HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:41 AM
Peoria, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
1,054 Posts
Enzo, all;
I'm currently working on my Alpina again, big delay due to move to N. Calif. Just wondering what the difference is in the 'magic' and the first version of Alpina is. Mine is the early model with blade joiners and Ritz 2 foil.

In regards to adding flaps to this airfoil, I believe the Ritz 2 will not respond efficiently to conventional flap arrangement. Probably best to leave this idea behind (IMO).
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:00 AM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole View Post
Enzo, all;
Just wondering what the difference is in the 'magic' and the first version of Alpina is. Mine is the early model with blade joiners and Ritz 2 foil.
Magic has wingtip extensions & the fuselage / fin is a slightly different shape to the original Alpina - otherwise, pretty much the same thing!

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:06 AM
Joined Nov 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Enzo, all;
I'm currently working on my Alpina again, big delay due to move to N. Calif. Just wondering what the difference is in the 'magic' and the first version of Alpina is. Mine is the early model with blade joiners and Ritz 2 foil.

In regards to adding flaps to this airfoil, I believe the Ritz 2 will not respond efficiently to conventional flap arrangement. Probably best to leave this idea behind (IMO).
The magic also has Ritz Mod airfoil and balde joiners... I don't know which can be the differences..sorry.

I agree with you about flaps. Considering also that I will not glass the wings, I will elave them as is.
ing.enzo is offline Find More Posts by ing.enzo
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:09 AM
Joined Nov 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil.Taylor View Post
Magic has wingtip extensions .......Phil.
and what about this wingtips extension: are they useful? I'm wondering to three different options:
1- leave them in box and never use them: due the fact I believe they will not change anything ( or at least in a evident way)
2 - install them definitively ( resin them on the wings)
3- follow instruction and keep them removable ( useful for car transportation)

we will see
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:11 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,896 Posts
wing extentions

My take on this subject is as that the tips transform the Alpina from a "sports" glider into a thermal glider. The tips lower the wing loading of the plane to a surprising degree considering how small they look. Once they are on, however, you can forget about performing any aerobatics other than loops: rolls become particularly hard.

So, the choice is down to the conditions you normally, or want to, fly in. I have another thermal soarer with electric assist that I use when consitions are very light, so I rarely use the Alpina tips. Before I had that other plane, I used them quite a lot....

Hth.

Chris
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:37 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
I always fly with the tips on with my MPX DG600, they're not particularly big. They are fitted with turbulators as suggested in the instructions.

Looks better with them on!!
Gary Binnie is online now Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:10 AM
Peoria, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
1,054 Posts
Thanks for the information about Alpina differences. I too am planning to cover mine with film. The tip extensions are neat! Gives me some ideas since I've not started on my wings yet.
I was intending to rig wing controls per plan, servos in fuselage, but now considering in-wing servos. Newer technology makes sense...

John
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:17 AM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the information about Alpina differences. I too am planning to cover mine with film. The tip extensions are neat! Gives me some ideas since I've not started on them yet.
I was intending to rig wing controls per plan, servos in fuselage, but now considering in-wing servos. Newer technology makes sense...

John
I'm quite sure that if small servos were commonly available when the Alpina was new, Multiplex wouldn't have gone near all that bowden-cable based malarkey!

Every time you just slide the wings on and the plugs automatically connect (?!) you'll be glad you aren't kneeling down peering into the fuz, waving a screwdriver about trying to connecting ailerons AND airbrakes....

Do post pics
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Nov 2011
44 Posts
HI everybody..build is going on.

Now I was at the step to prepare servo location in the wings. I tried to make some holes to find out where is the bowden of the spolier..no way to find it out.

I want to stay at least 20cm far from wing root, in order not to make this zone too weak. But at this point I`m not finding the bowden...strange routing ( spoiler is in the middle of the wing, pull rod goes out at the leading edge: I tried to follow a straight line and a normal curved one unsuccesfully )
Anybody has an idea of where it is located exactly ( before I have to cut the wing into two pieces )
thank you!
Last edited by ing.enzo; Nov 04, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Nov 2011
44 Posts
In the mean time I share with you some pics of what I`m doing:

- Aileron cut, sand.ready to be covered ( waiting to finish servo modification in the wings)
- Elevator and rudder sand and ready to be covered, the installed
- Wing tips ready to be sand , brass tube joiner installed and glued
- Bellcrank homemade ( as per your suggestion)

to be continued
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined Nov 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ing.enzo View Post
H...
Anybody has an idea of where it is located exactly ( before I have to cut the wing into two pieces )
thank you!
Found it: 22.5 cm from wing root and 5 cm from leading edge on RH wing.
In the LH one the routing is different: is a couple of cm more far from the LE.

In case that may be useful for somebody else

Bye
enzo
Last edited by ing.enzo; Nov 05, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Nov 2011
44 Posts
New pics

Some progress:
- wing extension finished
- Anti compression rod (rear one intalled in the fuselage)

Now I`m wondering about wing joiner blades in the fuselage: I would like to have wings levelled as good as possible ..but it is not so much clear to me how to proceed..
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:08 PM
Peoria, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
1,054 Posts
Enzo, it looks great! The tip extensions are larger than I had imagined. I believe dihedral is variable with the blade system. Set desired angle, then unit is bonded into fuselage. Most importantly, align blade box with stabilizer.

John
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Feb 2006
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ing.enzo View Post
Some progress:
- wing extension finished
- Anti compression rod (rear one intalled in the fuselage)

Now I`m wondering about wing joiner blades in the fuselage: I would like to have wings levelled as good as possible ..but it is not so much clear to me how to proceed..
The Multiplex instructions, from the manual, are quite clear on how to get the wings lined up. REally, it is quite simple. If you have any problems, let me know and I will attempt to find my manual and scan the necessary bits and forward.

Good luck. It will be worth it!

Cheers,

Christopher
doddlepots is offline Find More Posts by doddlepots
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:24 AM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doddlepots View Post
The Multiplex instructions, from the manual, are quite clear on how to get the wings lined up. REally, it is quite simple. If you have any problems, let me know and I will attempt to find my manual and scan the necessary bits and forward.

Good luck. It will be worth it!

Cheers,

Christopher
Alpina Magic instruction manual still available to download from the Multiplex website - here:
http://www.multiplex-rc.de/en/servic...push&docID=580

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor