Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:12 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post
Hey Manolo, nothing to add really other than "looking good!"

I just wanted to let you know that someone (I'm sure there are many more) is watching and following closely

Cheers,

Rob
Tx again for your gentle words and support mate... Actually I would preffer a more interactive thread cause I supposed that as US is the homeland of the Oly II many veterans and not so builders may share their experience..., but things are so...this way all opinions are wellcome and I really apreciate the comments of all buddies whose posted.
Anyway if just only a idea of those exposed would help to somenone, this thread-blog would be worth..., as said at the beginning I did just for sharing.
And now, let´s continue with the fuse build...
We framed from spruce sticks a inner extructure that fit the inside fuse. This will be the bottom of our built-up canopy. Now we traced a pattern for the canopy-hatch sides and cutted from 1mm. cardbord, to transfer on 5mm. balsa sheet..
Before we temporally installed the wing over the fuse to see the lines. ... ¡¡¡ Wow... it needs a lot of sanding but, ...by first time, the thing looks like a Oly ...¡¡¡¡
ultimatetwo is online now Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:11 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
851 Posts
We continued with the canopy-hatch build. After the 5mm. balsa sides were cutted, we did a channel on the rear fo fit F-2 bulkhead, added 8mm. triangle balsa to the top sides to let a rounded sanding, and glued the bottom framing and a false bulkhead made with 3mm. light ply...After that we added 3mm. top sheeting and a block on the front.
The balsa block was carved inside to let room for the motor cables...
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:18 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
851 Posts
Now it is time for sanding, so .... a little elbow grease helps...
The front sheeting near the nose it is very light cause we hollowed this area to let passing the motor cables and even it is possible like we happened, that some holes were done. We reinforced the inner area of the hatch by inside with light fiberglass cloth and ciano.
On the outside a little balsa filler and things go fine again...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:38 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
851 Posts
Now it is the time for more sanding, filling and sanding again... but,... what a heck, a good covering job begin with a fine sanding work....so there is no option...
After the fuse were sanding to the right shape and filling on some areas with Hobbylite filler we set aside by now and went to the tail again. Now it is time also for final shaping...
We traced a line on the contours to help on sanding and used alum. blocks and a old plywood sanding tool that came in a oldie Carl Goldberg Ultimate´s Bipe kit that we did about twenty years ago; ( and still flying like a champ... ) that helps a lot on those rounds outlines.
( Now you all know were cames my nik... but please don´t say it to nobody...).
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:51 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
851 Posts
so... let´s go with the tail surfaces... After both sides were fine sanded, we finish the elevators on a sharpie trailing edge, but leaved over 2mm. on the end to avoid any warping when covering...
After that we traced the optionals lightening round holes, caution was used so these holes doesn´t will be too close were´re the hinges...:
And that´s all by now folks...have a good weekend...popcorn:
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:18 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
851 Posts
Let´s continue with the airframe build... After we cut the optional rounds holes on the elevators to save some weigh, now it is the time for sanding... so replace all those old sand papers and get some time to do a good job. As said, the best covering jobs begin with a fine sanding...
Also we traced a pattern of the leading edge of the airfoil to help carve the Chilean pine and reach a accurate curve...
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:25 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
851 Posts
Sanding, sanding, sanding... As this step does a lot of balsa dust, for marriage peace and gain some good points so later my wife sew for us a nice wing bag, we went outside to to the most important of the sanding jobs and we did only inside home just minors sanding like pieces matching...
Temporally we joined both half wing pannels and installed both joiners rods so we can do a good fit on the ply root ribs...
We did the best that we could now on this step cause latter we´re going to glassing the center section.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:38 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
851 Posts
Let´s continue a little bit posting our Oly e-conversion build.
We give to the wing a sanding with 220 sandpaper. The antivortex tip will receive a good sanding to get the right contours. Mr. Renaud said that it is not necesary to glassing this ship but as we´re going to use a bolt-on wing and sometimes use the ship on the slope, by personal prefferences, we´re going to glass the wing center section and the belly of the fuse...
For the wing we used for glassing as a alternative to fiberglass a cloth called here by ladies " organdí ". It gives a smoooth finish and it is very easy to install.
Let´s see how we does...
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:47 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
851 Posts
Let´s go with the wing center section glassing...
We mixed a 50 per cent tinned with alcohol 24 hours epoxy and give a coat to the center section less over 1cm. or so near the trailing edge. We roll on a scrap balsa stick the cloth and glue with fine ciano on that 1cm. near the trailing edge.
Then we coat with a flat brush the balsa and lay the cloth over the epoxy, giving some tension so the cloth will be without warps.
After the cloth was placed, we let the epoxy curing during a couple of days or so and then cut we a sharp and new single edge blade the surpluss of the cloth so it will be flush with the plywood root ribs...
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:31 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
851 Posts
Well budies, let´s continue with the wing framing...After we glassed the center sections it is time to finish the spoilers, so we shaped the trailing edge, adjust to the bays and cut some holes to lightness. Also wit time, spoilers sometimes warp so to avoid that, what I do is be very carefull when covering and go easy with the iron and heat, and also a good help to a straigh blade is to glass at least the inner side as we did with the center section...
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:41 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
851 Posts
Let´s go with the spoilers... Once glassed the inner side of the spoilers we cut and sanded the cloth to mate the contours and checked the fit, leaving over 1 mm. all around between the blade and the bay cause we must cover the wing...or it won´t fly...
As our spoilers will be servo operated by a 9grs. 1´5 kg. force servo, temporally we taped to the center beam the servo cables to route inside the center sheeting.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:36 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
851 Posts
We continued a little with the spoilers. My idea about the linkage is that the best linkage is not linkage, so what we did is use a magnet to close the blade, and the same servo with a modiffied arm push up the blade. To retract the servo move down the arm and the gravity, the wind when the sailplane is flying and the magnet at the end close the blade...
I used this system before on my E-BOT and work flawless..., so this is what I did is to follow the principle of KISS; ( Keep simple stupid...).

We glued a magnet to the inner face of the blade, close to the center and also build a little tray for a screw. You can turn the screw and this way it is possible to accurate adjust the heigh of the blade to close flush with the wing surface.
The magnet hold the blade so strong that you can put the wing inverted and doesn´t open, but still have a light pressure to not overload the servo...
In this video you can see how works this aproach on my BOT....
The little delay between one and other blade at closing when the plane is flying doesn´t exist cause the wind slipstream flow equal on both blades and close at the same time the two spoilers.
Cheers.
Manolo.

FRENOS PAJARO DEL TIEMPO (1 min 45 sec)
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:16 AM
User
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,527 Posts
Great stuff Manolo! I'm really enjoying your build and all of the great detailed photographs of your process! I almost didn't want to post this, as I don't want to "contaminate" this great thread, but just had to let you know that I'm here!

Nice clean solution for the spoilers also. I use the same idea of the magnet as a mechanism for closing the spoilers on my Chrysalis and it works very well. I must say that I do like the screw as the point of contact for the magnet, and how it can be easily adjusted up/down for smoother operation. That is a much better solution than I came up with and I hope that you do not mind if I copy it on my Oly? The center sections on mine are almost completed, and then it's on to the outer sections! Finding time to build lately has been challenging, but I will keep it moving, albeit a little slow for my likes!

Thanks,

Rob
robh is online now Find More Posts by robh
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:56 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
851 Posts
Tx a lot again for your kindly words and support Rob.
Actually my idea about the spoilers system is a compilation of neat ideas that I saw to others fellows, what I did only is to join them in this simple set-up and enjoy the infinite adjustment and mixes of modern computer radio. So we can check the travel of both blades with simple radio programing and even mix to elevator to compensate some pitch down; ( on the BOT ), when spoilers are full deployed ...
I still have in flying conditions my old Airtronics Aquila, and used the original string spoiler system. It works but it needs adjustment from time to time, little rubber bands to close servo are ok, at the begining but with time you must change cause bands dry and lost elasticity, and lead weigh are that, ... weigh... Nowdays with these little 9 grs. servos, you can installl inside the wing airfoil, does their mission, and are really a bargain...
Please, please feel free to post anything that you consider interesting. As said, I enjoy sharing ideas and everybody´re welcome. I like interactive blogs-threads instead of boring monologues....
And said that to friend Rob, let´s continue with the Oly framing.
Now it is time to the servo operated spoilers. We did a 1/64 plywood, pine and balsa servo tray. Really things here it is very small so caution with the ciano or you will be gluing yours fingers tips instead the wood pieces...
We installed the servo and the trays on the spoilers bay close to the center of the wing to keep the mass near the center, and reinforced the joint with some epoxy....
Last edited by ultimatetwo; Dec 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:25 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
851 Posts
Let´s continue... after the spoilers servos were installed, we cut some rounds from dense 1cm. wide foam to keep neat the routing of the servo´s cables.
On the exit of the servos cables we installed a double round grommet so it is not possible to accidentally that servos wires could came full into the wing and also we can push or pull the servos extensions to hooking the conectors to the receiver or pull all the cable inside the wing and leave only outside the conector to keep the wiring neatly ..