to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:46 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdExtraZ View Post
I am curious as well. I have the GWS DD-7035 (7x3.5) en route now. This is only a .200" in diameter increase over stock. Have they really made a plane already maxed out on the ESC?
The 9.9 amps was a static test on a full hyperion 450mah 25c 3s. It will pull less in the air. The gws 7x3.5 pulls less watts and amps than stock prop.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:46 PM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
706 Posts
Picked up an Edge today. The LHS was having a Black Friday sale, 15% off all planes so I couldn't resist. Bought a B3D too! Put it together and everything looks perfect. Only problem I saw was the little green tab on the rear edge of the battery hatch was attached to the fuse instead of hatch. Popped it off and CA'd it in the correct spot on the hatch. Could be wrong but I doubt it would have stayed in place. Luckily I saw how it was supposed to be on the LHS owner's Edge so I caught it on mine. Still waiting on batts from HK but did get to maiden the B3D today. Hopefully the Edge will get her maiden soon!
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:00 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Guess I will pick up the 7x3.5 just hate the flextastic GWS props.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:10 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdExtraZ View Post
I am curious as well. I have the GWS DD-7035 (7x3.5) en route now. This is only a .200" in diameter increase over stock. Have they really made a plane already maxed out on the ESC?
Slo-fly posted the amp reading for the 7x3.5 at 8.9 amps, 1 amp less than the stock prop under static conditions. The 7x3.5 should be great.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsheeMS View Post
Picked up an Edge today. The LHS was having a Black Friday sale, 15% off all planes so I couldn't resist. Bought a B3D too! Put it together and everything looks perfect. Only problem I saw was the little green tab on the rear edge of the battery hatch was attached to the fuse instead of hatch. Popped it off and CA'd it in the correct spot on the hatch. Could be wrong but I doubt it would have stayed in place. Luckily I saw how it was supposed to be on the LHS owner's Edge so I caught it on mine. Still waiting on batts from HK but did get to maiden the B3D today. Hopefully the Edge will get her maiden soon!
There are two green plates, one on the hatch and one on the fuse. The one on the fuse has holes in it and the one on the hatch has pins sticking out to fit the holes in the other.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:13 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Seems like a 7x4 GWS would be good to try on the stock ESC. That way you get the additional thrust and speed. Everyday I fly this it feels slower and slower. I need more speed!
FlyWW1 is online now Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:21 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
Here's what I think about the props and all the testing I've done. The stock prop weighs 2.9g and pulls a max of 112 watts and 9.9 amps static. The gws 7x3.5 weighs 3.0g and pulls a max of 102 watts and 8.9 amps. The apc 7x4E weighs 8.4g and you'll need an adapter (mine weighed 5.4g) and pulls a max of 133 watts and 11.7 amps static. I think the apc will work on a stock edge with throttle management. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the gws might be more ideal (possibly most efficient) if you calculate overall thrust for least amount of amp draw. I like the gws because it's almost same weight as stock, it should put out more speed and or thrust given the blade size is larger than stock. The apc sucks more power and that is gonna heat things up. The gws should provide the lowest temps and longer run time so that's why it gets my vote for now.
Your vote about the GWS 7x3.5 prop EXACTLY mirrors my experience using it on 12 flights. It Definatly has more power and speed, and the ESC BARELY gets warm. Good thing they come in sets of six. :-) if you don't Wana turn prop nut around backwards ( I didn't ) its easy to sand down a couple MM on the hub to make it fit stock prop adapter , and not much work to cut or sand away a liitle of spinner openings for the slightly bigger GWS prop shoulder. I'm happy with the way plane flys now,, verticals and speed better, hovering better, and slow speed better
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:28 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Well crap. I just can't get a break with this little plane. I got some 7035 GWS props and some stock batteries (plus a Thunder Power) and had a terrific first two flights. Finally, the plane was flying like I knew it should... Hovers at half stick, blenders, KE spins, rollers... Just having a good ol time. Third flight, whipped out the video camera, take off into a KE and off flies my prop! DOH!! Couldn't find it. The prop adapter and all was lost (I left the spinner off).

So I'll get a new prop adapter and get that thing on there securely and continue wringing it out. I'm just glad that I had fun with the plane. This is an easy fix.

