HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:22 AM
Joined Aug 2009
104 Posts
sorry......

Sorry,.......one too many dots. www.photobucket.com/modelyachtworld. W,225 pics(and growing). DD
Derusha is offline Find More Posts by Derusha
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
Type the link in manually. It worked great ! great pics.

I'm especially interested in the miniature harken gear. Does it function ?

So, I'll create a set of downloadable drawings and put up a TP52" site if I can get a show of hands on those that are interested in building or having one built ?

I think there are only a couple things to sort out. One, we'd have to agree on 52" length, or some other... two, we'd need to agree on overall weight. The rest is essentially a box rule, however I would suggest the boats need to resemble full scale TP52's. must be drawn from actual plans, or those provided by the class that have been scaled down.

Any other ideas ?
iBoat is offline Find More Posts by iBoat
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:03 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,152 Posts
Chris - 52 inches is too close to the Marblehead size (50/800) so maybe a more aggressive size would help - but possible loss of interested parties at that size might be fall-out. May want to talk to Larry Ludwig about sourcing masts as he does handle some up to the J Class size. Harken stuff - question is whether Dean is still able to sell product in quantity.

Just some thought as I was looking at the thread.

Dick
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Aug 2009
104 Posts
Harken ready

This November will be dedicated for sailing and testing. Our travelar system works well on a Tee-pod. Larry has a large inventory now
DD
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
I could vacuum bag masts. Didn't want to if I didn't have to... ;-)

Could always go 1/10, that bumps it up a bit. This really shouldn't be another class of boat, as much as it will be the next big thing of rc sailing. Main stream use of multi function controls. Jib sheeting, spin, and controls. While this stuff is out there, it's not mainstream...
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
Dimensions

So,
prelim dimensions for a 1/10 scale boat look to be:

LOA 62"
Beam 17.4"
Disp 16.5lbs
Freeboard 5.7 at the bow
Freeboard 4.5 at the stern

There is sufficent room in a 62" hull to get spinnaker gear. With the increased beam and light weight, the boats should perform well. Calculating a good righting moment this weekend. The scaled keel length looks to be the only real concern. scale would be 13". Everything else looks really doable with the drawings I have.

Will post some pics in the coming days of the drawings.
-Chris
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:15 AM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
879 Posts
ever see these ? (yes, the website is old, but......)check out the gallery pics.

http://www.rcprosail.com/englInfo.html
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:19 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoat View Post
This really shouldn't be another class of boat, as much as it will be the next big thing of rc sailing.
Not sure I'm following this.
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
class

OK, it will be another class, however, it needs to bring a little more to the table... scale traveller systems, independant sheeting, spinnaker. functional scale appearance.

and... fast
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:26 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
566 Posts
is the tp52 a tight ruled clasd or just a box rule?
D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Aug 2009
104 Posts
My contribution

I will build another TP 52 to race with. This size will provide a platform for all the tech. stuff available. Perhaps attracting sailors to this world of sailing......and yet they would have most all the tweeks like the big boats. If my Harken gear does all that I planned for then lets see.

DD
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
TP52 Rule

The TP52 rule is a box rule. It has min and max tolerances. I think for the class to be unique, and offer something different to what's out there, it needs to be different though, and for an RC TP52 class, is that the boats should be based off of real world TP52 boats.

I guess a sort of disapointment I have with something like the J Class, is that too many of the boats don't have the detail and quality that made a J the most prestigious boat of it's day.

There's a prectical side to it as well. I think adding lifelines and all the purchases might not be the best route, but, what about cockpit, coachroof on the ones that have them, faux bow hatches, etc...

a tiny bit of extra detail makes a huge difference to what's out there...
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:25 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
566 Posts
if you dont make the boat one design, they will look very different to real tp52s as the beam will be much narrower on a rc due to very small plaining time.
D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
Well, you make them to scale of a real TP52. so proportionally, they will look identical.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
Rc TP52 renderings