HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:03 AM
Joined Mar 2011
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
I'm doing all this from my IPhone ,, so I can't get flash player in order to post pics. :-(
Cool thanks. You have given me hope. I really like the size of this plane and it's capabilities. Just hate to have to justify buying another bunch of batteries to the wife LOL.
litehawkdown is offline Find More Posts by litehawkdown
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:32 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
Cool thanks. You have given me hope. I really like the size of this plane and it's capabilities. Just hate to have to justify buying another bunch of batteries to the wife LOL.
Just keep them in your pocket:
Tell her it runs on your existing lipo's, or is she some kind of battery expert???
Sadly the 540qq is not released in the uk yet, hoping to get one next week.
Got 3 overlander 3s 450mah lipo's on order, but looking at that pic of the plane by the pool maybe i should have ordered more! 10 more???
Cheers
mygeneration is offline Find More Posts by mygeneration
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:50 AM
Australia, WA, Belmont
Joined Aug 2012
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
What you gonna name the little dude in the cockpit? Might have some time to think as the weather here in N Cal. doesn't look so good.
Mike

hmm maybe Murphy after... Capt. Edward A. Murphy

"If anything can go wrong, it will"

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something"

he had a lot of sayings... http://www.murphys-laws.com/murphy/murphy-laws.html
Kurtus is offline Find More Posts by Kurtus
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:16 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Hoooooly Crap!!!!!! Just got back from 45mi drive back from MOM &POPstore in Yuba City here In nor cal,,,,, driving in dark and rain after dark. Half way there called and told him I'd be there about 20 min after he closed at 6:00pm,, he said: no problem!!! I'll wait!!, got there at exactly 6:20!!! Like I said ,, small,,, mom & pop operation ,, been there 33 yrs!! When I got there, he said : glad you made it !! Got my edge,, then he said : if it wasn't for guys like you, I still wouldn't be in business !!! I AM soooooooo glad people like him still exist!!
Sooooooo,,,,, got my edge,, and if rain lets up a little tommorow,, ill maiden her.
Sooooo out of the box,,,this plane looks FREAKIN AWSOME !!!!!!!!! Even better in real than in videos!!!
My story on this one is slightly different. My lhs is small, but has always had what seemed to be a great relationship with HH. They have been in business for years and always get new releases the next day after release without fail. But this time, they did not get these and say they are not sure when they will. Said HH is giving them some kind of trouble and they are unhappy and so am I. Some mention was given of not supporting the small lhs like they used to, but they would not go into detail. You would think HH would see the value of these shops. If I have to order HH stuff over the internet, it opens up new choices. I have always stuck with HH for the lhs support, but if everything has to come off the big brown truck, it sort of evens the field. Also, wife comes much nearer to understanding the $75 (as on the c card statement) edge I get from lhs (LOL) but I'll get some comment about the $170 one from HH off the brown truck.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:30 AM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minizoom View Post
Just picked mine up at Ultimate Hobbies! Can't wait to fly it!

very nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks for the pic....I love and like this pre-like while we are waiting
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:35 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,599 Posts
Quote:
Lots of extra room in that battery compartment ,, depends on the size and weight of that 800,, this compartment by my measurements is 75x35 mm,
And I had to put my 48g battery all the way fowArd to get proper CG,, at least on paper,,, havnt flown her yet.
Only problem you might have is battery compartment is relatively shallow,, about 25 mm

Thanks Jerry!

