SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:27 AM
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined Nov 2012
52 Posts
hey guys, new to rcg so forgive me if this post is wrong. I'm in the uk so still waiting for my edge, lhs says about a week to go, I see you're having trouble with stock prop so I just ordered these for spare, anyone ever tried em. gws ep 7035dd. look a good match to me
born2huck is offline Find More Posts by born2huck
Last edited by born2huck; Nov 22, 2012 at 07:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:34 AM
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined Nov 2012
52 Posts
gws ep7035dd Name: Screenshot_2012-11-22-12-prop.png
Views: 118
Size: 163.2 KB
Description:
born2huck is offline Find More Posts by born2huck
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead93 View Post
So what do you guys think that have both the A3SX Sbach and the Edge? I have the Sbach and am trying to decide if I should buy the Edge!
Spent 2-3 hours yesterday and have some comparison thoughts. Disclaimer, I'm just past beginner and no expert for sure. It was slightly breezy, typically running 9-15 mph, quite variable. This was by my hand held and an agricultural weather station just down the road from where we fly that is accessible on the internet. My assessment thus far is that in this level of wind the Edge easily wins. A friend was flying a 43" eflight extra balsa and everybody thought that they could see no difference in the wind effect between the edge and his extra. Can't say it wouldn't bounce every now and then when a gust hit it, but nothing scary. The gusts effects were noticed more frequently on the sbach, but the as3x system would quickly straighten it back out. The edge was more predictable without the effects of the as3x. I don't care to fly in wind much over 15 mph anyway, it just isn't a lot of fun for me. As they say on the commercials, your mileage may vary.

Edit adder: due to my inabilities, rolls are more consistently nose staying point on with the sbach and ke is much easier that's one thing that makes me look better than I am with the as3x sbach for sure. With the edge I can make a roll look like a corkscrew if I'm not careful and takes some fancy thumb action to keep a straight ke which is what I have struggled most with thus far with my edge. Mine wants to pull to the wheels.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:05 AM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Mine wants to pull to the wheels.
Try moving your CG back.
Or add KE (Knife Edge) Coupling.
Rudd-Elev Mix
A mix that is oh 100% rudder to 8% Elevator.
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:10 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,489 Posts
My flight report

I picked up my 540QQ yesterday afternoon just before the sun set. I built the plane up in the LHS with help from a young lady with small hands to help plug the servo wires into the aileron and aux ports rather than the Y cable. I adjusted the elevator servo horn to a more neutral point and then set up the radio for max throws, rates and expo.

I drove to the nearest soccer field just as the sun was setting and tossed the plane into the air with my Nano 460 pushed all the way back in the bay toward the pilot. YES I want 3D tail heavier conditions.

I need a bunch of down trim from what I thought was center. I got it worked out and to the point that inverted and upright flying required almost no stick work to stay level. I then brought it down to the deck and was testing it's inverted high alpha flight characteristics. Just like Seth's indoor video the thing was a rock. It was so stable and easy to fly with no stall tendencies or wing rock. SIMPLE!

The next thing was a blender. I love blenders and this plane was a blur as it converted into smooth inverted flat spin as easy to recover from as my larger 57" 3DHS Extra. I did a few more because it did them so well.

I brought it over close to me into a wall and then hover. This is the easiest scale plane I have ever hovered. Seriously its hovers like a profile foamie. There was a slight breeze blowing it across the field as I hovered it so a little wind wasn't an issue. WOW This is better than I thought!

A bit of easy 4 point roles and pop tops before I started thinking about battery life. Oh ya I forgot to set my timer. I plopped it into the grass from HA slow flight. It rolled upon the gear and nose and then back on its wheels. I checked the wheel covers and they were nice and tight still even after the tall grass grabbed them. I like the look of them and will leave them on.

Pros - This flies better than I ever expected. It made everything I threw at it seem easy. No bad tendencies. It's a floater.

Cons - The foam is really soft. I put a fingernail mark on my battery cover just barely brushing it. Also when pulling the battery cover open don't just pull it straight up as the pins holding it back by the canopy will get stuck and pull the plastic piece off the cover. Pull the pull tab up a bit to release the magnets then pull the whole thing forward for the pins to slide out of the holes. Another thing is finding batteries for this. I think demand for Nano 460's and Gensace went off the charts.

My LHS got 4 in and had 3 sold as soon as they came in. I think this plane is a winner!
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:12 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
I thought pulling to the wheels was caused by cg too far back - maybe that's the problem, I had the battery almost all the way forward to start, then because of my thought process, moved it up against the firewall up under the lip in front. The last three or four flights yesterday I did move it back to where the front of the battery was just even with the front of the hatch. I actually made a couple of better ke's then, but thought I was just getting better at it.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:15 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
Quote:
I thought pulling to the wheels was caused by cg too far back - maybe that's the problem, I had the battery almost all the way forward to start, then because of my thought process, moved it up against the firewall up under the lip in front. The last three or four flights yesterday I did move it back to where the front of the battery was just even with the front of the hatch. I actually made a couple of better ke's then, but thought I was just getting better at it.
Yeah move it back a little more!
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:30 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,673 Posts
Got some good news! This plane can be packed up in the box without disconnecting the wires if you're using the Y harness. I found this out because I couldn't get the connectors apart. LOL! It takes a bit of figuring it out the first time and it's to hard to put into words. However it can be easily done in less than 5mins once you've done it once. The trick to the puzzle is pulling both wings apart from the plane so you can have enough play with the spar. Once you get the spar out it's pretty easy. I smooshed foam in places to make it even easier.
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:44 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
The wings won't come off mine that easily, they are glued in. Just four little tiny beads of hot glue at the joints. My wings would flex toward the tail if you pushed on them and the aileron's were really close to the fuselage so I was afraid they could bind with the air pressure in flight. A little bead top and bottom at front and back of wing stopped that.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Dec 2007
189 Posts
Third hand for binding

A slightly modified clothes pin works well for binding. Trim the ends to square, glue a bit of conductive material to one jaw, and you are ready to bind. No muss, no fuss.

What is the thread of the prop set screws? I want to make it into a prop saver.
tourist_603 is offline Find More Posts by tourist_603
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:31 AM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
I think they were 2.5mm metric screws.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:42 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,824 Posts
Videos where are the videos? Man i want one so bad. It seems i never get a product till its been out a while
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:49 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
I thought pulling to the wheels was caused by cg too far back
You were correct sir. If you are tail heavy you'll need down trim to maintain level flight. Then when you roll the plane on the side the down trim is pulling it toward the gear. If you were nose heavy you'd need some up trim and when you get in KE the plane will pull up to the canopy. If you already have the battery all the way forward add some mixes, moving it back will only make it worse.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:59 AM
United States, MN, Clearwater
Joined Jul 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
Videos where are the videos? Man i want one so bad. It seems i never get a product till its been out a while
+1 Videos, please!!!
RyPlane is offline Find More Posts by RyPlane
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
You were correct sir. If you are tail heavy you'll need down trim to maintain level flight. Then when you roll the plane on the side the down trim is pulling it toward the gear. If you were nose heavy you'd need some up trim and when you get in KE the plane will pull up to the canopy. If you already have the battery all the way forward add some mixes, moving it back will only make it worse.
Oh, not what I learned!
But I would definitely go with your suggestion/proven theory.