SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:17 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
The consensus seems to be either the GWS DD or HD 7x3.5,, I'm using the GWS DD 7x3.5 with very good results noticeable improvement in speed, vertical, acceleration, and hovering, and even slow speed,, at least to me.
Do you have to do anything to use the GWS props? Anyone else notice how loud the vibration from the landing gear is in flight?
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:21 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
Think ill try the APC 7x4 ,, and yes they do make a 7x5. On my 300 zero I fly 3S with a 7x6 and a 10amp ESC with no problems whatsoever ,, so I'm thinking a 7x4 on this plane shouldn't be a problem. :-)
What battery and flight times are you getting with your 540?
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:24 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Wrong thread. LOL!
Dang!!! Sorry guys... meant to post this in a thread with some of my local flyers.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:29 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEast View Post
Is your favorite LHS by any chance West Valley Hobbies?
BE,

I checked out WV Hobbies online.
Nice shop??

I was in the Provo/Orem area.
I'm not a big fan of Hobby Town USA shops but love the one on University Pkwy in Orem.
Got to see the EdgeQQ.
Beautiful!

Also just got the FedEx update that my Edge will arrive in the morning.
Day off as well.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:30 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
The apc 7x3.8 slow fly prop pulls 155 watts and 13.9 amps static, too much for me to test fly it. The apc 7x5 on the edge would give you crazy speed, I think the 7x4E is fast enough, you'll definitely notice a big difference over stock or gws 7035dd. The vertical pull is awesome. I think it's the best prop so far, the gws is nice but the apc just gives you hot rod fast passes and still flies great slow. I think I'm going to use a prop adapter and ditch the nose cone. This reduces the weight and allows for more airflow to cool the motor. I did pick up an apc 8x6 slow fly that might work perfect on 2s for slow floaty flying, probably better for smaller parks and front yard flying.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Last edited by slo-fly; Nov 25, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:31 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
The apc 7x3.8 pulls 155 watts static, too much for me to test fly it. The apc 7x5 on the edge would give you crazy speed, I think the 7x4E is fast enough, you'll definitely notice a big difference. The vertical pull is awesome. I think it's the best prop so far, the gws is nice but the apc just gives you hot rod fast passes and still flies great slow. I think I'm going to use a prop adapter and ditch the nose cone. This reduces the weight and allows for more airflow to cool the motor.
Yea - I ditched my spinner as well. Helps with cooling and also CG.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:51 PM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
625 Posts
just did the math on my batteries(zippy compact 25C), i'm using about 043 mah per min,

on a 500 battery, 80% is 9:15.

I set my timer to 7:45 to be safe. I don't like to fly my batteries to 80%
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:01 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Turnerm,

Nice flying! I was concerned that my yard wouldn't be large enough, but from watching your clip, it looks like it is plenty big enough for this bird. So the only big question I have left - how well does it handle higher winds, as compared to the Beast 3D & Sbach 3D?

Joel
Joel, I wondered where you been, I figured you would end up with this plane, I am as soon as I can wanted it for myself for my bday tom. but not going to happen hope before christmas looks like going to be a fun one, your yard should be plenty big enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
BE,

I checked out WV Hobbies online.
Nice shop??

I was in the Provo/Orem area.
I'm not a big fan of Hobby Town USA shops but love the one on University Pkwy in Orem.
Got to see the EdgeQQ.
Beautiful!

Also just got the FedEx update that my Edge will arrive in the morning.
Day off as well.

rc
Wondered what happened to you, i seen you post in this thread early on.

guys any flight over 4-5 minutes is insane to me lol
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead93 View Post
Do you have to do anything to use the GWS props? Anyone else notice how loud the vibration from the landing gear is in flight?
On the 7x3.5 you need to either sand down the hub so there is enough threads to get nut on or someone here turned the nut backwards where the hex fit in the hex of the prop, but this way you have to come up with a way to hold the motor to tighten the prop. And if you want to keep the spinner, you have to open it out a bit. The sanding down the hub and opening out the spinner is easy though. I prefer to just sand off the front end of the hub so I feel more sure the back surface is still true for the prop to seat back against.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:10 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Plane is very fun to fly! Can't tell what I like better between the S-Bach and the Edge!
S-Bach is better at flying clean lines and overal smoother where the Edge is all crazy with tight tumbles/waterfall! Both are very fun to fly!!
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:20 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod155 View Post
just did the math on my batteries(zippy compact 25C), i'm using about 043 mah per min,

on a 500 battery, 80% is 9:15.

I set my timer to 7:45 to be safe. I don't like to fly my batteries to 80%
Awesome...
So 9:15 burning 400mah = 2.6amps
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
The apc 7x3.8 slow fly prop pulls 155 watts and 13.9 amps static, too much for me to test fly it. The apc 7x5 on the edge would give you crazy speed, I think the 7x4E is fast enough, you'll definitely notice a big difference over stock or gws 7035dd. The vertical pull is awesome. I think it's the best prop so far, the gws is nice but the apc just gives you hot rod fast passes and still flies great slow. I think I'm going to use a prop adapter and ditch the nose cone. This reduces the weight and allows for more airflow to cool the motor. I did pick up an apc 8x6 slow fly that might work perfect on 2s for slow floaty flying, probably better for smaller parks and front yard flying.
Awesome, you all are giving me some great info to work with
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:04 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
tail wheel replacement

I too am thinking of changing to larger wheel.
I was considereing the UMX front landing wheels (beast, sbach, etc)
This is size I am looking at--but that hub is too wide--So I am currently figuring out how to
remove 2mm on each side of the hub--then I think it will fit.

3s 850, 800mah ?
this working out okay for pilots?, 3d not great, but okay for windy sport?
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Nov 2011
3,344 Posts
Think I may pick up a DX8 for the inflight Telemetry for this baby!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:09 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Think I may pick up a DX8 for the inflight Telemetry for this baby!
That's a good idea,I might steal that from you!

I'm a Hitech guy, so I haven't been able to partake in the mini revolution, I did own a first generation SU, and a Foursite but at the time Unlimited 3-D potential wasn't there. I sold the radio with them.

After seeing horizons Edge 540 flight video on YouTube, I'm sold! I'll be getting one. It's also a good excuse to invest in another radio.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Nov 26, 2012 at 09:27 AM.