Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:13 AM
3D Enthusiast
United States, UT, Orem
Joined Nov 2012
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
did you get the mix worked out for ke? Mind sharing the values?
It's not perfect just yet, but the rudder to elevator mix is pretty good, definitely better than none. I currently have it set to D: +9% U: -11%. I also had some decent results with the rudder to ailerons at L: -6% R: -6%. Again, these values could use a bit more tweaking, but its a good place to start. I'd be interested to know how it works for you and others, or if you had better results with different settings.
Orem_Aeronut is offline Find More Posts by Orem_Aeronut
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:09 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orem_Aeronut View Post
It's not perfect just yet, but the rudder to elevator mix is pretty good, definitely better than none. I currently have it set to D: +9% U: -11%. I also had some decent results with the rudder to ailerons at L: -6% R: -6%. Again, these values could use a bit more tweaking, but its a good place to start. I'd be interested to know how it works for you and others, or if you had better results with different settings.
Thanks for the numbers, I'll probably try to program transm. today, but that's about it. Weather is to be high of 36 with 22-30 mph winds. And the whole day off with nothing else to do. I'm new to all this, and sort of understand the elev to rudder I think. So when you control the rudder for ke, the elevator gets a small up elev signal to control the pull to wheels (or whichever way it goes), right? But don't completely understand the rudder to ailerons. For ke flight, I figure I'm controlling ailerons to put it on edge and can pretty well handle that part, and controlling rudder to keep it out of the dirt and that's when the turn towards the wheels comes in. So just what does the rudder to ailerons try to do? Thanks for the help.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:55 AM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
Usually a rudder to ail mix is for making flat turns, knife edge loop etc. it also helps ke if you have issues with the plane trying to roll out of knife edge.
slo-fly is online now Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:58 PM
3D Enthusiast
United States, UT, Orem
Joined Nov 2012
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
Usually a rudder to ail mix is for making flat turns, knife edge loop etc. it also helps ke if you have issues with the plane trying to roll out of knife edge.
That's exactly it. when in ke, this plane wants to pull toward the wheels, and it wants to roll out into level flight. That's why I mixed both elevator and ailerons.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:55 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,691 Posts
You may want to get the cg just right before you start mixing. The reason that your plane is pulling toward the gear in knife edge flight may be the result of a tail heavy cg. A tail heavy plane will generally have some down elevator trim to fly level. The down elevator trim will cause the plane to tuck to the gear in knife edge flight.

To remedy this, you will need to move the cg forward a little and re-trim. Then, check to see if the tuck to the gear is gone. Repeat as necessary and mix only as a last result.

Enjoy your flying.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:59 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAC4123 View Post
I just started this thread for people to discuss this new plane. I didn't know someone else beat me to it! =)
At 26" I wouldn't classify it as a micro anyway. I'm surprised it's in that forum.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
At 26" I wouldn't classify it as a micro anyway. I'm surprised it's in that forum.

Azarr
I wondered that also. I'm not good enough to know if a plane is a good 3d plane or not, but felt I could tell what was a micro, and somehow, this one just doesn't really fit the micro size to me either. I see it as a fantastic park flyer, a great small aerobatic plane, and maybe even a 3d plane, but it just doesn't look like or fly like a micro.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:33 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,955 Posts
Maiden

Mine had quite a few issues out of the box,I figured i would hold off until after i flew it to see how much these issues would affect its flight. It flew ok,i didnt do much with it since it was cold out and I just wanted to get a baseline flight in and get home.. it does need some dialing in still for my liking. I went a bit higher on the high rates than the manual suggests.. I need to tone down or add more expo on the ailerons for hovering and harrier but it seems fine for what it is and flys like a smaller balsa plane. Snaps,spins etc it seems to like with its higher wingloading,knife edge wasnt bad and the little bit of tuck and roll was easy to correct on the sticks for me. Nothing special but heres the video of the maiden.. Now on to the issues out of the box and there were many,some minor and some that really shouldn't be issues out of the box for the $180+ I paid for mine at the local shop.

