SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:15 AM
God is Good
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jan 2011
1,111 Posts
New Product
26" Edge 540QQ 280 BNF by E-Flite

Here is a thread I want to start for the new UMX qqedge540!
Feel free to post anything or any questions on this thread!
TMAC4123 is offline Find More Posts by TMAC4123
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by TMAC4123; Nov 18, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Jan 2008
118 Posts
looks cool, they should of put AS3X in it.
rapala is offline Find More Posts by rapala
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:16 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,315 Posts
The wingspan says 26''.

I would've also liked AS3X. It lets me fly micros on those not so calm days, but from the video it's looks like it will fly well.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Last edited by hone1er; Oct 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:59 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
This plane is way heavier than the newer UMX planes. It maybe that it doesn't need AS3X, although I'm a big fan.
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:15 PM
God is Good
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jan 2011
1,111 Posts
Edge 540QQ 280 BNF Basic by E-flite (2 min 15 sec)
TMAC4123 is offline Find More Posts by TMAC4123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UMX Icon A5 Lights!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:08 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdId=EFL6250
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:18 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Very nice! Just in time for Christmas!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:28 AM
7.62x51
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
699 Posts
Darn it! I just bought the UM Spitfire and the Flyzone Beaver. Now this? I must have this! It's what I've wanted, a bigger 3D plane than the UMX Beast that doesn't have AS3X and takes small batts.
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,315 Posts
You guys think i can use this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=27174 so i can use my Aurora 9 TX?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:45 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,950 Posts
Without the fantastic AS3X this plane is a no go. How can you enjoy your beasts and SBachs and then take this plane out and fly without stabilization? Unless it's dead calm it wouldn't be worth flying this plane.

Love the look of the plane and its a niche size which is cool. I did like probably everyone else did, go straight to the specs and look for AS3X.

Perhaps if we wait a year it will have some form of stabilization. AS3X would be too small for this plane. Hopefully the mad scientists at HH are at work on something.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:48 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
Without the fantastic AS3X this plane is a no go. How can you enjoy your beasts and SBachs and then take this plane out and fly without stabilization? Unless it's dead calm it wouldn't be worth flying this plane.

Love the look of the plane and its a niche size which is cool. I did like probably everyone else did, go straight to the specs and look for AS3X.
Ahaha i did look to see if it had it, but i'll fly it in the same wind that i fly my 7oz 32'' profile foamy in. I'd probably not do A LOT of 3d with it. I love 3d but i'll probably just get it to mob around the front yard.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post

That's what I looked for first too, and when I didn't find it, I went straight to the phone and reserved one when the first batch comes in at the lhs. After the CC I swore I'd never buy another as3x plane unless you could switch it on and off easily (as in not by hooking it to the computer). I buckled when the new Sbach came out and did it anyway, but now realize I could have been just as happy if I just had my Sbach V1. I still don't like to fly in 15-20 mph winds and the few things it makes me look better at could probably be fixed by me learning how to be a better pilot. I'm still convinced that the as3x occasionally does things on it's own that I didn't tell it to, didn't want it to, and should not have been done whether I told it to or it decided to.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:08 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,315 Posts
I don't know man. I fly my bigger planes to get better, not giant planes but not micros. I fly micro planes(i know this one isn't micro but it is small) and park flyers for a quick flying session and more to have fun than practice so i like that AS3X takes some of the pilot load off. It really doesn't fly the plane for you. This plane has enough weight that it should be fine without it though. Fighting the wind isn't going to teach you how to fly better, being able to fly in the wind(thus giving you more time to fly)and actually do things with the plane besides try and keep it flying straight will make you better. I learned how to do inverted harriers, basic KE flight, and even KE loops with the B3D. I would not have been bold enough to try that stuff without the AS3X helping out. It felt like my bigger planes feel, not like it's flying it for me.

Either way i think this plane is big enough and heavy enough not to NEED it, but it is definitely something that is cool. It really takes away a lot of the twitchiness that comes with super small planes
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:03 AM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
I don't know man. I fly my bigger planes to get better, not giant planes but not micros. I fly micro planes(i know this one isn't micro but it is small) and park flyers for a quick flying session and more to have fun than practice so i like that AS3X takes some of the pilot load off. It really doesn't fly the plane for you. This plane has enough weight that it should be fine without it though. Fighting the wind isn't going to teach you how to fly better, being able to fly in the wind(thus giving you more time to fly)and actually do things with the plane besides try and keep it flying straight will make you better. I learned how to do inverted harriers, basic KE flight, and even KE loops with the B3D. I would not have been bold enough to try that stuff without the AS3X helping out. It felt like my bigger planes feel, not like it's flying it for me.

Either way i think this plane is big enough and heavy enough not to NEED it, but it is definitely something that is cool. It really takes away a lot of the twitchiness that comes with super small planes
Well said, I have both the V1 and V2 beasts and when the wind comes up I put the V1 Beast away. There is no way fighting wind will make you a better pilot, makes you better at making corrections, but that is not what flying is about. Anyone can go out and attempt to keep a plane in the air while the wind is blowing it around, but that is the direct opposite of what flying is supposed to be about, which is CONTROLLING the plane and making it do exactly what YOU want it to do with as little corrections as possible. Reacting to wind is not helpful in learning to fly.

It's an intriguing plane for sure but having both the beast and Sbach already I can't justify the cost. In calm winds I'm sure it would be fun, but around these parts the wind is up but 9AM and continues till dark, I'm not that much of an early bird.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:38 AM
7.62x51
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
699 Posts
I too have both UMX Beasts. I prefer V1 over V2. AS3X is nice and it does work. I just wish we could turn it off and on. I will definitely get this plane. I still throw my UMX Extra 300 3D around and that thing gets blown around by a mouse fart. I'm sure this one will be 10 times better with the wind.

Besides, the Edge 540 is a razorback. What's not to like there?!
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable