Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:34 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappaman View Post
Yep!
And it's not a big deal to do, really!
The two struts that connect the rudder and the elevator have another advantage, because at least my elevator had a little clearance and it bends slightly as well, so the movement of the servo was not fully taken to the elevatorrudder, which effects the neutral point negative as well of course.. this now is tight. the servo only moves what it should. makes it more precise and predictable, any way.
Well, that makes sense too. I've had difficulty with elevator trims not staying trimmed. One flight was trimmed perfect with CG and trim set so it flew straight and level at any power setting. The next, it wanted to climb with the battery in the exact same position. It even varies within the same flight! I'll have to try that brace. Thanks!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:58 PM
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Apr 2008
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Well, that makes sense too. I've had difficulty with elevator trims not staying trimmed. One flight was trimmed perfect with CG and trim set so it flew straight and level at any power setting. The next, it wanted to climb with the battery in the exact same position. It even varies within the same flight! I'll have to try that brace. Thanks!
this seems to be a sign of to much movement. i mean, it is so small that even slight movements in the structure may have effects like that.
i like to eliminate all such influences with simple methods. some quickly say "oooh, the servos are crap!"
but sometimes if it is only a question of proper attachment and making the elevator rudder stiff by using simple rods with almost no weight (you need 8 " of 1/32'' cfk-rods, thats a joke). it works on other planes, why not here?

this is no 'i connect/disconnect that plane every time i have to transport it', so i won't put the wings off. it simply is not made therefore. and it is a 'tiny pieces that you loose anyway'-work.
because of that i constructed thin covers made of foam for the wingtips and the tail section. now you put it in a big IKEA-plasticbag and do not have to worry about transporting it even hangin' at a backpack.
Dappaman is offline Find More Posts by Dappaman
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:08 PM
plane demo expert
United States, CA, South Gate
Joined Nov 2012
40 Posts
Can i use my 500mAh 3s 20C batteries on it?
strows is offline Find More Posts by strows
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:17 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I was thinking of an AS3X conversion for this plane, just for fun. I find I can fly it in wind that is uncomfortable to stand in and makes my eyes water, so it doesn't really need it... but...

1. The AS3X brick has proven itself capable of running on 3S directly, so the lack of availability of 7.4 volts for it is not a problem. Just wire it up in parallel with the ESC.

2. The ESC can be controlled through the x-port and transmitter mixing on channel 5. Just run the single control wire as the power is already supplied to both the ESC and brick.

But there are a couple of questions that have to be answered:

1. Can the gain be turned down via programming the brick? With the control surface sizes, throws and flight speeds, I would think that would be necessary.

2. Can the stock servos handle AS3X duty?

3. Can the brick power 4 rotary servos chattering under AS3X control? Will its VR crap out running with 3S?

What do you guys think? TP always has great analysis of this kind of thing.

EDIT: Re-thinking the servo power problem: As long as you maintain a common ground, the power to the servos could be from the ESC's BEC and the signal from the brick. That should take care of the servo power problem, n'est-ce pas?
1) You can choose from a number of preset programs that cover a range of airframes, but the gains are not freely adjustable.

2) I doubt it. You'd want a set of fast ball-bearing, metal geared servos that are rated for high duty-cycle apps, such as FBL heli use. HiTEC likely has something that would be a good choice.

3) Nope. The built-in BEC is only rated for 1A. As you noted - just use the external ESC's BEC.

Use a converter to get a normal throttle signal to the external ESC & you'd be all set. One thing to keep in mind - the UM bricks are definitely not full-range receivers. Their range is much shorter, due to the the simple RF front-end that is used.

If I were going to put a stabilizer in this plane, I'd most likely go with a stripped-down Guardian 2D/3D. It is, by far, the best system out there for less than $150. It is light-years ahead of & orders of magnitude better than the Chinese cheapies.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 30, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:17 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strows View Post
I'm sure, as long as they have the micro-JST's on them and aren't some strange size that won't fit under the battery cover.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:27 PM
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Apr 2008
7 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm, maybe they are a little bit overstressed. I would not necessarily recommend them, but you should give them a try. After the first flight you will see, if they blow up, die the heatdeath or similar. I guess the QQ won't have its full power that way, because these will surely nosedive a little bit in their voltage if you speed up.
Dappaman is offline Find More Posts by Dappaman
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:36 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappaman View Post
Hmmm, maybe they are a little bit overstressed. I would not necessarily recommend them, but you should give them a try. After the first flight you will see, if they blow up, die the heatdeath or similar. I guess the QQ won't have its full power that way, because these will surely nosedive a little bit in their voltage if you speed up.
Yeah... I thought about this. A 20C rating means they're rated for 10 amps. But... as we all know... you may well be right. Everybody lies about C ratings except maybe TP and Hyperion.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:41 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Quote:
20c is way too low. At best, they will be overstressed, and will die in a very short time. At worst, they will puff up, burst and start on fire. Even if they work, the plane will perform very poorly, due to the severe voltage-drop. You don't buy a Ferrari & then put 87 octane fuel in it. Using a 20c pack in this plane is pretty much the RC equivalent of doing that.

Do yourself a huge favor & pick up some decent high-performance 35c-65c continuous discharge packs from a reputable manufacturer that is known for honestly rating their packs.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:47 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
1) If I were going to put a stabilizer in this plane, I'd most likely go with a stripped-down Guardian 2D/3D. It is, by far, the best system out there for less than $150. It is light-years ahead of & orders of magnitude better than the Chinese cheapies.

Joel
Why do you say so? Has there been any testing on these? I know HK's QC leaves a lot to be desired!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:30 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Why do you say so? Has there been any testing on these? I know HK's QC leaves a lot to be desired!
The hit-and-miss QC alone is enough to keep me away - but there are many other factors.

The cheapies (and the AR635 AS3X rx) lack features that are extremely important on planes with wide speed envelopes. I would not buy anything that doesn't have gain-induced oscillation detection with auto-gain reduction. The ability to freely adjust the master gain via a proportional control on the tx is also extremely important. Resolution and latency are also factors to consider. People have no problem trusting the Guardian 2D/3D in 200 MPH turbines & other giant-scale planes. You don't see anyone putting the cheap Chinese stabilizers in fast glow/gas planes or jets - and HH specifically forbids using the new AR635 rx in any internal-combustion-powered planes.

And then there's the support part. Eagle Tree provides great support. You can actually call them & talk to someone in the US who is technically knowledgeable about the product & the hobby. Also, the designer is active in the Guardian 2D/3D thread.

I've read enough to know which system I want in my aircraft.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:37 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I knew you had a reason and I wanted to hear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
The hit-and-miss QC alone is enough to keep me away - but there are many other factors.

The cheapies (and the AR635 AS3X rx) lack features that are extremely important on planes with wide speed envelopes. I would not buy anything that doesn't have gain-induced oscillation detection with auto-gain reduction. The ability to freely adjust the master gain via a proportional control on the tx is also extremely important. Resolution and latency are also factors to consider. People have no problem trusting the Guardian 2D/3D in 200 MPH turbines & other giant-scale planes. You don't see anyone putting the cheap Chinese stabilizers in fast glow/gas planes or jets - and HH specifically forbids using the new AR635 rx in any internal-combustion-powered planes.

And then there's the support part. Eagle Tree provides great support. You can actually call them & talk to someone in the US who is technically knowledgeable about the product & the hobby. Also, the designer is active in the Guardian 2D/3D thread.

I've read enough to know which system I want in my aircraft.

Joel
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:54 AM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
I am going to try to put SFG's on here and vortex generators. Anyone have a template for SFG's?
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:03 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
So HH sent me a new ESC to supposedly solve this problem:
Edge 540QQ Problems (1 min 26 sec)

I replaced it but the problem is still occurring. HH told me they can't help me any further until I buy an E-flite battery to test it with, because they think the battery may have too low of a C rating. I'm using a Gforce 500mah 30c battery.

So, do you think that my battery is the problem or something else in the airplane? If you do think it's the battery, what would you suggest I get?
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:03 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benf207 View Post
So HH sent me a new ESC to supposedly solve this problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDBFFrD8Vv8
I replaced it but the problem is still occurring. HH told me they can't help me any further until I buy an E-flite battery to test it with, because they think the battery may have too low of a C rating. I'm using a Gforce 500mah 30c battery.

So, do you think that my battery is the problem or something else in the airplane? If you do think it's the battery, what would you suggest I get?
You most likely have a bad solder joint in your motor wires. Mine had a similar issue. Try doing the same thing while jiggling the wires around and see what happens. Take the prop of first (and then throw it away... That thing is insanely warped).
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:33 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
You most likely have a bad solder joint in your motor wires. Mine had a similar issue. Try doing the same thing while jiggling the wires around and see what happens. Take the prop of first (and then throw it away... That thing is insanely warped).
I tried moving the wires around but nothing seemed different. Are the solder joints visible if I take the motor out?
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207