HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,060 Posts
Thanks for the video - I think I'm gonna like it (or them) Color me crazy, but my lhs is apparently having problems with HH, so didn't get mine in, so I ordered from HH, on the brown truck for del today. But yesterday went to the city and big hobby shop there had a sale going on with 20% off everything in the store. So for $135 I just could not resist a second. Looks to me like it has a wider flight envelope than the Sbach. Looks like it will slow down better and that is important to me for small area flying. I'm not quick enough for fast and small areas, love slow and floaty. From what I see in this video, it looks to be a better plane than the Sbach which is one of my favorite's. It's only problem is that it wants to have speed to fly right.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:12 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
736 Posts
Quote:
I'd like to know how the Edge compares to the AS3X SBach, anyone have experience with both?
I'd like to know this too. I love my V1 Sbach. Seen the new version fly and while it's obviously better I can't give up my V1 to get the new one. Already commited to the edge at the point as batteries are on the way. The vid looks awesome and looks to be as good if not better than the Sbach.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:21 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,673 Posts
I think most will like it a lot better than either version Sbach. It's bigger, can do every move, still fits in a box and doesn't have AS3X! JUST KIDDING about the AS3X! Kind of
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:31 AM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
2,162 Posts
BOOOYYAAAA nice flying,,,,,did bird try to hitch a ride......
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
I think most will like it a lot better than either version Sbach. It's bigger, can do every move, still fits in a box and doesn't have AS3X! JUST KIDDING about the AS3X! Kind of
If you are thinking about carrying it in the box, you would need to come up with some way to make threading the aileron wires through the little holes and around the corner and down through the other hole to reach the receiver. I'd loose half my flying time doing that. And the box is pretty big in it's own right.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,930 Posts
Crap, I was hoping it'd be able to be stored in the box easily..

Looks like good maiden weather all week. Can't wait till tomorrow!
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
If you are thinking about carrying it in the box, you would need to come up with some way to make threading the aileron wires through the little holes and around the corner and down through the other hole to reach the receiver. I'd loose half my flying time doing that. And the box is pretty big in it's own right.
Could you run extensions up from the RX to make it easier? I just like the box for vacations and what not. Makes it nice if you decide to sell it too. Hopefully I won't want to sell it but you never know. Mine should be coming in the hour Time is moving very slow.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Jul 2012
736 Posts
Quote:
Crap, I was hoping it'd be able to be stored in the box easily..
As soon as I get the official measurements I'm building a box. I think 24" X 24" will work with the plane sitting diagonal. Should easily fit on the back seat of my truck. I've already got several sheets of foam put aside for this. I refuse to take it apart and put it back together each time I fly.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsheeMS View Post
As soon as I get the official measurements I'm building a box. I think 24" X 24" will work with the plane sitting diagonal. Should easily fit on the back seat of my truck. I've already got several sheets of foam put aside for this. I refuse to take it apart and put it back together each time I fly.
Why wouldn't you just transport it whole out of the box
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Jul 2012
736 Posts
Quote:
Why wouldn't you just transport it whole out of the box
They just tend to get too beat up that way. The foam dents and scuffs way too easy. I drive a 4 door truck with no bed cover so they have to ride on the back seat. I typically take 3 to 4 planes, Tx,s, spare parts, and tools when I go fly so having a box to transport them makes it much easier and increases the odds of the plane getting there and back in one piece.

For me it's way more fun to tear them up while flying than transporting.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:30 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,934 Posts
Quote:
.....For me it's way more fun to tear them up while flying than transporting.
LOL

Nicely put!

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:50 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
They just tend to get too beat up that way. The foam dents and scuffs way too easy. I drive a 4 door truck with no bed cover so they have to ride on the back seat. I typically take 3 to 4 planes, Tx,s, spare parts, and tools when I go fly so having a box to transport them makes it much easier and increases the odds of the plane getting there and back in one piece.

For me it's way more fun to tear them up while flying than transporting.
Same here! You may want to start some box production, because other may be interested!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:58 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Same here! You may want to start some box production, because other may be interested!
ForsheeMS,

If you do, can I get a large order of your awesome Lexington BBQ packed inside my box?

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:08 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Ok,,,, got a break in the weather yesterday ,, flew the crap out of the edge!!!!
Here are my thoughts and experiences,,,, this gona be loooong!! Sorry!!
So the short review : WOW , WOW and WOW!!!!!! First the good: excellent slow speed handling , very good float,,, good power , not fantastic but good, superior handling, very precise and very neutral,, the negatives : could use just a bit more power and speed in my opinion, doesn't handle the wind as well as Sbach V2. I hooked up ailerons on separate channels, set up radio for flapperons. Read about a 3d flapperon function that I wanted to try,, mixed flapperons with elevator so that with up elevator I got ailerons both going up reflexed used a 60% mix,, what this seemed to do at least from what I could tell was give the plane more stability in slow high alpha maneuvers,, found it especially helpful on landings in windy turbulent conditions , enabled me to very easily settle her in extremely smoothly without much effort,, slows her down and allows you to hold nose up without floating in ground effect,, just settles right in, kills glide angle too works great!!
I found my knife edges very very easy to hold, even high apha knife edges and knife edge loops weren't a problem,, I found hovering very easy with this plane. I'm using Zippy compacts 500mah 35c ( 48g) right at front wall gave me CG at 43mm back seemed about right. Flew the edge and SBach side by side one after another,, Sbach on 3S faster and more vertical power than edge,, radar clocked both : edge about 40mph, Sbach on 3s about 47 ,,, but,,, edge definately more floaty better at slow speed, more crisp and precise,, edge has waaaaaaay more visibility and presence in the air. As a side note my 300 powered e flite zero on 3s was radar clocked at 57mph upwind and 64mph downwind,, but it has a 7x6 prop, higher aspect ratio wing, thinner airfoil, and no landing gear. But I LOVE the edge overall,, think it'll be a GREAT 3D trainer for me,, very easy to fly but has great aerobatic capability ( more than I'm capable of currently ) think HH has hit a BIG home run here!!
My one tiny wish would be for just a little more oomph in vertical,,,although its not tooooo bad stock. Maybe a little bigger prop???
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:23 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
Well, I got about 6 flights on the little Edge today, and all I can say is wow! I really like it! It will make you a better pilot, unless you demolish it first! ;-) The little plane is not as fast as you might think, nor does if have the "oomph" in the vertical lines. The Edge however, does have a lot of control and super snappy-fast servos which allows for some crazy aerobatics. Flight times are about 6-6.5 minutes on a 3s 480 TP battery.

After flying the Edge my 3DHS 51" AJ Slick felt slow and predictable - which is a good thing... ;-)

The lightweight Edge 540 QQ is fairly durable because it has low mass in a crash, but it's not as tough as my EPP RCF Yak 55 from Twisted Hobbies. It's a good addition to your fleet and will get you some good stick time in a small field when needed!

A flight video is being uploaded a I type this.
Nice flyin CrazyJ!!!! Better than I can do!!! But as you said I think this plane CAN indeed make you a better pilot,, as you said it very quick reacting, I could'nt fly it first on high rates, took me a few flights to get used to it on low rates ,, then after a few flights I got comfortable on high rates,, the roll rate on high rates is INSANE!!! Your video clearly demonstrates this planes excellent slow speed charcteristics , nice flyin!! Soooooo I'm hoping to get better at 3D with this plane, then eventually move up to a 3DHS 41in AJ slick. Anybody sittin on the fence out there on this one,,,,, DON'T !!!!! Just get it!!!! It's AWSOME
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74