SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:57 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyWhiz View Post
So the stuff local flyers told me like 'I always buy E Flite planes because if there's any problem you can just take it back..' was probably hype..
Sorry for your misfortunes. I understand being upset for sure! But you should probably actually talk to "E Flite planes" before you conclude "take it back" is hype. They have treated their customers very well in these situation. But they are not obligated to. Their warranty agreement is "until you take it out of the box". But I have never heard of them sticking a customer with this kind of ridiculous warranty!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:25 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2013
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Sorry for your misfortunes. I understand being upset for sure! But you should probably actually talk to "E Flite planes" before you conclude "take it back" is hype. They have treated their customers very well in these situation. But they are not obligated to. Their warranty agreement is "until you take it out of the box". But I have never heard of them sticking a customer with this kind of ridiculous warranty!
Thanks.. of course I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. I was referring to the fact several guys at the flying field told me when they had a problem with an E Flite or ParkZone model they liked that they could take it back to the store they bought it from and they were sorted out!

Live and learn I suppose.. it's only a hobby (and hard-to-come-by money)
BillyWhiz is offline Find More Posts by BillyWhiz
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:41 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Thanks.. of course I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. I was referring to the fact several guys at the flying field told me when they had a problem with an E Flite or ParkZone model they liked that they could take it back to the store they bought it from and they were sorted out!

Live and learn I suppose.. it's only a hobby (and hard-to-come-by money)
Call Horizon, They are top notch in Customer service.Just be sure to be polite and cordial. I've ended up with 30min conversations about flying completely unrelated to the issue I called about.

Also I noticed in you original post you said "lipo gave a warning pulse" LVC is not a warning pulse it is telling you you've already overdischarged the battery. By the time the LVC kicks in a pulses the motor the batter is WAY beyond the 80% discharge limit. You should plan your flights so that you land before this happens. Also measure the mAh put back into the battery. Your goal is 80% of the batteries rated capacity.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:15 AM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2013
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Call Horizon, They are top notch in Customer service.Just be sure to be polite and cordial. I've ended up with 30min conversations about flying completely unrelated to the issue I called about.

Also I noticed in you original post you said "lipo gave a warning pulse" LVC is not a warning pulse it is telling you you've already overdischarged the battery. By the time the LVC kicks in a pulses the motor the batter is WAY beyond the 80% discharge limit. You should plan your flights so that you land before this happens. Also measure the mAh put back into the battery. Your goal is 80% of the batteries rated capacity.

-Brian
Thanks for the info - I'm fairly new to electric power systems as you probably spotted - I didn't know the LVC was to be avoided - in fact I do run a tx timer but in that case I ignored it.. life is all about learning!
Re: the Edge 540qq I will be polite of course - maybe due to their enviable reputation I was expecting better? I'm not Horizon bashing btw - but I do feel an expensive albeit complex item like this should function as advertised at the very least. Yeah I'm dissappointed too because I was having a blast before the prop disintegrated!!
BillyWhiz is offline Find More Posts by BillyWhiz
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:57 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info - I'm fairly new to electric power systems as you probably spotted - I didn't know the LVC was to be avoided - in fact I do run a tx timer but in that case I ignored it.. life is all about learning!
Re: the Edge 540qq I will be polite of course - maybe due to their enviable reputation I was expecting better? I'm not Horizon bashing btw - but I do feel an expensive albeit complex item like this should function as advertised at the very least. Yeah I'm dissappointed too because I was having a blast before the prop disintegrated!!
The stock prop is one of the weakest parts of this plane. Mine broke when I sneezed on it. I run APC 7040's because they are coming perfectly balanced these days. It's so nice and smooooth...
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:12 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,340 Posts
Quote:
I will be polite of course - maybe due to their enviable reputation I was expecting better?
Just remember: Your LHS is not HH.

It will help immensely if before you call HH CS, you have specific info, including pictures on hand as they may help make your situation clear with HH.

In particular, it seems you are attributing the issue to a sudden and catastrophic loss of one blade, separating from the stock and original molded two-bladed prop, causing vibration induced motor separation, before you could stop the motor and try a dead stick.

That's the type of very strange thing that has yet to be reported here, sounds very odd, and (speculating) might be due to rough handling by a packer or other transfer operation that folded a blade over, and then it got folded back, perhaps.

So, if you can get a close-up photo of that hub, and the blades of the prop, then that might contain valuable clues as to the way the thing failed -- perhaps a crack, parting line, bend, or other defect/artifact will show up.

