SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:06 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
Aha! I've got a FlySky CT6B, so would it bind with a v929? If so, what's the magic incantation?
I thought same as the Turnigy.

Personally, I would put the TX into bind mode.

Then plug the battery into the v929.

The v929 will IMMEDIATELY go into a slow blink.

Remove v929 battery.

Turn off TX.

Turn on TX.

Plug battery into v929.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
2,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
I thought same as the Turnigy.
Personally, I would put the TX into bind mode.
Then plug the battery into the v929.

The v929 will IMMEDIATELY go into a slow blink.
Remove v929 battery.
Turn off TX.
Turn on TX.
Plug battery into v929.
Yep. Worked fine. Did a quick zip around the dining room, as it's late, but tomorrow I'll see if I can play around with dual rates and setup a 99% no flip mode and see how it goes. Got 6 channels with two dials and two switches that can be mapped to them, so maybe one of the others can be made to do something useful.
Be interesting to compare it to flying my MQX with a Spektrum DX4e.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Last edited by Brandigan; Oct 31, 2012 at 06:03 AM. Reason: spelinge errur
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:38 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,365 Posts
Consecutive flips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
You previously wrote that you need to hold the top right button and apply full stick to flip with the v939 Tx. That's not very accidental.
I applied italics on the word "consecutive" in the phrase "accidental consecutive flips". I guess it wasn't clear so I'll explain. Here's the scenario:

1. Fly to a suitable height, stabilize, get ready for flip.
2. Hold down flip button, do not release.
3. Apply full forward elevator for a single flip.
4. Quad flipped three (3) times consecutively.
5. As the height was only sufficient for 1 flip, it crashes to the ground.

To avoid the consecutive flips, do this at step 3: Apply full forward elevator, but IMMEDIATELY move the stick back to neutral; or, IMMEDIATELY release the top-right button.

It is tough to prevent the second flip because the subsequent flip will be executed very quickly.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,365 Posts
In the 80s, I had a worned out computer keyboard. Pressing a key for a very short time will somehow result in multiple presses of that key. If I wish to type "Hello World" it'd become "HHeeellloooo WWooorrllddd". To avoid that, I must really be quick to release each key presses. But a better solution was getting a new keyboard.

My keyboard story is similar to the issue consecutive flips.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:57 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
2,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
I applied italics on the word "consecutive" in the phrase "accidental consecutive flips". I guess it wasn't clear so I'll explain. Here's the scenario:

1. Fly to a suitable height, stabilize, get ready for flip.
2. Hold down flip button, do not release.
3. Apply full forward elevator for a single flip.
4. Quad flipped three (3) times consecutively.
5. As the height was only sufficient for 1 flip, it crashes to the ground.

To avoid the consecutive flips, do this at step 3: Apply full forward elevator, but IMMEDIATELY move the stick back to neutral; or, IMMEDIATELY release the top-right button.

It is tough to prevent the second flip because the subsequent flip will be executed very quickly.
Ah, 'accidental consecutive flips', not 'accidental consecutive flips" OK, got that now But, I could probably deal with that. I like the idea of multiple flips.

The fact you get different behaviour out of the same quad/board with the different Txs - so the delays are in what/when the Tx transmits - is interesting. Would have though it would be in the quad/board - as it apparently is in the v929 with its 4 seconds delay between flips. So, the v939 Tx has no delay, but the v949 Tx has a small delay before it will 'check' the right shoulder button again, and you've got more time to let go of it?

Sounds like the v939 button is simply a trigger for the flip to occur. e.g. firmware says: if (right_button_pressed and stick=100%) then send(flip_command). and has no delays built in at all - or the delays are at the quad end if you can't do the same consecutive flips with a v939 and its own controller. So, once flip is initiated, you need to learn to release the button and/or move the stick back to neutral. You've presumably got a second or so to respond.