I can tell this is going to be fun and I'm glad I stuck with it... But if it hasn't have been for some good videos in would've written this plane off.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:39 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Sounds like getting prop mounted with adapter on the motor would not be a problem as you would not have to tighten it super tight as it will do that on its own, but I can see what you mean with the nut in the prop especially as far as getting it off. They just didn't give us any room to grab the motor or prop shaft or adapter with anything did they? I may have a look at shaving some thickness off my gws props.
You don't have to shave off very much to get stock adapter to fit,, that's what I did on mine,, real easy. And the GWS is a noticble improvement over stock in performance in ALL aspects ,, and its more effecient both by my experience of cooler running ESC and SLO-flys testings,, thanks SLOFLY!!!
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
You don't have to shave off very much to get stock adapter to fit,, that's what I did on mine,, real easy. And the GWS is a noticble improvement over stock in performance in ALL aspects ,, and its more effecient both by my experience of cooler running ESC and SLO-flys testings,, thanks SLOFLY!!!
I've already sanded down the front of the hub on one of my 7x3.5's in readiness for when I break the stock one. Thanks for the input, I was hoping that it didn't take much to get it to work. It was super easy to do, didn't take a couple of minutes. I just cut the front of the hub back to where it's about even with or slightly behind the front of the blades. Will that be enough? Turnerm's recent experience is reason enough to not go taking that adapter on and off for sure. Those little bitty set screws are a pain and not very durable.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:46 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Seems like a 7x4 GWS would be good to try on the stock ESC. That way you get the additional thrust and speed. Everyday I fly this it feels slower and slower. I need more speed!
Are you flying it with stock prop?? I had quite a few flights on mine with stock prop before it finally broke with a minor prop strike on a landing. After a few flights with stock prop I noticed it seemed to be going slower and slower,, I thought it was my perception,, but then I noticed it seemed to be getting more and more warped the more I flew it. But once I put that GWS 7x3.5 prop on, speed and vertical AND acceleration were more what I had expected in the first place. I'll never go back to the flimsy stock prop
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:50 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I've already sanded down the front of the hub on one of my 7x3.5's in readiness for when I break the stock one. Thanks for the input, I was hoping that it didn't take much to get it to work. It was super easy to do, didn't take a couple of minutes. I just cut the front of the hub back to where it's about even with or slightly behind the front of the blades. Will that be enough? Turnerm's recent experience is reason enough to not go taking that adapter on and off for sure. Those little bitty set screws are a pain and not very durable.
That should do it. On mine I took off hub on both sides to almost to the blades,, it fit easily,, and like you said, it was very easy and quick to do
And as far as stock prop goes,, I think its when it will break instead of if. :-)
Plus the GWS will give you better performance with better effeciency. When I first tried the GWS I didn't
Know it was more effecient,,, but I DID notice my ESC NOT getting hot anymore.
If you look at the tips on GWS blades they're more pointy ,, so I'm guessing less tip drag, and in Theroy at least maybe slightly more rpms AND less amp draw,, the plane sure seems to fly that way with this GWS prop
Maybe somebody here who has an optical tach and a wattmeter can measure Difference In BOTH amp draw AND rpms between stock prop AND GWS 7x3.5. :-)
Last edited by Airman74; Nov 23, 2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Addition
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:57 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Well crap. I just can't get a break with this little plane. I got some 7035 GWS props and some stock batteries (plus a Thunder Power) and had a terrific first two flights. Finally, the plane was flying like I knew it should... Hovers at half stick, blenders, KE spins, rollers... Just having a good ol time. Third flight, whipped out the video camera, take off into a KE and off flies my prop! DOH!! Couldn't find it. The prop adapter and all was lost (I left the spinner off).

So I'll get a new prop adapter and get that thing on there securely and continue wringing it out. I'm just glad that I had fun with the plane. This is an easy fix.

I can tell this is going to be fun and I'm glad I stuck with it... But if it hasn't have been for some good videos in would've written this plane off.
Good to hear you got it going. What did you think of the thunder power lipo? Try a tiny dab of blue loctite on the motor shaft before installing prop adapter.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:03 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
Are you flying it with stock prop?? I had quite a few flights on mine with stock prop before it finally broke with a minor prop strike on a landing. After a few flights with stock prop I noticed it seemed to be going slower and slower,, I thought it was my perception,, but then I noticed it seemed to be getting more and more warped the more I flew it. But once I put that GWS 7x3.5 prop on, speed and vertical AND acceleration were more what I had expected in the first place. I'll never go back to the flimsy stock prop
Yes still stock I'm still waiting on mine props to be delivered. I've been stopping at every hobby shop on my Thanksgiving travels trying to find a prop. No luck! You guys must be buying all of them up. LOL! My stock prop still looks okay but I have no doubt it's the reason. HH should refund us all at least $10 for this piece of crap and our time with R and D.
FlyWW1 is online now Find More Posts by FlyWW1