SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:35 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
Hoooooly Crap!!!!!! Just got back from 45mi drive back from MOM &POPstore in Yuba City here In nor cal,,,,, driving in dark and rain after dark. Half way there called and told him I'd be there about 20 min after he closed at 6:00pm,, he said: no problem!!! I'll wait!!, got there at exactly 6:20!!! Like I said ,, small,,, mom & pop operation ,, been there 33 yrs!! When I got there, he said : glad you made it !! Got my edge,, then he said : if it wasn't for guys like you, I still wouldn't be in business !!! I AM soooooooo glad people like him still exist!!
Sooooooo,,,,, got my edge,, and if rain lets up a little tommorow,, ill maiden her.
Sooooo out of the box,,,this plane looks FREAKIN AWSOME !!!!!!!!! Even better in real than in videos!!!
Dedicated.
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:40 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,571 Posts
slo-fly, i love your story! reminds me of my situation. lol. not really but i got the beast and held my breath. it worked out! dont have room for more big planes, but the smaller ones....... bring em!
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:14 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Just got my edge all bound up to my DX-8
Some tips: make sure you have Throttle trim all the way down to arm,, and bind is. Little different than what some are used to,, make sure you short out the two bind pins , then connect battery, then turn on tranny and bind. On mine had to reverse elevator,, everything else was ok. Didn't have to recenter any servos,, at least by eye. But,,,, man!!!!!! This thing has POWER!!!!!!!!!! Hoooooooly Moooooly!!!!! Can hardly wait!!! I'm sure hoping rain lets up a little tommorow!!! This thing looks FREAKIN AWSOME !!!
Makes Sbach look like a toy!!! :-)
I can just tell, by firing her up,,, and looking at the overall quality of this little guy!! Think it's gona be a groundbreaker!!! Can't say enough good things about this plane!!!! I was expecting ALOT of power out of the box,,,,,,,,, but MAN!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!! Makes my 300 size zero on 3S look tame!!! :-O
Has ALOT of control throws!!!
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Last edited by Airman74; Nov 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Addition
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:35 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Ok,,, weighed her on the digital scale with a zippy compact 500mah 35c 3s ,, 8.4oz, same as my e flite 300 zero,, except the zero has waaay less wing area,,, and this edge at least from just holding it in my hand at full power seems to have more pull than zero on 3S,,,,,,, I'm EXCITED!!!!
This is one BAD ASS plane!!!
Last edited by Airman74; Nov 17, 2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Addition
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:00 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
And here's some more interesting news,, at least in mine,, had to put my 48gram 500 mah zippy compact 3s 35c ALL the way fowArd in battery compartment to get it to balance in the reccomended 42-45mm back from leading edge CG range,,, so should easily make bigger batteries possible,,, maybe 4S!!! :-O,,, ,,, Although,,, this little guy seems to have plenty of power on 3S,. She wanted to yank right out of my hand on 3S
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:14 AM
Joined Mar 2011
284 Posts
I am looking to get models that fly on similar batteries. I am currently flying a Trex 250 that flies on 800mah 3s. Can this plane handle it? Or is it too big?
litehawkdown is offline Find More Posts by litehawkdown
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:16 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Quote:
And here's some more interesting news,, at least in mine,, had to put my 48gram 500 mah zippy compact 3s 35c ALL the way fowArd in battery compartment to get it to balance in the reccomended 42-45mm back from leading edge CG range,,, so should easily make bigger batteries possible,,, maybe 4S!!! :-O,,, ,,, Although,,, this little guy seems to have plenty of power on 3S,. She wanted to yank right out of my hand on 3S
What you gonna name the little dude in the cockpit? Might have some time to think as the weather here in N Cal. doesn't look so good.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:19 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
I am looking to get models that fly on similar batteries. I am currently flying a Trex 250 that flies on 800mah 3s. Can this plane handle it? Or is it too big?
Lots of extra room in that battery compartment ,, depends on the size and weight of that 800,, this compartment by my measurements is 75x35 mm,
And I had to put my 48g battery all the way fowArd to get proper CG,, at least on paper,,, havnt flown her yet.
Only problem you might have is battery compartment is relatively shallow,, about 25 mm
Last edited by Airman74; Nov 17, 2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:20 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
What you gonna name the little dude in the cockpit? Might have some time to think as the weather here in N Cal. doesn't look so good.
Mike
Don't know yet,,, got any ideas????
But trust me ,,,,, if there's ANY break at all in the rain tommorow,,, she/he is goin UP!! :-)
Last edited by Airman74; Nov 17, 2012 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Addition
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:24 AM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
size not too big I don't think

previous discussion (theoretical--since no one had the plane 2 weeks ago) noted 60 grams is max.