That's probably closer to what you do in a 'real' flip anyway, so as a 'hybrid' it's maybe slightly more satisfiying than 'press = flip' which many seem to find boring. What happens if you apply a boost of throttle at the right time - just before each flip starts- to counter the drop in height? It certainly helps doing that with other 'button press' flippers like the u816 and the X100 to retain height. Could make for some interesting behaviour: permanently flipping in one spot.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:37 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,365 Posts
If I remember correctly, I have to explicitly instruct the V949 to perform the second flip. Holding on to the button and the stick at 100% does not perform any consecutive flips. So to do 2 consecutive flips:

1. I had to press and hold the right button, move the stick from 0% to 100% to 0% to 100%.

Or

2. Move the stick to 100%, hold it there, press and release the right button, press and release the right button.

How the flip is commanded, remains a mystery. Your guess may be right, or it could be done this way i.e. the board decides to do a flip, not the TX:
Code:
/* V949 TX */
while {
    send(channelsArray[], right_button_pressed);
}

/* On the V949 board*/
if (right_button_pressed && channelsArray[direction].value==100)
    flipMe(direction);
What's more important, I think, is to execute manual flips. We have been yearning for that, now that it is here, I don't dare to try it! Heh.

Once that is done, try executing loops.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
2,781 Posts
Quote:
2. Move the stick to 100%, hold it there, press and release the right button, press and release the right button.
Oh, that's not too bad then. Tap tap, flip flip. Just a shame it wont try at 60%, when you've proved it's possible with another Tx. Can see them being a bit cautious, but still...
Quote:
Once that is done, try executing loops.
Bit confused by the orientation of the quad from 5-6. Looks like it inverts, then doesn't go completely over (if the darker red in the boxes is always the front), but re-rights itself to continue forward from 6 >(3)>7. If that's not what it's doing, then something added to your sketches to show which is the top/front of the quad would be helpful.
Last edited by Brandigan; Oct 31, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:37 PM
ptg
Barjetling Academy #1
Joined Apr 2005
359 Posts
949 ordered :)

Already ordered after I was very happy with 929.
I have ordereed at Banggood store on ebay.
Any infos if this model from ebay has lights ON/OFF switch ?
THX
ptg is offline Find More Posts by ptg
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:44 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptg View Post

THX
Yes, in theory. That's what the V949 primarily is, V929 with Lights, and a button to turn them on/off from the remote. However, I have ordered directly from BG and am still waiting for it to arrive. I didn't go through eBay, so YMMV. But I believe if V949 is what you ordered, the answers to your questions are Yes.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:52 PM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Yes, the lights are always ON.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptg View Post

THX
Maybe not? A.
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,365 Posts
V929 vs V949

I flew more flights with my V929 and V949. I tried different transmitters. In a nutshell, they fly differently. The V949 is not the V929 with lights and a fancy canopy.

V949 is less sensitive, less responsive to controls. Flying both at 40% and 60% would clearly show the V929 is more sensitive than the other. Piro rates are obviously different. I tried both TXs and the sensitivity feels the same. I prefer the reduced sensitivity of the V949.

Similarly to the point above, the V949 is slightly more stable but comes at the cost of high agility. The quad feels like it wants to stabilize itself more than the V929. This may be bad if you want it to dart around the sky and it seems to resist your commands. It feels slightly slower too as it tries to level itself more than the V929. To keep it in fast forward flight I need to apply more forward elevator. It's less likely to send the V949 into a wobble, which may make it a better candidate for capturing onboard videos. While the V949 feels more subdued, less fun than the V929, it resists wind better; As it's windy over here, I actually welcome the V949 stability-over-agility compromise.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
How does the 949 @100% compare to the 929 @60%?

Seeing as how my experience with the 929 is that I can't use 100% because of the auto-flip, the 949 could still have the option of greater agility because 100% is safe to use because you can't flip unless you hit the button. Yes, No, Maybe??

And sorry if this has been answered, but my brain is now mush wrt LED's. So on the 949, with the TX they send, is there any way to switch the LED's on and off? I think the last answer I saw was no (they are always on)?

Still trying to decide whether to get one.

cheers,
Andrew
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,365 Posts
If I remember correctly, 949 @100% feels the same as 929 @60%.

I am unable to switch off the LED lights with the 949 transmitter. It seems to me that the only way to off the lights is to unplug the LED wires from the board.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
If I remember correctly, 949 @100% feels the same as 929 @60%.

I am unable to switch off the LED lights with the 949 transmitter. It seems to me that the only way to off the lights is to unplug the LED wires from the board.
Thanks for the info. From my point of view that's kind of a bummer on both counts.

cheers,
Andrew
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,365 Posts
Please let me revisit 100% rate on the V949 again. I must say that I spend most of my time flying the 2 quads at 60%. It may not be that insensitive.

Is there any reason why you need to be able to toggle the lights from the TX? Even during daytime, I feel it is fine to keep the lights running. Of course, I don't fly in the day due to the scotching sun.