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:17 AM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
My edge pulls 112 watts @ 9.9 amps with a hyperion 25c 450mah 3s. I'm getting a few vibrations, prop probably needs balancing. I removed the y harness and put a 12 amp esc in, all up weight with hyperion 3s 450mah is 8.1 ounces, 7.7 ounces with hyperion 2s 450mah. I will do some 2s testing in a few hours and hopefully get a maiden in. I'm guessing it's probably going to be around 90 watts on 2s with apc 8x3.8 slow fly prop.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:19 AM
A tale of two slickies
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Feb 2010
443 Posts
Off to maiden. Woot!
0gravity is offline Find More Posts by 0gravity
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:20 AM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
My edge pulls 112 watts @ 9.9 amps with a hyperion 25c 450mah 3s. I'm getting a few vibrations, prop probably needs balancing. I removed the y harness and put a 12 amp esc in, all up weight with hyperion 3s 450mah is 8.1 ounces, 7.7 ounces with hyperion 2s 450mah. I will do some 2s testing in a few hours and hopefully get a maiden in.

hmm 9.9 amps with a 450 3s. So a 800 3s with stock esc doesn't sound so good.

thanks for that info !

yes, curious about the larger 2s

just checked out the spec page on the stock 10 amp esc.
"says continuous maximum current 0-25amp" ? ?
how is this possible?
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Last edited by flyrtim; Nov 17, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:26 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0gravity View Post
Off to maiden. Woot!
Good Luck!!!!
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:44 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
My edge pulls 112 watts @ 9.9 amps with a hyperion 25c 450mah 3s. I'm getting a few vibrations, prop probably needs balancing. I removed the y harness and put a 12 amp esc in, all up weight with hyperion 3s 450mah is 8.1 ounces, 7.7 ounces with hyperion 2s 450mah. I will do some 2s testing in a few hours and hopefully get a maiden in. I'm guessing it's probably going to be around 90 watts on 2s with apc 8x3.8 slow fly prop.
My Zippy compacts must be bricks!!! My Edge's AUW come out at 8.4oz :-)
But even with that brick, I had to shove it ALL the way fowArd to get correct CG
112watts full power ,,that's about 213watts/pound on my plane. :-O,,, pretty good,,, when I throttled her up to full,, she pulled REAL hard,, should be great vertical. Can't even imagine what 4S would be like!! It'd be fun to try though. :-)
If this constant rain here in ole nor cal ever lets up for even just a few minutes, I'll take her out. She sure looks real purdy!!!!!
I hooked up ailerons on separate channels per instruction manual, and programmed radio for flaperons
Anybody here know what we're gona do with that??? Mix aileron reflex with elevator for harriers perhaps???? Differential??? I thought planes like this didn't require differential

Jerry
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Last edited by Airman74; Nov 17, 2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Addition
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:53 AM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
I'm guessing maybe a rudder to elevator mix and or rudder to aileron mix, curious about the differential. I haven't flown it yet, not sure about coupling issues. I have flaps mixed into elevator on my biplanes, does some interesting things, never tried it on a monoplane though.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:54 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post

thanks for that info !

This ESC is exact same one I have in my E Flite 300 zero,, its speced for 10amps continuous and 12amp burst for 15secs. I have about 10 flights on my zero running my 500mah 35c 3s zippy compacts with no issues whatsoever ,, a few of the flights I was brave and ran mostly WOT interspersed with maybe about 30-40sec runs at half throttle,, still no issues. If that helps. I could be pushing my luck,, couple times right after I landed motor felt pretty toasty

Jerry
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:10 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,280 Posts
FYI John Redman has said on several different threads that E-Flite motors and ESCs are way under rated. That doesn't mean you can run 4s on the stock setup though.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post

thanks for that info !

how is this possible?
Not sure I understand. In theory if a motor pulls 9.9 amps with a 450 ma battery, it will pull 9.9 amps from a 2000ma battery. The only reason it would not is if the 450ma battery did not have the discharge capacity (high enough c rating) to get full power from the motor. At least that's how I see it. 450ma vs 800ma is the capacity of the fuel tank, more fuel, but not necessarily more powerful fuel. Shouldn't a 450ma battery with a 25C continuous rating be able to dump out 11 amps continuous? Also, were you measuring amp draw in static conditions or did you have telemetry to see what it was doing unloaded in the air?
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly