HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:34 PM
southeastern US
Joined Nov 2006
96 Posts
Good info...the suggested pack is 3s at only 450mah, right? IF i can get the cg right with the 500/2S pack it would still weigh slightly less than the 3S too--so less power needed and slightly more amps too? Plus if im not doing much acrobatics or full throttle thatd give me more run time wouldnt it? What size prop will i need to go with?
fstop is offline Find More Posts by fstop
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:41 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
Good info...the suggested pack is 3s at only 450mah, right? IF i can get the cg right with the 500/2S pack it would still weigh slightly less than the 3S too--so less power needed and slightly more amps too? Plus if im not doing much acrobatics or full throttle thatd give me more run time wouldnt it? What size prop will i need to go with?
I think what you say makes sense. I'd try a 8x4 to start with 2S? Just a guess I really don't know but that seems like a conservative start for 2S. I think you'd have enough power to fly "on the wing" even running a 7x3.5 on 2S. If you run a more stock sized 7x3.5 I'd just plan ahead, make sure you have enough space, don't get into tight situations.

BTW... you've flown an aileron ship, right??
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:44 PM
southeastern US
Joined Nov 2006
96 Posts
I sure know what you mean about wanting to get out of trouble! 'Cept most of my planes dont have tons of throttle power or as much control surfaces i would imagine. How much rudder authority is there?
Only 370mAh pack, so its pretty forgiving with weight/CG?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:49 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8,059 Posts
Quote:
I sure know what you mean about wanting to get out of trouble! 'Cept most of my planes dont have tons of throttle power or as much control surfaces i would imagine. How much rudder authority is there?
Only 370mAh pack, so its pretty forgiving with weight/CG?
On the max rates I run at with "long arms" it's pretty huge. This thing can KE no problem at pretty slow speeds. I haven't really flown on anything but high rates so I really don't know. But I'd expect 78% throw to have pretty danged good authority.

The 370's go a little forward of the mid position. The forward edge of the battery lines up with the rear edge of the chrome battery-cover magnets. But I put my ESC below-deck so my plane is a little more nose-heavy than stock to start. The ESC is slightly more forward down there.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:53 PM
southeastern US
Joined Nov 2006
96 Posts
Yea, have lots of aileron planes, but mostly older-era warbird varieties (ww1/2), no true modern acrobatic bird experience though!
Still using the original DX7 and out of memory model slots though ;(
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:42 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
736 Posts
Quote:
Just did a couple checks on mine. Stock set up on 3s with the GWS7035 prop static numbers are:

8.7 Amps
99.7 Watts

This seems pretty standard to what others here are getting.

Next, 2s with GWS 8043 slow fly prop static numbers are:

8.39 Amps
63.1 Watts

Even with the 8043SF prop thrust is down quite a bit on 2s. Vertical would definitely be limited but it would fly no problems. I'm thinking a 9047SF would probably be fine on 2s but you'll have to be careful on take off and landing because it going to be really close to the ground.

For CG I fly mine on 3s with the battery nearly all the way back on calm days and move it about 1/2" from the very front when the wind is up. With the 2s 500 battery stuffed as far forward as it will go the CG is the same as my 3s set up moved back. Hope this helps.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:32 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
930 Posts
guys, I was out today and tested the "QQ setup file" first.
YESSSSS, this is what I'm looking for- the plane flies perfect in aerobatic and 3D flight level.
I'm really impressed- the Edge goes on line, flies like a big(ger) plane and I'm surprised how good she is !
-
Hope the Beast in this size will come soon
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:38 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
guys, I was out today and tested the "QQ setup file" first.
YESSSSS, this is what I'm looking for- the plane flies perfect in aerobatic and 3D flight level.
I'm really impressed- the Edge goes on line, flies like a big(ger) plane and I'm surprised how good she is !
-
Hope the Beast in this size will come soon
Indeed. I was out at the field doing flat spins, blenders, snap rolls, tumbles, etc. and a guy walked out during a flight. I landed before he arrived at the flight-line and when he saw the plane, he was amazed. He thought it was a lot bigger.

I hope a Beast comes out too!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:59 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsheeMS View Post
Even with the 8043SF prop thrust is down quite a bit on 2s. Vertical would definitely be limited but it would fly no problems. I'm thinking a 9047SF would probably be fine on 2s but you'll have to be careful on take off and landing because it going to be really close to the ground.
You could also use a GWS 9x5 3blade prop and just cut each blade down so that it becomes an 8x5x3. This should give you plenty of thrust and still have plenty of ground clearance. Cutting down those gws props is really easy too.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:31 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
You could also use a GWS 9x5 3blade prop and just cut each blade down so that it becomes an 8x5x3. This should give you plenty of thrust and still have plenty of ground clearance. Cutting down those gws props is really easy too.

-Brian
Seems like that would make the prop much less efficient.
They design them the be flown whole!
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:26 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
Seems like that would make the prop much less efficient.
They design them the be flown whole!
probably a little less, but as long as you match the tip shape you'll have relatively good efficiency. I used to only tip .25" off the tip which doesn't change it much. This would be .5" which might be a little worse for efficiency.

math:
If you figure that the pitch is usually set at 75% of the blade that would be at 3.35" from the hub when the blade is 4.5" (9" prop) now each blade will be 4" so the set pitch is 85% so there will be an efficiency loss, but with this small scale and light weight I'd just fly it.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:21 PM
southeastern US
Joined Nov 2006
96 Posts
ForsheeMS, thats a great help! Thanks for the tests! I was afraid i might not be able to get a good cg even with the 2s battery pushed all the way up to the nose.
I'll get a couple of different prop choices you guys have suggested when i do get this plane--actually went to my LHS today, but they didnt have any in stock
Count, I agree on Beast too, had old version one and liked it--but i really like the size of this plane, not too small or big, hope they start coming out with a lot more in this size range!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:37 PM
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
524 Posts
[QUOTE=ForsheeMS;24152567]Just did a couple checks on mine. Stock set up on 3s with the GWS7035 prop static numbers are:

8.7 Amps
99.7 Watts

This seems pretty standard to what others here are getting.

Next, 2s with GWS 8043 slow fly prop static numbers are:

8.39 Amps
63.1 Watts
QUOTE]

Looks like on 2S, current will be too high for the stock ESC if you prop up enough to be fun to fly.
mdv is offline Find More Posts by mdv
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:15 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv View Post
Looks like on 2S, current will be too high for the stock ESC if you prop up enough to be fun to fly.
Yes. He is aware of the performance difference. But it will still be "fun to fly" for him.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:49 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
930 Posts
today, I was out with my new Visionaire. She feels like a "truck" at the sticks when you flow the Edge before
Yes, the Edge flies and seems like bigger planes- after bad QC issues and checked all things this plane is fine and really a shooter in this model size (without As3X).
One friend in our meadows asked me while I flow my Edge " Is this a new model and have this also As3X stabilization ?"
First YES and second NO !!!
-
continious saying "we need a Beast"
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count