HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:48 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Sep 2012
309 Posts
Discussion
Bought a UMX Sbach 342

So I was at Noonday Park last Sunday evening doing yet another cartwheel with my damnable A6M5 Zero, and met a guy who was out flying his older eflite sbach micro. I was so impressed with how well the plane handled for a micro that I went out and bought the new one with AS3X, got a couple of the recommended 180mah 2S lipos, bound it to my transmitter, set conservatively low rates and expo on both positions, and hope to give it a maiden flight tomorrow.

I'm pretty proficient on my little T-28 Micro and hope to get it in the air, trimmed, fly a few circles, and land it without crashing. If anyone has any pointers for this type of plane, or can think of any common mistakes, please share!

On a related topic, if you wanted to learn simple aerobatics (aside from simple loops and aileron rolls) and whatever might pass for "beginner" 3D moves, which techniques would you suggest starting with, and which ones would you move into next with this type of plane? I know it's a subjective question, but i would enjoy seeing the range of responses almost as much as your individual opinions.

Thanks guys,
Justin
justinlee1 is offline Find More Posts by justinlee1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:54 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,317 Posts
what problem are you having with the zero? we will have to give it a go when this wind dies down.

only suggestion on the sbach compared to the other um planes...keep the speed up until you get used to the plane, after that i suggest learning on what the plane does when you put it into a stall, that will give you the opportunity to eventually enter harrier flight. That being said USE THE RUDDER...get used to it, learning rudder control and becoming proficient at it will make you a much better pilot in the long run.
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:20 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,114 Posts
Keep up the power and speed or be ready for a stall. That my 2cents.
electrich is online now Find More Posts by electrich
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:17 AM
USA, GA, Lilburn
Joined Jul 2007
345 Posts
Sorry you are having trouble with the Zero.

If you can ever make it down to Stone Mountain I can probably help you with it. A few clicks of throttle (three or four) on landing always did the trick for me. Don't flare too early or you get the stall.
madpatter is offline Find More Posts by madpatter
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:17 AM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Sep 2012
309 Posts
Hey Pat, I'm pretty sure the problem I'm having with the Zero is on my end, though I had an experienced pilot cartwheel it also. The problem is that the plane seems to bank steeply to the left at takeoff and lands on the left wingtip and prop. Perhaps I'm not getting enough speed to allow the control surfaces to do their job. I've checked the balance and confirmed that the controls are oriented correctly. I appreciate the tips on landing, but haven't managed to get it three feet off the ground yet. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
justinlee1 is offline Find More Posts by justinlee1
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:53 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,317 Posts
Its all about speed, I have flown another guys Dynam Texan and what your talking about has happened to a couple of the guys who have flown it. You need to get speed, let the tail come up, fly the tail for about 20feet then pull back and climb. When the tail comes up you dont have enough air on the wings and your tip stalling.

Same thing when you land you just need some more speed and fly it to the ground instead of trying to glide it down.
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102