800, 850 3s is 69g for nanotech + skylipo--- so no 3d at that weight--but flyable probably.

can the 10amp esc handle it? WOT might be too much for esc.

I do have some 800's I am considerering using--if ESC can handle it.
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:27 AM
Joined Mar 2011
284 Posts
Quote:
Lots of extra room in that battery compartment ,, depends on the size and weight of that 800,, this compartment by my measurements is 75x35 mm,
And I had to put my 48g battery all the way fowArd to get proper CG,, at least on paper,,, havnt flown her yet.
Nice to hear. 77grams for my 800mah gen ace. 58mm long 30mm wide 24mm high. I want this plane. TELL ME IT WILL WORK! More batteries would be a deal breaker the wife can only let me get away with so much.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:34 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Nice to hear. 77grams for my 800mah gen ace. 58mm long 30mm wide 24mm high. I want this plane. TELL ME IT WILL WORK! More batteries would be a deal breaker the wife can only let me get away with so much.
Sounds like size AND weight will work,,, prob will be a tad nose heavy at that weight,, so 3D, not real good,, but should work. ESC I think will be ok. I ran these Zippy 500mah 35c 3Ss in my E Flite 300zero that has a 300 brushless with a 7x6 prop with no issues whatsoever ,, this edge has same exact ESC and a 280 brushless running a 6.5x3.8 prop,,,,, so I think you'll be fine. As far as batteries. Well,,, I know the Zippies aren't as good as the high end brand,,, but for $7.50/ ea,,, maybe not too bad???
Hmmmm,,,, 77grams,,,, so about 19grams heavier,,, pushed all the way back,,, CG might not be an issue at all,,, and the power of this plane won't be affected that much by an extra 19grams. :-)
Its has REALLY REALLY good pull!!!
Ooops!!! My foo pa on the math!!!! 29grams heavier!!! You prob will notice that!!! But still might be OK,,,,
As I said before,,,, this plane definately has waaaay more than 1:1 power to weight ratio
It IS ONE bad MAMA JAMA. :-)
And the amount of expo they reccomend for this thing is really crazy,, 60% on elevator,,, but I guess with a 3D plane like this with these kinds of throws it'll be necessary
Last edited by Airman74; Nov 17, 2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:54 AM
Joined Mar 2011
284 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like size AND weight will work,,, prob will be a tad nose heavy at that weight,, so 3D, not real good,, but should work. ESC I think will be ok. I ran these Zippy 500mah 35c 3Ss in my E Flite 300zero that has a 300 brushless with a 7x6 prop with no issues whatsoever ,, this edge has same exact ESC and a 280 brushless running a 6.5x3.8 prop,,,,, so I think you'll be fine. As far as batteries. Well,,, I know the Zippies aren't as good as the high end brand,,, but for $7.50/ ea,,, maybe not too bad???
Hmmmm,,,, 77grams,,,, so about 19grams heavier,,, pushed all the way back,,, CG might not be an issue at all,,, and the power of this plane won't be affected that much by an extra 19grams. :-)
Its has REALLY REALLY good pull!!!
Ooops!!! My foo pa on the math!!!! 29grams heavier!!! You prob will notice that!!! But still might be OK,,,,
As I said before,,,, this plane definately has waaaay more than 1:1 power to weight ratio
It IS ONE bad MAMA JAMA. :-)
Guess there is no interior shots? I was wondering if there is anything I could move to improve CG. Nose heavy would be a downer. Literally.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:12 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
There is just foam at back wall you could cut away,, prob get at least another 10mm rearward
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:55 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
I'm doing all this from my IPhone ,, so I can't get flash player in order to post pics. :-(