HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:07 AM
Joined Jun 2008
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post
Looking good Manolo! Here's a couple of shots of the nose of mine. I attempted to do as you suggest and get the nose to feather into the spinner as much as possible. I think with a little more sanding she'll be good to go!

Cheers,

Rob
Looking good. What size spinner?
glidarflyar is offline Find More Posts by glidarflyar
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:07 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
It's a 40 mm RFM Spinner.
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:43 AM
Central Indiana
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetwo View Post
Hi Davis, welcome to the blog. My Oly is built by plans from the original Airtronics kit, and plan to stay very close to it, even fighting to change some things, but I want to keep the most from the original good Renaud´s ideas, without of course the e-conversion, some more streamlined nose area and simulated built canopy, a little more rounded fuse corners, individual servo operated spoilers, and a bolt on wing.
Anyway I have read a lot of good things about Skybench kits and the more modern versions and the rest of the production of that fine company.
So please feel free to posting and share your ideas and opinion.
Best regards.
Manolo.
Thanks for the welcome Manolo,

I'm hoping to get started on my kit some time soon.

BTW - Here's a thread I found while researching RC Groups on OLY II info:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1151752&page=9

Enjoy!
Mike
m.davis is offline Find More Posts by m.davis
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:45 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,061 Posts
Nice, my idea is to use one of 45 mm., but maybe it is a little big. On my BOT I used one of this size with plastic cone and alum. hollowed plate. I openened a hole on the peak of the spinner to get proper cooling.
A similar aproach to your job, Rob. Please, can you give us some info about de propulsion set-up...
Mike, Tx a lot for that link to this thread it looks a very good one with lot of info about this sailplane with very neat ideas.
ultimatetwo is offline Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:09 AM
Jerez Frontera (Spain)
Joined Nov 2004
416 Posts
Hi Manolo.
Greetings from Jerez.

Are you going to use an outrunner?.

Recently I`ve finished the e-conversion of a Dynaflite "Skeeter". I`d used a KDA (outrunner) and I`ve made a channel for the motor wires (when sheeting the underside of the nose I used, first, a sheet with the center zone relieved for the wires and glued on top of this another sheet closing the channel)

Cheers.
José Luis G.
JoseLG is offline Find More Posts by JoseLG
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:24 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseLG View Post
Hi Manolo.
Greetings from Jerez.

Are you going to use an outrunner?.

Recently I`ve finished the e-conversion of a Dynaflite "Skeeter". I`d used a KDA (outrunner) and I`ve made a channel for the motor wires (when sheeting the underside of the nose I used, first, a sheet with the center zone relieved for the wires and glued on top of this another sheet closing the channel)

Cheers.
José Luis G.
Hi José-Luís, welcome to the blog..., cheers from Rota too....
Yeap José, I plan to use an outrunner motor to power the Oly, an Axi Gold Line 2820/12; http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?...e=12&line=GOLD.
I have a spare one and believe that it should do a good job spinning a 13 x 6 Cam-Am carbon folding prop, with 3S 2200 mah and 40 or 45 amp. speed controlller.
Please no doub about posting some pics of your E-Skeeter and your mods too. Some years ago, I did a bashed Skeeter with a more streamlined fuse, built canopy, enlarged rudder and Hoerner tips. I called " Primilla ", like the little falcons that lives near our area ... It was really a joy to fly, and even helped me to teach soaring to newbees on our club. I flew it doing slope soaring on the coastals dunes on Punta Candor and also piggycarried on a Carl Goldberg Eagle II trainer.
Nice to know about you.
Best regards.
Manolo.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:22 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,061 Posts
Well buddies. Now let´s start the wing framing. The idea is to build it very close to the original Renaud´s idea. By now, I plan to frame it just stock and only changed the bottom rear balsa spar on the roots pannels by pine of the same dimensions and add 2mm. balsa triangles between the rear of the ribs and the shaped trailing edges. Leading edge was shaped for me by a carpenter friend. He machined from Chilean Pine spars; very light, flexible and strong.
I checked the weigh of all the main pieces to try that both half wing pannels have the same weigh or at least the most equal, so latter we doesn´t have to add some weigh on one of the tips to equilibrate, or that weigh be the less posible.
Also I punched some holes on the neccesary ribs to let passing more later the servos spoilers cables. By the same reason, some ribs were trimed to fit the spoilers blade and the rear balsa spar on the spoilers bay...
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:03 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseLG View Post
Hi.
We have been flying together in Punta Candor. Now I fly mainly electric planes/gliders with Iñaki and Lebrija.

Now some pics of my Skeeter.
Hi José, actually I doesn´t remember exactly who are you of the guys from Jerez that flew slope soaring in Punta Candor some years ago, maybe my mind is not as good as younger. I remember Iñaki and others Jerez and Lebrija friends, so please say hello to them for me when you may.
Your Skeeter looks cool, really cool and you did a really good job en the electric conversión. I like very much and that motor will have plenty of power to goes up...
Some month ago a old modeller friend gifted me a Top Flite Wristrocrat glider. It is also a vintage hand launch glider of similar size of your Skeeter. Not sure yet about do a future e-conversion or just built it as pure glider, but I will keep some of your own ideas for it.
Tx for sharing my friend and please feel free to visit my club airfield in Costa Ballena or contact to fly slope again.
Manolo.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:10 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,061 Posts
The Oly2 build continues framing the wing root pannels, we sheeted with balsa planks the bottom center section, added the triangles gussets on the trailing edges and shear webs between the bottom and upper main spars...
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:15 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,061 Posts
We began the building of the joiner box adding the front plywood reinforcemen and also the polyhedral balsa filler betwen both main spars cut to the righ angle.
Also, center ribs was cutted to continue with the set-up of the joiner boxes..
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:08 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,061 Posts
Hi buddies, lets continue with the center pannels build. I keeped pretty Airtronics stock wing, just as said changed the rear bottom balsa spar by pine and added 2 cm. balsa triangles between the shaped trailing edge and the rear area of the ribs.
Once that we did the basical both inner pannels it is time to work on the center joiner so we cut the rod from 5mm. steel and and 6 mm. outer dia. brass tubes..a good sanding of the tubes is fine to a better epoxy bond.
Last edited by ultimatetwo; Nov 04, 2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:15 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,061 Posts
After the rod tubes were sanded I just pluged the inner holes with some 2mm. balsa glued with ciano to keep that accidentally epoxy could enter inside the tubes when they were glued on the joiner boxes.
I cheeked the right angle of the root ribs and when everything was Ok y just hold well aligned both center pannels with tape and clamps, fitted the tubes with the rod installed and now it is .... the epoxy time.
I just did some spots of epoxy inside the boxes to glue at the right angle the tubes. After that we will need to complety fill with more epoxy the inside of the joiners boxes and add the rear plywood strip....
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:37 PM
volare est vivere
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jan 2005
2,015 Posts
hi there from Toledo (Toledo Ohio USA, that is.)

Excellent job on the scratch built OlyII, I have a 35 year old OlyII which flies as well today as it did when it was new. Over the years many OlyII have been flown all over the world.

Most recently I built a 28" long center panel to stretch the wing to 128" total wing span. This modification greatly improved the thermal flying performance. I really look forward to your finished OlyII and the report of the maiden flight.

ciao -rjf
ray foley is offline Find More Posts by ray foley
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:32 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray foley View Post
hi there from Toledo (Toledo Ohio USA, that is.)

Excellent job on the scratch built OlyII, I have a 35 year old OlyII which flies as well today as it did when it was new. Over the years many OlyII have been flown all over the world.

Most recently I built a 28" long center panel to stretch the wing to 128" total wing span. This modification greatly improved the thermal flying performance. I really look forward to your finished OlyII and the report of the maiden flight.

ciao -rjf
Hi Ray, Tx a lot for your gentle words. Congratulations for that oldie O2 and still flying too, that´s a good investment ....My Airtronic´s Aquila must be of the same time, and also flyes equal that yours too..., but of course, every ten years or so I teared the covering and iron a new one, sand and paint again the fuse and install new electronic gear if neccesary, and then she is again ready to rock and roll...
Your O2 with that extra long wing must have a astonishing thermal performance..., wow.please, please, ... upload some pics...

... and now let´s go with the Oly2 build. After the rods tubes were spot secured to the joiners boxes we put both wing pannels with the leading edges resting against the building board, and fill the cavity inside the joiner boxes with slow curing 24 hours epoxy.
After that we added the rear plywood strip and the main joiner box it is finished.
We set aside the inner pannels and begin to frame up the outer pannels.....