HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:33 AM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Discussion
Parallel charging/storing 1S on PL6

I got a new FMA PL6 and a Hyperion parallel charge board for the 1s batteries I use on my UM planes.

The first thing I need to do is to storage charge them. Every time I run through the storage screen, it says "Check connection". What am I doing wrong here?

Next, I need to parallel charge them. Any instructions on this? If I select parallel charge, it assumes I have balance connectors to use, which I don't. If I select the 1s (no balance connector) screen, then I'm not sure it's putting enough power through to parallel charge them properly...

Somebody has to have already done this, right?
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:47 PM
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
Indeed it has been done. In fact, I asked the same question myself about 2 months ago (See below). You need to attach a Cellpro (JST PA) battery pigtail 10" 9 position balance connector (See Link) to the leads on your Hyperion balance board. I just cut off all of the white wires to about 2" long and shrinkwraped the stubs. then I cut off about half of the red and black wires. Then I cut the balance board wires about midway between the banana plugs and the balance board. Then simply solder the red wires together, and the black wires together using shrinkwrap and you're finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface26
I know how to get my PL6 to charge up to 6 1S UM batteries in parallel at a time, but I want to be able to cycle them, and discharge them to 3.3V and to storage charge them to 3.85V. Can I do this? Also, if I am charging different capacity batteries in parallel (70mAh & 130mAh & 160mAH), do I need to do adjust the charging rate to the lowest mAh capacity being charged?

Hi:

If you wire yourself up an adapter to connect the balance connector's red/blk wires in parallel with red/blk wires to go to the banana jacks, then you don't have any limitations any more. You can use all of the balancing presets including the storage charge presets, and you can send as much current to the cells as you like (unlike using the unbalanced preset to charge). When you connect different capacity cells in parallel, yet, it's best to base the charge/discharge rate on the smallest capacity cell.

Tim Marks

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...-10-9-Position
Scarface26 is offline Find More Posts by Scarface26
Last edited by Scarface26; Oct 26, 2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:53 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
I got a new FMA PL6 and a Hyperion parallel charge board for the 1s batteries I use on my UM planes.

The first thing I need to do is to storage charge them. Every time I run through the storage screen, it says "Check connection". What am I doing wrong here?

Next, I need to parallel charge them. Any instructions on this? If I select parallel charge, it assumes I have balance connectors to use, which I don't. If I select the 1s (no balance connector) screen, then I'm not sure it's putting enough power through to parallel charge them properly...

Somebody has to have already done this, right?
Easiest way to parallel charge using your Hyperion Parallel Charge board is to use the unbalanced preset, #6 (I think).

To storage charge them use the setup described above.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:26 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
What if I just discharged them. Would I then have an option somewhere to set the end voltage to 3.85 to store them with the #6 preset?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:29 PM
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
Use the "Storage Charge" preset (#7, I think) When it asks you if you are parallel charging, select "no". Treat it as if were charging one battery, and set the charge current manually. I usually use 2C. (Ex: 6 160 mAh batteries at 2C would be 160 Divided by 1000 = .16 Ah times 6 batteries = .96 Amp * 2C = 1.92 Amps.) Just use 2 Amps. Once started, the PL6 will then either charge or discharge as needed,to approximately 3.86 Volts.
Scarface26 is offline Find More Posts by Scarface26
Last edited by Scarface26; Oct 26, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:45 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
I just tried it. No workie. I get "bad cell count" message.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:18 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
What if I just discharged them. Would I then have an option somewhere to set the end voltage to 3.85 to store them with the #6 preset?
Yes, you can use preset 6 and set the charge voltage to 3.85.
If you do this often copy the modified preset and save it in an unused position.

Glen
Last edited by ggcrandall1; Oct 27, 2012 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Corrected preset number.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:19 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface26 View Post
Use the "Storage Charge" preset (#7, I think) When it asks you if you are parallel charging, select "no". Treat it as if were charging one battery, and set the charge current manually. I usually use 2C. (Ex: 6 160 mAh batteries at 2C would be 160 Divided by 1000 = .16 Ah times 6 batteries = .96 Amp * 2C = 1.92 Amps.) Just use 2 Amps. Once started, the PL6 will then either charge or discharge as needed,to approximately 3.86 Volts.
This works on the PL8 but not on the PL6.

Glen