HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2012
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie34 View Post
because besides needing planes that come built and ready to fly...... alot of people want planes that can fly themselves too....or at least come close....
all you have to do is just go to a field and start yelling at the pilots "do a loop" etc
then u don't even have to buy the plane
MRrcRC is offline Find More Posts by MRrcRC
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:53 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,145 Posts
Got my zippy compact 35c 3S today,, bought 6,, I'm off work tommorow, think ill try them in my E Flite 300size zero and P-40 tomorow , just to get a little taste of what to expect from the Edge,,,, although with the Zero's 7x6 prop ,, prob will be a bit faster than the edge's 6.5x3.8 prop. Although ill have to be careful at WOT with that 7x6 prop
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2012
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
For example, this.....

i think its very wrong to think that a ducted fan is a precursor to a jet because their operating principles are very different. a prop and ducted fan work by having a wing physically displace air to the rear by using a piston power to spin the prop. a jet engine uses expanding gases to propel the plane forward. a rocket is closer in principle to a jet. a modern turbofan (only on large airliners i.e. not fighter jets) is like a hybrid between a jet (turbojet) and a piston powered ducted fan. kinda like a dolphin is a direct ancestor to a walking mammal as opposed to being a direct ancestor from a fish.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:16 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRrcRC View Post
i think its very wrong to think that a ducted fan is a precursor to a jet because their operating principles are very different. a prop and ducted fan work by having a wing physically displace air to the rear by using a piston power to spin the prop. a jet engine uses expanding gases to propel the plane forward. a rocket is closer in principle to a jet. a modern turbofan (only on large airliners i.e. not fighter jets) is like a hybrid between a jet (turbojet) and a piston powered ducted fan. kinda like a dolphin is a direct ancestor to a walking mammal as opposed to being a direct ancestor from a fish.
Hmmmmmmm!!!!!!! Are we splitting hairs
A prop displaces a much larger volume of air ( relatively ) and ducted fan works on smaller prop area with more blades spinning faster,, is it REALLY that much different ,,,, or,,, AM I missing something???
I'll be first to admit,,, I'm not an expert in this area. Just asking
Ducted fan DOESN'T displace air over a large area of control surfaces, ducted fan pushes, as where a propeller generally pulls,,, Am I missing something???
Way I figure ,,, ducted fan not TOO much different than a jet,,, maybe a rpm difference, and number of blades,,, but really similar in concept???
So,,, to sumerize,,, prop pulls large volume of air over control surfaces,, and ducted fan PUSHES smaller volume at higher velocities ?? Do I have that right??
Last edited by Airman74; Nov 14, 2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Addition
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2012
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
There are tons of good planes without AS3X, but for alot of people, the AS3X planes fly so well and are so convenient, they dont want to spend money on something else. Most people cant buy every great plane, but if you want a couple great flying micros, they'll go for the AS3X ones. If it was a crutch then flying a 100 inch wingspan plane is a crutch because its so large and stable
AS3X does a great job of limiting movement, rather than stopping it(except in the heading hold applications on helis). AS3X planes often still need a little trim, sometimes might still have a little coupling.
using a gyro on a 100" wingspan plane is a crutch.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2012
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by accel8or View Post
We need a sign "Learn to Fly" at our field. People come in, start bombarding us with "how much does it cost, how much, how much...." then next week they come with an airplane in the box, try to fly it, and by Sunday, I look in the trash cans, and there are the planes that used to be in the box
a gold mine for people that know how to use glue and tape
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2012
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by accel8or View Post
Tell 'em anything to make a sale, yes, unfortunately.

We will see the day when you can buy a plane-in-the-box that will fly itself and the person will just point it to where they want it to go and the plane-in-the-box will do it all, including crash avoidance. Don't call these people pilots.

Personally I'd rather fly the plane myself. I want my skills. It's a lot more fun.

But I have nothing against AS3X. Things more complex than that are in fighter planes.
all fighter pilots that fly jets with fly-by-wire like the f16 and f22 are addicted to crutches! lets see them in a fokker triplane when they ground loop it. lol jk
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2012
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
You should ask Quique if he thinks it's a crutch.
to be completely honest, even if qq thought it was a crutch, as the designer of the plane and an employee of hh, he would never say so
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:29 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
I wasnt saying that you should put a gyro on a 100inch, i was trying to compare the stability of a 100inch( w/o gyro) and a micro without AS3X.
A 100inch is going to be FAR more stable and easier to fly than a twitchy as razor quick responding micro.
I want my micros to fly like bigger planes, and now that they kinda do, why should i spend all my money on a big airplane i can fly two or four days a month when for much less money thanks to AS3X I can fly a much smaller and cheaper plane at the local park whenever the hell i want to fly, and with AS3X i get the experience of flying a much larger plane.
I was NOT saying a gyro belongs on a 100inch i was saying you need it ON A MICRO to bridge the gap between a 2oz airplane and a 50inch, so that you can get a larger scale experience at any local park.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:32 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
all fighter pilots that fly jets with fly-by-wire like the f16 and f22 are addicted to crutches! lets see them in a fokker triplane when they ground loop it. lol jk
Think your missing the point of ASX
ASX stabilizes the micro planes to make them more like the bigger planes
Those fighters are sooooooo hard to handle without gyros that makes pilot load more manageable
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2012
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Just checked again, and "those" is not a huge number BTW! Many guys said HH should have put AS3X in, but I believe I saw only one guy being affirmative about NOT buying it so far. Sure enough, all those who think that AS3X would be an asset in a small airplane like that, may likely simply not pre-order it and wait on the sideline to see if QQ's pure magic is worth it. That's my case (and being a canadian, I still have to wait an extra month before they show up anyway!). What I like about my Beast 3D is the fact that I can hover it when there's a 5mph wind. There's basically no other ultra-micro I can do 3D with, in 5mph wind (which happen a lot), and not be bothered by a little wind as the Beast3D does. Yes, I absolutely prefer my Beast V1 much more, but when there's no wind though, and that doesn't seem to happen often enough in my area!. If I had access to a large indoor facility 7 days a week, I would not look for AS3X at all. But being able to go to the local park, and do stuff I could only do when there's no wind is what AS3X is all about. I don't want it so I can fly my airplanes in 25mph wind. To me this is not flying, and if you really want to fly, you simply have to use a different airplane for that. But I want it so I can fly something small more often, and do the same stuff in little wind as I would do in no wind at all. That being said, and I'll say it again: it would be great if AS3X could be turned off for those days without wind though. Best of both world! C'mon HH, end all those pointless discussions?
waiting an extra month to get a new plane has nothing to do with being in canada. i think it's more of your LHS issue as i am in ontario, and my LHS gets stuff as soon as they r released in the usa
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:39 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,145 Posts
How in the world did we got off on this trac about ducted fans on the Edge thread anyways????
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:39 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsheeMS View Post
Just ordered batteries today. Unfortunately they're coming out of China since the US warehouse didn't have them in stock.
I must have taken the last two!! Sorry
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:42 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,145 Posts
Yes,, In calm winds ASX not needed,,,,, and how often does that happen????
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:43 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
I must have taken the last two!! Sorry
I just ordered 3 from USA Wharehouse at about 1:30pm PST , hope I didn't hog up last ones. :-(