SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:50 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,759 Posts
Discussion
Display with nav lights "on" question

I have been invited to display a couple of my planes at a CAP seminar and banquet. I would like to put a battery in one with nav lights for the display.

Will it hurt the receiver or other components to have power to them for extended periods of time?

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:33 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,543 Posts
It all depends. Assuming your lights are run off the radio power circuit, then...

If you're using a seperate radio battery, running the radio without the transmitter may result in erratic, uncontrolled servo movements. The servos may run against the stops and could be damaged. It all depends on what your radio system does when the Rx is on and the Tx is off.

If you going to run off of the motor battery, through a BEC, you can add to the above the potential of the motor starting up unexpectedly. If this is the case, consider removing the prop and/or disconnecting the wires between the ESC and motor.

Why not just temporarily unplug the lights from the radio power buss and use an independent radio batter to power the lights during the display?

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:36 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,759 Posts
The lights are just plugged in to an unused channel on the reciever.

I have a couple of 2 cell batteries I don't use any more, I may just make an adaptor and see if the lights will run off of that for a while.

Thanks
Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:57 PM
R/C Addict for Life!!
Sterling/Rock Falls, Illinois, United States
Joined Oct 2001
558 Posts
Your solution will work, just dont use a 7.4 volt 2 cell lipo..........it would be too much. If your lights run off a reciever channel, they are set up for 4.8 volts. Try a one cell lipo, or a couple AA-s first to see if it works.

D
Darryl Miller is offline Find More Posts by Darryl Miller
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:56 PM
Canada, AB, Fort MacLeod
Joined Aug 2011
247 Posts
You could use a reciever battery pack and unplug everything but the lights. I would be tempted to use another reciever to power the lights and leave the plane reciever alone.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...IES/Categories
Johnny Five is offline Find More Posts by Johnny Five
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:26 AM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
909 Posts
I've been using a servo-testor to run my lights during my recent build.

Matt
MattZC is offline Find More Posts by MattZC