HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:39 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,866 Posts
I was thinking of getting rid of the pilot and replacing him with something else
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:50 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlrDALLAS View Post
i tend to disagree , im a sport flyer not to much into 3d , the yak is one of my favorite planes , flys great has, great power , but like i said im not a 3d guy
Good point and I should have qualified my comments. For a sport plane it's probably fantastic. Like I said, I LOVED the crazy fast roll rate and it was certainly a speed demon.

I just didn't like it very much for 3D that's all.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:52 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Wow - what a turnaround plane for me. After my initial struggles and frustrations with the plane (some of them my own and some of them because of the plane) I'm really falling in love with this little thing.

I just took it out for a quick spin around my cul-de-sac and wow... buttery smooth and rock solid in post stall maneuvers. It's nearly everything I'd hoped it would be. I love how super floaty it is! My only minor complaint right now is I wish it had better vertical but that can be solved I'm sure...
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,000 Posts
Just in from some flyin. Too cold 35F, but only 8-10mph breeze and just couldn't resist. The more I fly this thing, the more I want to fly it. Why didn't HH come out with this thing a year or so ago. They might have saved me a bit of money. Maybe if I was a 3d flyer, I might not be so impressed, but this thing is so much more than the UMX planes that there is no comparison. Flew my Sbach 3D a couple of times, but then just put it back in the box. Not sure it has a reason for being now. Maybe in the yard, but it's too fast for my yard and my reflexes. The Edge will fly way slower than the Sbach ever thought of and still do aerobatic maneuvers at speeds the sbach falls out of the air at. And I don't believe there is much if any difference in top speed with the stock Sbach. Also introduced it to some of the guys that I fly with that had not seen one yet. They all seemed to be more than impressed with its abilities. Now I am anxious for them to get theirs so I can see first hand what it can do with good pilots at the sticks.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:00 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Why wouldn't we want a pilot in the plane Not being smart but I'm confused why you hope they don't put a pilot in the next plane. It's one of the reasons I bought the plane I've never seen a real life plane fly without one
Love "Matt "or hate him - in my opinion this pilot looks like a kids toy- not scale, no face and only with car-racing helmet.
Now the Edge looks much better (my opinion)
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:03 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,617 Posts
Turnerm,
Change the prop and it changes the vertical and overall performance. I was about to list mine in the classifieds until I found the right prop for it. It's going nowhere now!!! At least not for awhile

Bobly,
It's a fantastic 3D plane. It can do everything and flies very close to my balsa planes but at fraction of the size and cost. I fly them back to back and I'm not sure I can really tell the difference other than the size.
FlyWW1 is online now Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
Love "Matt "or hate him - in my opinion this pilot looks like a kids toy- not scale, no face and only with car-racing helmet.
Now the Edge looks much better (my opinion)
Fair enough But what are you going to do about the toy like landing gear I don't love Matt by the way. I think they could have done a much better job with mold and cosmetics of him. However I like the full faced helmet and hate the real 3/4 style helmet with the face showing. I think it looks like we are still in the 70's.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:22 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,461 Posts
Quote:
Bobly,
It's a fantastic 3D plane. It can do everything and flies very close to my balsa planes but at fraction of the size and cost. I fly them back to back and I'm not sure I can really tell the difference other than the size.
Which balsa? I love my Slick 51! If it flew anything like that I'd be all over it. That thing is a perfect, vice-less airplane.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Which balsa? I love my Slick 51! If it flew anything like that I'd be all over it. That thing is a perfect, vice-less airplane.
I have a PA 260, PA AMR, PA Addiction and 3DHS 48" Edge. If your looking for something this small you'll love it after a prop change!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:38 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
If it fly anything like my last 42" aj slick or my old mini edge 540 i will love it both snaproll and tumble crazy
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:52 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
This plane seems to fly very similarly to the 3DHS 48" Edge. It seems to feel like something between the 3s and 4s setups on that plane. I love it!

It doesn't fly like a Slick because its tumbles aren't near as wild and its flat spins aren't as... slick.

But I love it and can't wait to see what else they might do in this size.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:53 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
I have a PA 260, PA AMR, PA Addiction and 3DHS 48" Edge. If your looking for something this small you'll love it after a prop change!
Which prop? I'm already using a GWS 7035.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Which prop? I'm already using a GWS 7035.
Sorry didn't know you changed props. I haven't used that one yet. I started using this one today and love it. The thrust is ridiculous! Speed is more that enough too. See post 1307. I was really about to list this tonight due to my frustration with the prop and now it's not going anywhere.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPAB6&P=OW
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:03 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Anybody else need a ton of rudder to elevator mix? Mine pulls really hard to the gear/belly no matter where the CG is.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:05 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Sorry didn't know you changed props. I haven't used that one yet. I started using this one today and love it. The thrust is ridiculous! Speed is more that enough too. See post 1307. I was really about to list this tonight due to my frustration with the prop and now it's not going anywhere.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPAB6&P=OW
I couldn't get the link to work. Still using the stock ESC?