HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:30 PM
United States, WV, Montcalm
Joined Sep 2007
31 Posts
Looks like my Edge will be here tuesday! Can't wait!
plcline67 is offline Find More Posts by plcline67
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:06 PM
This ain't my first rodeo...
United States, WA, Orting
Joined Jan 2010
1,372 Posts
Got mine today and snuck in 2 fights before I caught a crosswind on landing. Let's just say I'm less than thrilled with it's durability... Out of the box the stabs were misaligned but somehow it still flew just fine. The retaining "pins" that slide into the wings and receive the screw did not fit in without some cleaning up of the receiver holes. A little better QC and a little less glue could have saved me a little frustration in the long run.

Besides the initial buy-in, I'll be in it another $45 in parts. For what they charged they could have used their Z-foam instead of the styrofoam crap that compresses and crumbles... Did it fly nice, sure. Like others posted the recommended battery (even pushed all the way back) gave the plane a nose heavy feel. Balance was spot on, but just felt heavy. Perhaps when I get some replacements parts I'll try a 3s 350 and 3s 370 I have around from my crack yaks. But for now, I'll be gritting my teeth in anticipation of my spares...
SupaTim is offline Find More Posts by SupaTim
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:24 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaTim View Post
Got mine today and snuck in 2 fights before I caught a crosswind on landing. Let's just say I'm less than thrilled with it's durability... Out of the box the stabs were misaligned but somehow it still flew just fine. The retaining "pins" that slide into the wings and receive the screw did not fit in without some cleaning up of the receiver holes. A little better QC and a little less glue could have saved me a little frustration in the long run.

Besides the initial buy-in, I'll be in it another $45 in parts. For what they charged they could have used their Z-foam instead of the styrofoam crap that compresses and crumbles... Did it fly nice, sure. Like others posted the recommended battery (even pushed all the way back) gave the plane a nose heavy feel. Balance was spot on, but just felt heavy. Perhaps when I get some replacements parts I'll try a 3s 350 and 3s 370 I have around from my crack yaks. But for now, I'll be gritting my teeth in anticipation of my spares...
What did you break ?
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:43 PM
This ain't my first rodeo...
United States, WA, Orting
Joined Jan 2010
1,372 Posts
Clipped a stab that started a minor cartwheel. Beside the stab that had torn off, the left aileron had splintered off an inch that turned into cheapy styrofoam snow pebbles. Spinner and prop, as well as a chewed up cowl.
SupaTim is offline Find More Posts by SupaTim
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:38 AM
what ?!
France, Midi-Pyrénées, Tarbes
Joined Nov 2011
123 Posts
Speaking about props for this Edge.. I have this one.. Do this it will work with stock ESC ..? It's a 7x4 and weights 5,6 grs...
Guiltz is offline Find More Posts by Guiltz
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:11 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltz View Post
Speaking about props for this Edge.. I have this one.. Do this it will work with stock ESC ..? It's a 7x4 and weights 5,6 grs...
Probably have to put a 12amp in I bet that prop will make it fly real nice though!
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:13 AM
what ?!
France, Midi-Pyrénées, Tarbes
Joined Nov 2011
123 Posts
Ok, thanks... I'll look through the spare ESC's I may have in my spare box..!! :-)
Guiltz is offline Find More Posts by Guiltz
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:45 AM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
895 Posts
Maiden

..maidened mine in foggy weather conditions but first of all I have to say:
AWESOME !!! this plane goes like hell !
Horizontal speed is enough and could be slower, vertical is not enough- also it sounds that the stock prop can't handle over 70% power (weak stock prop)- I need a GWS 7x3,5 HD which is already ordered.
I did two short flights with a 500mAh lipo (52g) and TX setup with full 100% throws but Expo values Aile60%,Elev40%,Rudder25% with my DX8.
Feels good in the air but I have to adjust my setting the next flights.
-
Very nice and awesome plane-I hope HH will improve the QC and find better foam and comes with some new planes in this dimensions next- AS3X would be great here too but not a "must have".
I'm happy
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:02 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
212 Posts
What i would like to see next is a beast 3d in this scale! Well doesn't need to be a beast, any kind of pitts bipe with a nice colour scheme.
That would make my day.
Anyone else with me on this one?
Cheers
mygeneration is offline Find More Posts by mygeneration
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:13 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
706 Posts
Started building my Edge 540 "travel container". It's taking longer than I expected but in the end should be well worth it. The foam on this plane is so easy to ding and taking it apart to transport just isn't an option for me. The finished box will fit on the back seat of the truck (barely) and should keep the plane protected. I'll post up some pics when I get it finished up.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:30 AM
Enjoying life through flight
Joined Mar 2012
243 Posts
What is the difference between the GWS DD 7x3.5 and GWS 7x3.5 HD?
BigEast is offline Find More Posts by BigEast
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:50 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEast View Post
What is the difference between the GWS DD 7x3.5 and GWS 7x3.5 HD?
Wow, I didn't knew the HD version was coming in such small size.

DD stand for Direct Drive
HD stand for Hyper Drive

HD are designed to be spinned a lot faster. They are a bit like the APC or Graupner. Very thick and rigid propellers near the center, with a sligtly different tip than the DD, allowing for highter tip speed.

Since the 540QQ has a 1800Kv motor, the DD is perfectly fine unless you want to run it on 6S
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:57 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygeneration View Post
What i would like to see next is a beast 3d in this scale! Well doesn't need to be a beast, any kind of pitts bipe with a nice colour scheme.
That would make my day.
Anyone else with me on this one?
Cheers
That would be killer but e flite doesnt have a good rep for bipes there last one i know about had mayjor wing failure it was a balsa one however. I like smaller planes since selling my gas hog suv n buying a mustang that wont hardly fit anything my 42" aj slick barley would fit a bipe that size no way
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:20 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
I agree that the prop and the foam are the weakest aspects of this plane. I can fix the prop issue but not the foam. The foam appears to be WAY too soft.

By the way I swung by my LHS and picked up another 2mm prop adapter. It goes on with a set screw so I hope it holds.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
That would be killer but e flite doesnt have a good rep for bipes there last one i know about had mayjor wing failure it was a balsa one however. I like smaller planes since selling my gas hog suv n buying a mustang that wont hardly fit anything my 42" aj slick barley would fit a bipe that size no way
Should've bought a Prius as long as getting rid of a "gas hog" drove your car change. That, and I can fit my fully assembled Slick 51 in the back.

I know, I know... Prius... Mustang... tough choice. So... did you get the new 660hp Mustang? Hmmmm?
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq