HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:10 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
OK guys. I had a much better experience this morning. I think this plane is a keeper for me but I've discovered that my old 3s 500's are just completely worn out which is 90% of my issue. However, I think I also discovered another problem that was compounding my performance issues - I think the prop adapter wasn't secured to the prop shaft very well and therefore then prop was probably slipping. In this condition (again, mostly because of my weak batteries) I had virtually no vertical. It took full throttle to even begin to hover and then it wouldn't hold.

I'll post a video soon that ended in a crash because I didn't have enough power to pull out of a blender attempt (the blender didn't really work either because I didn't have enough power to flatten it out). The crash was very minor and in deep grass but my prop came off and even chipped. That stock prop is paper thin and ridiculous. I've never in my life seen a plastic prop break off in thick grass before!!

So... I need a decent prop and some good batteries. Anybody got any leads on both of these items?
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:27 AM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
I really like the thunder power 325mah 3s 65C, in my tests this lipo puts out almost 10 percent more power than the hyperion 450mah 25C, and it's 7 grams lighter at 35.5g. It also has 12c charge rate. I shoved my esc forward and have no problem with c of g, lipo is about an inch back now. I haven't test flown the gws dd7035 prop yet but for price and ease of installment it's probably your best bet.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Last edited by slo-fly; Nov 23, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,720 Posts
Turnerm - really great to hear you have at least had enough better experience to keep you from throwing it in the trash. I know that outside of the cosmetics on mine, I have been really happy with what I am seeing from it flight wise. I have grounded the prop a couple of times on take off, but apparently I have one of the stronger stock ones. I bought a couple of gws 7x3.5's before I got my plane at our lhs, so have them in the bin in case. Sounds like batteries are getting scarce. I bought some nanotech 460's that are working well, but they have to come from international warehouse and don't get here very quick. But with 5c charge rate and 6-7 minute flights and 12-14minute recharges, two or three of these keeps you flying. I also have a couple of zippy 500ma that seem to be about the same as the nano's performance wise. As I am not a 3d flyer I realize I don't expect the performance you guys do, but really hated it that I liked this one so well and saw that someone like you that can fly circles around me were pretty down on it. Figured that I had absolutely no idea what was a good plane and what was a bad plane. Your more positive report on today's trials have brightened my day. Anxiously await the video - really want to see you flying it.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:52 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Turnerm - really great to hear you have at least had enough better experience to keep you from throwing it in the trash. I know that outside of the cosmetics on mine, I have been really happy with what I am seeing from it flight wise. I have grounded the prop a couple of times on take off, but apparently I have one of the stronger stock ones. I bought a couple of gws 7x3.5's before I got my plane at our lhs, so have them in the bin in case. Sounds like batteries are getting scarce. I bought some nanotech 460's that are working well, but they have to come from international warehouse and don't get here very quick. But with 5c charge rate and 6-7 minute flights and 12-14minute recharges, two or three of these keeps you flying. I also have a couple of zippy 500ma that seem to be about the same as the nano's performance wise. As I am not a 3d flyer I realize I don't expect the performance you guys do, but really hated it that I liked this one so well and saw that someone like you that can fly circles around me were pretty down on it. Figured that I had absolutely no idea what was a good plane and what was a bad plane. Your more positive report on today's trials have brightened my day. Anxiously await the video - really want to see you flying it.
The flying isn't much to look at yet because I don't even have enough power to hold a hover! My LHS has a GWS 7x5.3 and some 3s 500's so I'll swing by there later today and get this situation remedied!
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:58 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
any Black Friday sales on this 540 ?
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:08 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Here's the video. As you can see, I finally got decent elevator throw but my batteries just apparently aren't strong enough to even hold a hover or a KE!! The crash at the end was simply because I didn't have enough power to come out of the descent!!

QQ Edge 540 on VERY weak batteries (1 min 50 sec)
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,720 Posts
Just an update on the cosmetics thing. I had originally ordered ahead of time from lhs that always comes through with flying colors, but something is going on between them and HH and they did not get any and aren't happy - neither was I. So I turned around and ordered one from HH last Thursday when they came out. It got here on Monday instead of Fri like it was supposed to, but on Sunday was in the closest big hobby shop to me and they had them in stock with a special 20% off everything in the store. Couldn't resist and bought one for a spare for $135. Anyway, put that one together Sunday and it's the one I have been flying. I suppose in my excitement of unboxing, I didn't actually pay super attention to cosmetics, but noticed as I was about finished putting it together that it had a big dent in a wing and the fingernail marks all over the front of fuse and wing and some spidery looking places on bottom of wing. So I could not swear that it came out of the box like that but I didn't think I had done anything that rough with it, but did have trouble getting aileron leads through fuse and getting the wings to fit in far enough. Today decided to open the box on the one from HH and it is cosmetically perfect. Couldn't find a mark anywhere on it. So any of you with one coming, if you are worried about cosmetics, pay careful attention to condition out of the box and then compare after you get it together just to see if assembly creates some of the cosmetic damage that I and some others have seen. What I thought was manuf fault may not have been that at all, I may have done it.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Here's the video. As you can see, I finally got decent elevator throw but my batteries just apparently aren't strong enough to even hold a hover or a KE!! The crash at the end was simply because I didn't have enough power to come out of the descent!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anqb1...ature=youtu.be
Man, if that's all the power it had, I would have been completely blown away too. And I don't even do 3d. But I saw just enough to see that it seems really solid in harrier and at extremely slow speeds. Great job for what you had to work with. I believe you will be much happier once you get some batteries and a prop that is afirmly fixed to the motor. Guarantee you that although maybe not striking, the power situation is much much better than what you had there.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:18 PM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
212 Posts
hey guys i'm looking at getting a new esc in stock for the 540qq
It's a 25amp with 5v 2a bec and can support 3s or 4s!
Will this be suitable? not good with bec ratings. I've got some gws 7x3.5 props on order , can these be run on 3s AND 4s?
I'm going to go with the stock setup first then WHEN the prop breaks put the 7x3.5 on and later down the line run 2x 2s 350mah lipo's in series.
Cheers
mygeneration is offline Find More Posts by mygeneration
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:27 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,451 Posts
Turnerm: I didn't follow your whole story, but are you sure they didn't simply put the original propeller upside down? It would draw more current and have less power. Looking at your video, this is exactly what an upside-down prop would do.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygeneration View Post
hey guys i'm looking at getting a new esc in stock for the 540qq
It's a 25amp with 5v 2a bec and can support 3s or 4s!
Will this be suitable? not good with bec ratings. I've got some gws 7x3.5 props on order , can these be run on 3s AND 4s?
I'm going to go with the stock setup first then WHEN the prop breaks put the 7x3.5 on and later down the line run 2x 2s 350mah lipo's in series.
Cheers
It's a little large, but that only matters if it weighs more because of it. I got a 2-4S Turnigy 18 amp that weighs 19g. I thought that would be plenty.

I don't think anyone's tried 4S yet. I intend to by strapping 2 of my 130x's GensAce 450mAh 2S batteries together. I can't find a 4S in this size. I'm assuming I'd need roughly a 320mAh 4S battery to get the same watt-hours so I think my 450mAh 4S battery is gonna be a little big, but workable.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:29 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
25Amp is a too big, 12 amp is probably good, 15 amp should be more than enough for 4s. I don't know if the motor will handle it, 7" prop might be too much on 4s, maybe 6" will be better. Hobbywing has a 12 amp esc with bec that I like and it's good for 2,3 or 4s, it's around $12, they also have a 18 amp. Let's say you get 150 watts on a 4s, that would still be less than 10 amps.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Last edited by slo-fly; Nov 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:44 PM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
212 Posts
I'm in the uk and have not found an esc capable of 4s under 25amps yet thats why i was looking at the one i stated.
I realise the motor probably won't last on 4s but that is going to be tried later so i might upgrade the motor then.
Hell i don't even have the plane yet! Hopefully early next week they will be in stock at LHS. I've got lipo's for a plane i don't have yet. Better than having a plane and no lipo's to fly it , that would suck
Cheers guys
mygeneration is offline Find More Posts by mygeneration
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:51 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,720 Posts
if it will fit and doesn't make it weigh to much use it, you can never have to big of a esc, no such thing, its just size and weight to worry about seemed HH put only one barly big enough to get by

Originally Posted by turnerm View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anqb1...ature=youtu.be
wow that thing doesn't have any power.... get some good batterys
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Last edited by epoweredrc; Nov 23, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:58 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,720 Posts
deleted
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc