HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:57 AM
Cats can fly!
Joined Jun 2012
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Hey, I juys' fixes um, I dasn't make um....

(It's true that's way too long a checklist for any plane, much less a Horizon offering. Sorry. But as stated, it is well worth it. Of course, if you want a 3D plane which has perfect quality, easy assembly, and workmanship every bit as good as a Graupner/Multiplex right out of the box, then buy the new Visionaire. It's astounding.)
All true. I'm loving the Visionaire, but the Edge has a special fun factor unique to it alone. Actually, I'm wondering if the reliability and build quality will be improved when it becomes available again? If it does, I'll probably buy a new one. My original is starting to look like a dog's chew toy....
neon the cat is offline Find More Posts by neon the cat
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:45 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Wow! Just received my 7035s after waiting awhile for black ones to come in stock. This thing is a beast with them. It feels like a totally new airplane, it just rips through the air. Coupled with increased throw, this lil' edge knife edge spins and tumbles like crazy.
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Last edited by Benf207; Feb 13, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:55 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benf207 View Post
Wow! Just received my 5030s after waiting awhile for black ones to come in stock. This thing is a beast with them. It feels like a totally new airplane, it just rips through the air. Coupled with increased throw, this lil' edge knife edge spins and tumbles like crazy.
Wrong thread? Wrong props? 5030's are way small for the 540QQ.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:02 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Wrong thread? Wrong props? 5030's are way small for the 540QQ.
Right, my bad, meant 7035.
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:26 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benf207 View Post
Right, my bad, meant 7035.
I'm running 7040's. I think they are a bit too much. It slows a bit in vertical as the pack wears out. And it goes faster than reasonable when straight and level. I should try the 7035.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:46 PM
southeastern US
Joined Nov 2006
61 Posts
Wondering if it is possible to run 500mAh 2S (instead of 3S) packs in this? Or will the esc cutout, etc. Want to fly as slow as possible, plus already have a bunch of the 2s packs
fstop is online now Find More Posts by fstop
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:49 AM
Joined Dec 2010
6,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
Wondering if it is possible to run 500mAh 2S (instead of 3S) packs in this? Or will the esc cutout, etc. Want to fly as slow as possible, plus already have a bunch of the 2s packs
The ESC will not cut out. It should fly fine as a sport plane. I'm not sure you can get the CG right with just that battery. You may have to add some weight. Just don't expect sparkling performance.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:43 PM
... UMX Horizon Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
847 Posts
...you need also a larger prop for 2S.
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:12 PM
southeastern US
Joined Nov 2006
61 Posts
Thanks guys! Was hoping there might be room to move the battery as aft as possible (i still havent seen this bird in person yet). What prop would you recommend, Count?
Been reading up on the forum posts--sounds like a prop change is inevitable for any reason anyway. Dont have much acrobatic flying experience, so wanted to take it slow at first. Not a newbie, have about 20 planes, some of which ive custom built, but theyre mostly slower-flyers. Love the size and look of this one though....
Any more advice is greatly appreciated!!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:17 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,305 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys! Was hoping there might be room to move the battery as aft as possible (i still havent seen this bird in person yet). What prop would you recommend, Count?
Been reading up on the forum posts--sounds like a prop change is inevitable for any reason anyway. Dont have much acrobatic flying experience, so wanted to take it slow at first. Not a newbie, have about 20 planes, some of which ive custom built, but theyre mostly slower-flyers. Love the size and look of this one though....
Any more advice is greatly appreciated!!
Just be aware that this is a "goes where you point it" type plane. It is designed to hold the last attitude until control inputs get it to do something else. Since you say most of your planes are slow-fliers, just be aware of that. It does not do any sort of self-recovery. It will fly surprisingly slow, so if you keep the throttle low (easier with 2S) you should be comfortable with the speed.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:48 PM
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
354 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys! Was hoping there might be room to move the battery as aft as possible (i still havent seen this bird in person yet) ....
Why do you want to move the battery aft?
mdv is offline Find More Posts by mdv
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:41 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,213 Posts
Quote:
2s will get u about 2 or 3 min flight time
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:58 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
2s will get u about 2 or 3 min flight time
If he gets 10 amps max out of 11.1 volts then he'll get about 6.5 amps max out of 7.4 volts. Wouldn't a 2S pack last longer delivering a max of just 6.5 amps instead of 10? It's the power that suffers, giving only 48 watts at 2S rather than 110 watts at 3S. You solve that by propping up until you are drawing 10 amps out of the 2S pack. Then you get the same flight time but at (about) 75 watts instead of 110 watts. This is assuming both the 2S and 3S batteries are the same mAh capacity (say, 500?).
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:17 PM
southeastern US
Joined Nov 2006
61 Posts
@mdv, Meant forward
How much space is in there for movement fore/aft anyway? Where is everyone placing the standard battery for cg?
Thanks again, erkq. So it'd be best to put controls on very low rates for me to start out?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:29 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,305 Posts
Quote:
@mdv, Meant forward
How much space is in there for movement fore/aft anyway? Where is everyone placing the standard battery for cg?
Thanks again, erkq. So it'd be best to put controls on very low rates for me to start out?
Well, you want enough rate to have enough control authority to get out of trouble. I use the QQ mix from HorizonHobby. They have three rates and their lowest rate actually scares me. I feel like I'm along for the ride with very little to say about what actually happens. Of course that's not true, but it's little enough control that it feels a little spooky. I think the mid-rates on that setup file are reasonable. That's:

Aileron: 40% throw, 27% expo
Elevator: 28% throw, 20% expo - makes sense, elevator is very sensitive
Rudder: 78% throw, 37% expo - lots of rudder is always good to have.

EDIT: I can't speak to the standard battery. I run 370mAh's and get nice floaty slowwww flight out of it if I want.