HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:43 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post
Nice work Manolo!!! It's a pleasure to watch you in action. Following closely....

Rob
Tx a lot for your support and gently words..., actually we will continue posting the covering, radio and propulsion installation, and flying report.
But as said I keep posting some days with delay..., so as information, yestarday was the maiden fligh...., and wow... Iīm extasiated ....

OLIMPIC II (4 min 44 sec)

OLYMPIC II SPOILERS (1 min 19 sec)
ultimatetwo is offline Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Last edited by ultimatetwo; Dec 30, 2012 at 07:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:47 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,150 Posts
That is by far the nicest Oly I've ever seen,Shape, color ,stripe's,-----. A stunning result.Congratulations!
doc993 is online now Find More Posts by doc993
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:39 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,086 Posts
Tx a lot bubbies for your nice comments....Actually this e-sailplane is a true joy to fly and keeps all the originals friendly characteristic or the Renaudīs desing.., just a little Ultimateīs touch on the finish and nose shapes lines an so....but 95 percent of the plane keeps intouched from the original idea....
After horizontal stab was covered, me cut the film on the center bay to enter the vertical stab, but we keeped over 1mm. overlap of film and ironed inside the bays walls. Also, as we can see the marked lines through the transp. yellow covering, we cut also the base of the vertical stab that enter inside the bay, and leave another 1mm. extra so bare wood couldnīt be seen after both stabs will be glued... after that we checked the fitt, but as said, we doesnīt glued nothing yet...
After the tail pieces were ironed, we begin with the wing. I like to use manila folders to do patterns for cutting iron, this way is possible save covering material a little checking with the pattern over the extended covering froll, the best position for saving covering and also let a precise cutting adjustment of the pieces.... a good cleaning with the home vacuum and monokote tack cloth and weīre ready to covering time on the wing. We started with the yellow areas, and the lower surfaces... so line gaps will not be visible when the model is resting on the ground....
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:32 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Beautiful Manolo!! She looks great in the air - nicely done!!

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:34 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post
Beautiful Manolo!! She looks great in the air - nicely done!!

Rob
Tx a lot Rob, ... as said I wanted to keep the classical old Ole II as my first one, cause is very visible and neat..., at least for me...
And said that fo friend Rob, letīs continue with the covering....
After the center yellow transp. zone were covered we went for the orange that overlap over 5mm. over the yellow and we leave a 5 mm. or so extra on the line that meet the red, but this extra covering we ironed to the sides of the ribs, for more security against peeling of... just used enough iron to secure the perimeter of the covering but not add more heat for tension and shrink the material until all the half wing will be covered and check for any warps, as we did with the stabs.
The real challenge on the wing covering are the hoerner tips.
We tried to do on a single piece each half wing side continued with the rest of the red area, so go ahead, On the bottom side we reach and get a fine tip covering without any joint line..., but on the upper surface this time by a little but we canīt by a few... and just to add another trim red piece on the rear area....
A tip for covering these hoerner tips is shrink the covering when needed with heat and then aply when you need to cover a area that it is bigger than the film . Othertimes is the contrary, it is to say, you need to shrink the covering with heat without pull and then aply to the wood.
The trim iron for these tips is also a very good help and there is even a shoe with a round area, but really we did with the flat one...
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:46 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,086 Posts
Letīs go a little bit.... After one half wing was covered we went for the another.
The following is the spoilers blade. I like to cover each blade with one single piece of covering and avoid any seam on the hinge area, the covering is joined and overlapped on the trailing edge. This way it looks less prone to warping or peeling with as time goes on. Also on the inner side of the blades we must to cut a circle of the covering to let outside the round magnet...
Once the blades were covered we went to shrink the wing and give tension to the covering. As said I doesnīt used the heat gun, only the normal covering iron with the heat adjusted a little more than neccesary but not pressing the wood, just gliding the iron over 1-2 mm. from the wing surface, and also, very important not go over the seam of colours separation to avoid activate the film adhesive and all the piece will be to shrink again and mar the job....
We doesnīt cut yet the spoilers bay... just check the half wings for any warps on a true flat surface....
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:00 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,086 Posts
Here we go again...
Over the center sheeting we wanted that the covering will be glued to the wood, so we glided the iron over the area, and inmediatly pressed the iron with the monokote hand glove to get a smooth and scratch free bond....
Once the entire wing was checked for warps we went again over the area near the spoilers blade to get a good bond here too and then cutted the covering leaving a 5mm. or so of extra monokote that was ironed to the inside sides of the spoilers bay.
A 1 cm. wide of monokote strip with the corners a little rounded were cut and ironed by the half to the spoilers blades to serve as the hinge line....
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:01 PM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
800 Posts
I would like to try your spoiler system on the Oly II I'm building. I understand your servo installation and magnet but could you post some pictures of what you did, if anything, to the servo arm. Thanks, Jan
jcarstan is online now Find More Posts by jcarstan
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:51 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarstan View Post
I would like to try your spoiler system on the Oly II I'm building. I understand your servo installation and magnet but could you post some pictures of what you did, if anything, to the servo arm. Thanks, Jan
No problemo buddy...., as said the best linkage between servo and blade is no linkage. Just cut the servo arms, and leave one just long enough to reach the blade but also that could be retracted inside the servo bay. Ciano and glue a 2mm. plywood rectangular piece that serve as a pusher... On the blade and well aligned we cut the covering and glued another 2mm. rectangle piece that must overlap over 3mm.or so on the hinge line, but anyway must leave to fully close the blade.
The real thing is that this set up is really simple. The pusher slides over the slider plate when the servo arm goes up, and when it retracts inside the bay, the simple gravity, wind flow and lastly the magnet close fully the blade. Magnets keeps the blade closed even inverted. I use a radio channel for each spoiler and use a free programable mix. This way you can do with a modern radio all adjustment from travel, end point or so that will be neccesary.... For closing the blade and be flush with the wing surface you can turn on or off as neccesary the center screw that serve also as holding for the magnet....
For conecting the servo extensions to the right channel on the receiver I use colored flags, this way it is more difficult to do a mistake while mounting the model to fly in a hurry at the flying time....

I used this system in my E-BOT and Iīm really happy... No cords to adjust from time to time, no rubbers bands to change when they lost elasticity or dry, and lead for close the blade, are that... dead weigh...

BOT´S SPOILERS (1 min 13 sec)

And thatīs all Jan, welcome to the blog. Not a idea from my own. I just got many good ideas from other fellows, the magnet from a buddy, the monokote hinge line from another, the pushers from another scale modeller for bombs dropping... and so on, and sintetized all on a single system....
Manolo.
A sound and simple system....; ( K.I.S.S. of keep simple stupid .... )
Last edited by ultimatetwo; Jan 02, 2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:59 PM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
800 Posts
Thank you. That seems simple enough. Yep, KISS is the way to go. I tried a linkage with wire but tore it out and was going to go with the pull thread like I have on my age old Aquila. Excellent blog/thread on this build. Using it as reference. Jan
jcarstan is online now Find More Posts by jcarstan
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:15 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,086 Posts
And said that to friend Jan, letīs posting a little bit, about our covering scheeme. If we see closely the old Airtronics adds, we could see a black stripe on the separation areas of the colours. We would like to reproduce this pin striping. We cutted a 5 mm. wide from oracover carbon high tech look instead of black, to add a modern touch and ironed carefully to the separation lines....
After that, the wing it is almost finished..., not really but almost. But for now lets start with the fuse covering.... We planned to use a two main colours, a met. red bottom and yellow on the upper area, with some orange stripping job.
For the colours design we traced it on bare fuse wood with a fine black ball pen. Manila folders will be a lot usefull to trace patterns for cutting the covering...
Manolo.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:22 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarstan View Post
Thank you. That seems simple enough. Yep, KISS is the way to go. I tried a linkage with wire but tore it out and was going to go with the pull thread like I have on my age old Aquila. Excellent blog/thread on this build. Using it as reference. Jan
Youīre welcome anytime Jan..., and Tx a lot for that gentle words, mate. By the way, I also have a 1.979 built Aquila with hundreds of flight..and some crashes too... three times wing and tail covering and painted fuse... but flies and looks as nice as the first day.... please no doubt of upload some post of your personal KISS spoilers system on the Aquila cause the next time called for recovering it my idea is to actualize and install this system and leave the old corded lines...
Best regards.
Manolo.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:18 AM
AMA 179
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Dec 2007
106 Posts
Lots of good building tips in your log, I'll be incorporating many of them in my Oly 3, now under construction. Thanks!
Luckyducky is offline Find More Posts by Luckyducky
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:57 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyducky View Post
Lots of good building tips in your log, I'll be incorporating many of them in my Oly 3, now under construction. Thanks!
Tx a lot for that kind words mate..., actually, that is the reason of that blog-thread..., feel like home and free to use and ask whatever you like about our hobby...
Manolo.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:12 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,086 Posts
... And well, letīs continue posting a little bit about our Ole covering sheeme...
After the separation lines were drawn on the fuse we begin to cut the manila folders and cut using them the monokote pieces. As yellow is lighter of met. red, for a good finish and the darker colour doesnīt show later over the clearer yellow, we choosed to iron the yellow first, leaving over 3mm. overlaping a little more than the painted line to iron latter met. red film.
A good cleaning of dust again with monokote tack cloth and weīre ready to go. We used a metal straighedge and new sharp, single edge blades to get clean, straigh cuttin lines... now is were the carboard background pays its price...
The little trim iron it is nice to reach that difficult corner.. also we like to overlap the monokote inside the fuse frame, this way it prevents for peeling and ages well as times goes fly....