HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:33 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benf207 View Post
Alright, I tried both timing modes out and the problem still persists. As for the battery, if the Gforce's 30C claim is true it is properly rated but the HH tech said it was likely overrated.
G FORCE not overated,,,got some ,,strong during ALL 7 mins of flight
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:38 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,802 Posts
Quote:
they told me that flying 3D shouldn't require the throttle to be blipped like that
I thought throttle blipping was regular practice. Like when hovering. If you don't get the air flowing well you can't hold the torque. But if it's flowing well enough continuously it'll climb out of the hover.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:44 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,034 Posts
My bet would be on either a bad connection in motor power wires or the motor itself. Seems like it will handle everything except most extreme amp draw. edit: Have you sent them the video?
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:49 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
My bet would be on either a bad connection in motor power wires or the motor itself. Seems like it will handle everything except most extreme amp draw. edit: Have you sent them the video?
Yea... Me too. Since he's tried two different ESC's then something has to be wrong on the motor side.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:26 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
I've made a much clearer video that I will hopefully show to HH tomorrow.
Edge 540QQ Problem Close Up (1 min 0 sec)
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:42 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
I've made a much clearer video that I will hopefully show to HH tomorrow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKwkQlW2Uv8
Take the prop off first... (safety reasons). Then put the stick at about 1/4 throttle. Just leave it there and then jiggle each motor/ESC wire separately. Bend them, wiggle them, etc. Do this on each wire. I'm willing to bet money that you've got a bad solder joint in one of your motor leads. I'm guessing that when you move one of those wires it will cause the motor to shut off.

But definitely call HH back and ask them to watch your video. I think they will agree that this has nothing to do with a battery.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:10 PM
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Take the prop off first... (safety reasons). Then put the stick at about 1/4 throttle. Just leave it there and then jiggle each motor/ESC wire separately. Bend them, wiggle them, etc. Do this on each wire. I'm willing to bet money that you've got a bad solder joint in one of your motor leads. I'm guessing that when you move one of those wires it will cause the motor to shut off.

But definitely call HH back and ask them to watch your video. I think they will agree that this has nothing to do with a battery.
Okay, I unbolted the prop and motor and gave this a try. Nothing I did to the wires caused the motor to shut off. I also found that the shut off problem does not happen when the prop is off.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:15 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Okay, I unbolted the prop and motor and gave this a try. Nothing I did to the wires caused the motor to shut off. I also found that the shut off problem does not happen when the prop is off.
That would leave me to believe that your ESC is over heating and shutting off. Does it do this in flight or only on the bench?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:26 PM
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
That would leave me to believe that your ESC is over heating and shutting off. Does it do this in flight or only on the bench?
It happens both in flight and on the bench.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:39 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
It happens both in flight and on the bench.
I'm stumped now. Do you have more than one battery to test this with?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:53 PM
Australia, WA, Belmont
Joined Aug 2012
225 Posts
Quote:
I've made a much clearer video that I will hopefully show to HH tomorrow.
Thats what my UMX CC was doing straight out of the box so i took it and my tx back to perth rc who did thier checks and replaced it. Chap at shop said strange thing was that the faulty CC pulled like a mule before it cut out compared to the replacement.

Around 3/4 throttle wether quick or slow the motor shut down but i still had rudder etc., red light flashes on rx and then resets to solid and id have throttle control again.
Kurtus is offline Find More Posts by Kurtus
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:06 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Even more evidence that something in wiring or motor is causing excessive amperage which is more than it can handle when quickly throttling up from stop. Without the prop, its less of a load. It's taking more amps to do this with the prop on than something in the system can stand. You've already tried esc, and although possible, not really likely to get two bad ones in a row. Still motor or wires. And you might not catch it in the wires by running at partial throttle without the prop - not drawing enough amps to affect it. I'd probably be trying a different motor if it were mine. - You are running stock prop aren't you?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:27 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,335 Posts
OCP!!!

Over current protection!

Apparently either the ESC is sensitive, or your batteries are too good (not too low as someone speculated) at providing high current, and the Eflite system design expects LOWER c-rating batteries.

Test this by jockeying the throttle to get your plane running for a minute or so with the prop ON (under load).

At that point, I bet you can then do whatever moves you want to with throttle stick, and system will respond properly.

So in the end, HH was prolly 'right' -- use their official batt and you'd have been okay.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:36 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,034 Posts
I recently had a newly built flat foamy that was acting this way. I was running the esc/motor/prop combination recommended by someone else. I finally changed the prop to one with slightly less pitch and the problem went away. But the stock motor/prop combo on this one seems ok, so it is likely something else making it draw too much current. It's a fine line and it doesn't take much to overburden it. Is there any way to get a different motor to try?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:46 AM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,344 Posts
The prop was probably not balanced so try another on or an apc...
Quote:
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256