Just do be aware -- HH is darn good at spending some time trying to figure if a caller is a genuinely aggrieved customer with valid QC or other complaint, versus a careless flyer who just wants to angle out some spares or a replacement plane due to poor flying or prep on the part of the flyer. So if it seems they are in any way 'giving you the run around' trust me they are not -- just answer questions, provide information as requested, and if there was a QC or design or shipping issue, then I am sure you will be made whole.

tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:17 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,935 Posts
Quote:
Just remember: Your LHS is not HH.
So true. I have been in some that were not customer friendly and others that were. Horizon will help you if you keep your cool and be reasonable.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:41 PM
Cats can fly!
Joined Jun 2012
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsheeMS View Post
You're more than welcome to S-can it in my dumpster...............free of charge!
LOL... I guess I was annoyed (and overreacting) at the moment. I flew the little guy today (sans LG ) and everything held together. Enjoyed the flying, but can't help feeling the next component failure is just around the corner.
So, the only dumpster it's going in is my own, and it will have to be a total wreck before that happens!!
neon the cat is offline Find More Posts by neon the cat
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:16 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,340 Posts
nah, neon once you are through the initial wring-out period, it's all good from there.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:24 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
2,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon the cat View Post
LOL... I guess I was annoyed (and overreacting) at the moment. I flew the little guy today (sans LG ) and everything held together. Enjoyed the flying, but can't help feeling the next component failure is just around the corner.
So, the only dumpster it's going in is my own, and it will have to be a total wreck before that happens!!
third flight-- prop and nosecone and propadaptor flew off, FLOATED plane down to nice landing,,,,,10th flight wheel gear came off, when i picked up plane AFTER LANDING,got lucky, no glue so DUCKED TAPED gear back in.kept flying ,still have ducktape over gear no problems. on 60th flight rudder servo whent bonkers while landing,cart wheeled ,broke prop..put on extra prop,un plugedservo,DUCKED TAPED rudder straight,,,,, kept on flying,,over 600 flights on edge,just put in another motor,like new plane,,,,so LOL SUCK IT UP,,,fix issues,,,kept on trucking,,,,,,
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:20 PM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
736 Posts
Quote:
Can't blame you for being a little bummed. I got mine about 3 weeks after they came out and thanks to RCG and the guys that had already found the QC issues I was able to take care of the little problems before they happened. Due to working way too much I only have about 50 flights on mine but so far all have been trouble free! I like this plane a little more each time it leaves the ground. It seems to do everything so well and is a blast to fly.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:16 AM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
686 Posts
Quote:
Flew the Edge today... as it was feeling sad and ignored since the arrival of the Visionaire.
Just minutes into the flight, during a rolling dive, the landing gear flew off, into the bush below, never to be found. I'm thinking I'm going to S-can this plane soon.
my landing gear fell off when i picked up out of the box on Christmas day. i put it back in and havent flown it yet.
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:46 AM
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jun 2010
486 Posts
servo removal

Looks like I need to remove, and repair or replace my rudder servo. Any advice on getting the servo out with minimal damage to the foam? Is there any glue holding it in (& where) or is it just friction?

Thanks,
Charles
ccpdx is offline Find More Posts by ccpdx
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:47 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpdx View Post
Looks like I need to remove, and repair or replace my rudder servo. Any advice on getting the servo out with minimal damage to the foam? Is there any glue holding it in (& where) or is it just friction?

Thanks,
Charles
Having an extra set of hands to hold the plane while you work the servo out would be beneficial. The servo is either glued or taped to the fuse. If you can get under it with a couple picks it should wiggle out. Tape a piece of string to the servo plug at the receiver before you pull it out of the fuse. You'll need this to pull the new lead back through to the Rx. I've had a couple where the lead slid right out but some take a good tug to force the lead out. Some good two sided servo tape is really all you need to hold the new servo in. The hardest part for me was getting the servo lead unplugged from the Rx. It can be a real PITA!
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:00 PM
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
506 Posts
rudder servo only turns one way

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv View Post
FYI, I flew a little too low over grass and snagged the tail wheel. It ripped the rudder out, actually tore the top hinge in half and pulled the bottom hinge out along with some foam.

I'm thinking of moving the tail wheel from the rudder to the fuse. I really don't think this plane needs a steerable tail wheel.
ok so I finally got around to repairing this and now the rudder servo only turns half way. When I move the stick left, fine. When I move the stick right, nothing. Actually, when I move the stick right, all the other control surfaces move a bit.

Does this sound like a stripped servo?

I've already replaced the rudder servo once and don't look forward to doing it again as it was a bit of a pain getting the servo wire through the small hole inside the tail.
mdv is offline Find More Posts by mdv