1.Cowl doesn't lock in well.. nothing like in the new and hot product video.
2.Elevator stab was very crooked,shimming with toothpic tips got it almost perfect.
3.Motor mount.. Wasn't very secure so i had to slice the foam and reglue it so it wouldnt let go in the air or cause bad vibrations(Didn't like the factory glue or the glue job from the factory)
4.Elevator stab negative incidence.. On mine atleast. Maybe its part of the design? Even with a 3s 460mah lipo shoved up in the nose it took quite a bit of down trim for straight and level flight.. this was very apparent after take off on the maiden.
5.Wings took way to much force to slide into the locking tabs and didnt align very well for the screws to retain them.
6.Flashing on receiver area for the carbon tube.. not a biggie but i shouldnt need an exacto to make things fit on molded plastic parts at this price point.
7.This one really baffles me.. The outrunner had a piece of tape around the endbell? Did this affect balance.. probably. Why did a brand new plane have tape around the outrunner and why did the sticker have nics in it?

E-Flite QQ Edge 540 Maiden (5 min 49 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:52 PM
3D Enthusiast
United States, UT, Orem
Joined Nov 2012
61 Posts
I had similar problems. Like one of the hinges on the rudder wasn't in the slot, just sucking out the side. The elevator wasn't coplanar. The cowl is loose on mine also. My tail wheel fell off during flight. My fuselage had moderate damage; it looked like someone jabbed it with a flathead screwdriver about 5 or 6 times near the rx hatch. My motor also had tape on it. Not sure what to think about it all.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:02 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,955 Posts
You can kind of make out the tape on the outrunner if you look good in the out of the box pics i posted when i got it. I held off on all the quality issues since i figured i must of just got a really bad one. One of the guys from the local shop bought one to so i'll bring mine in to compare and see if his has all the same issues mine did. Other than the elevator stab pointing considerably downward and it needing lots of down trim for level flight with the pack in the nose it flew reasonably well for what it is. If i cut out the stab and shim it neutral with the wing and reglue it that should take care of that. Once its dialed with throws and expo a bit more for my liking i'll play around with it more. Interesting yours had the tape on the outrunner to.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,659 Posts
Quote:
Just a follow up, thanks for the numbers. They worked quite well - just used the rudder to elev mix. It was too cold for me, but just had to go out anyway, so didn't spend time to try to tweak settings, but really made a difference in how easy ke was. I had managed a few decent ones on Wed, but this made them much easier. In some better weather, I'll play with it some, but at 35F with 10mph breeze, it just wasn't a play around with stuff day. I'm not a 3d'r, but did actually manage a hover or two with it also. I love this little plane.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:30 PM
3D Enthusiast
United States, UT, Orem
Joined Nov 2012
61 Posts
[E=bobly;23353476]Just a follow up, thanks for the numbers. They worked quite well - just used the rudder to elev mix. It was too cold for me, but just had to go out anyway, so didn't spend time to try to tweak settings, but really made a difference in how easy ke was. I had managed a few decent ones on Wed, but this made them much easier. In some better weather, I'll play with it some, but at 35F with 10mph breeze, it just wasn't a play around with stuff day. I'm not a 3d'r, but did actually manage a hover or two with it also. I love this little plane.[/QUOTE]

glad it worked out for you. I was having a lot of fun with it as well . Guess I'll be the first to post a crash on this plane. Coming out of a blender, realized I was above alone trees, and panic-avoided them only to lose it, noise first to the asphalt. All fixable I guess, but those props are backordered till who knows when.sad face.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:45 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,256 Posts
Quote:
[E=bobly;23353476]Just a follow up, thanks for the numbers. They worked quite well - just used the rudder to elev mix. It was too cold for me, but just had to go out anyway, so didn't spend time to try to tweak settings, but really made a difference in how easy ke was. I had managed a few decent ones on Wed, but this made them much easier. In some better weather, I'll play with it some, but at 35F with 10mph breeze, it just wasn't a play around with stuff day. I'm not a 3d'r, but did actually manage a hover or two with it also. I love this little plane.
glad it worked out for you. I was having a lot of fun with it as well . Guess I'll be the first to post a crash on this plane. Coming out of a blender, realized I was above alone trees, and panic-avoided them only to lose it, noise first to the asphalt. All fixable I guess, but those props are backordered till who knows when.sad face.[/QUOTE]

Get one of the J3 Cub props (which is a 7030) or a GWS 7035. I'm using the 7035 and it works great. Anything is better than those flimsy stock props.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:51 PM
3D Enthusiast
United States, UT, Orem
Joined Nov 2012
61 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I was trying to find something usable. I'll give it a shot.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:02 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,256 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I was trying to find something usable. I'll give it a shot.
I think that both are an improvement over the stock prop.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm