on.
2) "Rather than buying spare nicads($$) you can use 2S lipos and add a little weight to compensate. CG should be on the spare." - I have no idea what you are talking about here... and what question of mine it pertains to. 3) Looks like different opinion from you guys.... arguments for adding more rudder or not please. 4) By the " horizontal stabilizer", are you talking about the elevator?
5) What are you talking about with the double-sided tape...... where is that going and why?
Maybe I will need to start putting the plane together to understand what you mean as far as gluing the rudder and elevator/stabilizer together.
Thx.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:06 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,547 Posts
Quote:
1) What are the tail feathers you are talking about? My Wild Hawk kit does not contain anything to stick/glue on.
"Tail feathers" is a slang term for the horizontal and vertical stabilizers at the back of the plane. If they're already installed, great. Less work for you

Quote:
2) "Rather than buying spare nicads($$) you can use 2S lipos and add a little weight to compensate. CG should be on the spare." - I have no idea what you are talking about here... and what question of mine it pertains to
This is just general advice not specifically related to your post. It's referring to using non-stock batteries (lithium-polymer chemistry as opposed to the stock nickel ones) to save some money on backups. "CG should be on the spar" means that the plane should balance in a ready-to-fly condition at the wing spar (not "spare" as was written).

Quote:
3) Looks like different opinion from you guys.... arguments for adding more rudder or not please.
It depends. Adding more rudder area will help reduce turning radius, but the extra maneuverability could get you into trouble and lead to crashes. I'd say it's best to leave it alone, especially since you've never flown before. If you DO end up crashing, you won't know whether it was due to the modified rudder or just due to your own inexperience. If you feel that you need to modify the plane in order to be able to fly it in the area you have, that area is far too small.

Quote:
4) By the " horizontal stabilizer", are you talking about the elevator?
The horizontal stabilizer is the entire horizontal tail piece. It's sometimes incorrectly called a "tail wing". The elevator is just the moving part of the horizontal stabilizer. Some people also call the entire horizontal stabilizer the "elevator", which is also incorrect.

Quote:
5) What are you talking about with the double-sided tape...... where is that going and why? Maybe I will need to start putting the plane together to understand what you mean as far as gluing the rudder and elevator/stabilizer together.
Double-sided tape is commonly used to install things like stabilizers on many ARF and RTF planes. I'm sure if you begin assembling the plane, things will start to clear up for you.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:37 AM
United States, PA, Belle Vernon
Joined Feb 2012
13 Posts
OOOOOppppssss....I typed in " spare " instead of " spar ".....darn E snuck in there , sorry for the confusion.
Hold on a sec.....the Wild Hawk is a poor choice for a first plane or first flight.....it will surely be in pieces in a few seconds , ready for the trash can.
Can you return it ? If not , put it aside and get a GOOD starter plane. Get a Vapor...Ember...Champ...Stratos to get started in this hobby. I'm sure everyone will agree.
N3OO is offline Find More Posts by N3OO
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3OO View Post
OOOOOppppssss....I typed in " spare " instead of " spar ".....darn E snuck in there , sorry for the confusion.
Hold on a sec.....the Wild Hawk is a poor choice for a first plane or first flight.....it will surely be in pieces in a few seconds , ready for the trash can.
Can you return it ? If not , put it aside and get a GOOD starter plane. Get a Vapor...Ember...Champ...Stratos to get started in this hobby. I'm sure everyone will agree.
Nope...
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Sep 2012
363 Posts
Thx C4 for clearing up a few things.
Is Hot Glue ok to use for general set-up and/or repairs, or am I better off with a special glue? What is CAsafe glue?
Looks like different opinions on whether Wild Hawk is a good starter plane.
Also, I saw on 1 video showing assembly, using plastic hinges to connect the rudder and elevator. Is this a good idea?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
My hinges are fine after 1.5 years.
I know you want the plane good right from the start don't over think it. It will be fine out of the box, mod it after you get a feel for it and know what you want it to do.

I think it is a fine first plane. I learned on an EZ Star and it's very similar and I think the Hawk flys and responds better.
Those little planes are fine for indoors or no wind at all.