Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:41 AM
Joined Nov 2011
44 Posts
Hello Phil, thanks for your feedback.
Do you have any particular suggestion /reccomendation about wing servo installation?

Tks
enzo
ing.enzo is offline Find More Posts by ing.enzo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:50 AM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ing.enzo View Post
Hello Phil, thanks for your feedback.
Do you have any particular suggestion /reccomendation about wing servo installation?

Tks
enzo
The aileron servos fitted into the place where the aileron bellcranks used to be - I dug out some of the foam core to make space, then added a plywood plate to strengthen the wing skin, then epoxied the servos to that plate. Some photos here:
http://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/topic/...120#entry82778

The spoiler servos are fitted in the wing root - thats where the previous owner had fitted them when new.

The only tricky part is getting the servo wires through the wing - what you do is:
- first find the cable outer tubes in the wing, leading to the old aileron bellcranks (these tubes will be removed)
- push / pull to release these tubes (just a bit)
- tape the servo wire extension onto the end of the tube, then pull the whole tube through with wire attached!
(hope that makes sense)

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is online now Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Sep 2012
62 Posts
I'd love a set of Alpina Magic wings if anyone in the UK has them...
mark_snipz is offline Find More Posts by mark_snipz
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:28 PM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,311 Posts
Hey, I'd like a fuselage! We're all after something...

Seriously, if you need cores cutting, PM me.
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:19 AM
Joined Nov 2011
44 Posts
Got iT!

Oh yeahhh

Got it..now the bog box is at home ..
so first impressions:
- the elevator bellcrack is made on black plastic and it moves a lot. It doesn't provide to me a sufficient level of safety. I will replace it with one home made as suggested by some of you.
- bowden: the section is so little ( or at least appear to me). Need maybe to be replaced with something stronger (I'm worried they can bend under workload)...or put eleveator servo back on the vertical stabilizer ..mhhhhh
- wings: I would like to keep them as lighter as possible, on the other hand I'm used to cover with at least one laywe of glass fiber....I have to decide how to proceeed..leave as is or add some fiber or to be structural more reinforced??
-extended winglet: I think it is along job to arrange isntallation/removal on the wings that will lead not big advantage... I think I will close the wings and will not install the two winglets
-fuselage: is very nice: no big job to perform...I'm only thinking about to put an brushless engine on the nose in order to be able to fly during this winter ...

Ok ..a lot of ideas ..we will see...in the mean time I start to do something

bye
enzo
Last edited by ing.enzo; Oct 29, 2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:50 AM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,870 Posts
Bravo Enzo.
J
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:42 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,894 Posts
The bowden cables are fine, no need to replace.

PLEEEAASE don't cut the nose off such a rare and beautiful fuselage !!

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:23 AM
Joined Nov 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
The bowden cables are fine, no need to replace.

PLEEEAASE don't cut the nose off such a rare and beautiful fuselage !!

Chris
ehmm actually the alpina has a so pretty fuselage... but I am tempted to use it near home ( flat land) quite far from slope..

by the way yeasterday I started to sand elevators,rudder and wings leading edges and ailerons. These wings are so flexible Maybe it's juat me that I'm used with glass carbon and kevlar reinforced wings ..
here seems that also main spar is missing... but I woul like to keep them as light as possible..but I repeat: it seems to be that they will close in air at first looping ...
Last edited by ing.enzo; Oct 30, 2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:12 AM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ing.enzo View Post
ehmm actually the alpina has a so pretty fuselage... but I am tempted to use it near home ( flat land) quite far from slope..

by the way yeasterday I started to sand elevators,rudder and wings leading edges and ailerons. These wings are so flexible Maybe it's juat me that I'm used with glass carbon and kevlar reinforced wings ..
here seems that also main spar is missing... but I woul like to keep them as light as possible..but I repeat: it seems to be that they will close in air at first looping ...
Some FG may not hurt.
Given the age of the Magic design,it's likely that a spar was not incorporated. Prolly a simple veneer over foam construction (the extensions are built up IIRC). I'm sure the joiner area has reinforcement though.
May the experts espouse the truth and dispel any myths.
Enzo,did you get a manual with the kit?
Skies
Jay.
P.S. I gotta agree,cutting the nose off a classic!?
Also,the added weight of the powertrain might be an issue with old wing technology.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:19 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,894 Posts
The wings in the Alpina Magic in my video above are just covered with Profilm (or possibly vinyl, which is what Tangent - the factory that made these for Multiplex - has been doing for yonks). No glass. Glass is nice, it adds stiffness and a hard finish, but is very difficult to do properly. I wouldn't try it myself, but if you are experienced in surface glassing, then go for it. Hope your sanding arm is fit .....

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:52 AM
Joined Nov 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBornOne View Post
Some FG may not hurt.
Given the age of the Magic design,it's likely that a spar was not incorporated. Prolly a simple veneer over foam construction (the extensions are built up IIRC). I'm sure the joiner area has reinforcement though.
May the experts espouse the truth and dispel any myths.
Enzo,did you get a manual with the kit?
Skies
Jay.
P.S. I gotta agree,cutting the nose off a classic!?
Also,the added weight of the powertrain might be an issue with old wing technology.
Yeah, from the wing section seems to be just foam +veneer (quite thick: 2mm).
Yes manual was present ( the same available in the Multiplex website). No info about wing reinforcement.
Last edited by ing.enzo; Oct 30, 2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:58 AM
Joined Nov 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
The wings in the Alpina Magic in my video above are just covered with Profilm (or possibly vinyl, which is what Tangent - the factory that made these for Multiplex - has been doing for yonks). No glass. Glass is nice, it adds stiffness and a hard finish, but is very difficult to do properly. I wouldn't try it myself, but if you are experienced in surface glassing, then go for it. Hope your sanding arm is fit .....

Chris
Your feedback Chris cheer me up
I have some white vinyl film: I will over them with it and that's all.
Actually I glass alot of wings and fuselage before, I'm quite used with composite materials, but I agree it is a long job in order to get a good finishig.

If you put glass 27 g/dm is just to have a good substrate for painting. Maybe using 50 g/dm or better 100 g/dm you get some "real" structurale reinforcement but at this point weigth will raise a lot..( and also time to sand them)..

Ok I will leave them as is, just vinyl film cover

Thank you!!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:09 PM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,311 Posts
Please don't chop the nose off your Alpina - I've been looking for an early Alpina fuselage for ages and to see one defaced would be so upsetting...

S

PS anyone (UK based) reading this with a broken Alpina (whole or just fuselage) PM me - there may be a deal to be done!
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
62 Posts
Shed...I've got to find it first! It's hopefully still in storage in a loft somewhere with my ex's parents (along with some other old stuff).
Will PM you and let you know!
mark_snipz is offline Find More Posts by mark_snipz
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:18 AM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_snipz View Post
Shed...I've got to find it first! It's hopefully still in storage in a loft somewhere with my ex's parents (along with some other old stuff).
Will PM you and let you know!
That doesn't sound good at all
J