Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:23 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
E,

You've switched to the Dark Side???

Torye has been flying his EQQ on the APC 7x5E for a couple months now.
Loves it!
No problems to report.

I switched from the stock prop (6.8 x 3.5) last week after 100+ flights on it.
Installed the GWS 7035.
It was a nice performance boost but nothing spectacular.
Lost almost a full minute of flight time using Hyp (3S) 450s.
I'll probably keep the 7035 on for 50+ flights before I switch to the APC 7x5E.

Finally had a weather break around here.
All parking lot snow gone but very wet.
Flew my EQQ & 3S Beast 3D every chance I got.
They are by far, my two favorite planes.

rc

ps... Real men use spinners!
LOL,,,until U KRACH UP again,,ha ha ha h
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:24 PM
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Oct 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
the series of beeps is the program mode.reverse your throttle so your back to steady beeps.then try unplugging the battery,then trim throttle all the way down,turn off tx.then try to re-bind.
if that doesn't work.put your throttle trim back to center,then put throttle stick all the way up,plug battery in to esc,wait a couple seconds,return throttle to neutral.then do the same thing as before,trim throttle all the way down and bind.
I just got mine today. Followed your instructions and worked well. Had to trim my throttle down.

Cheers!
flatsphere is offline Find More Posts by flatsphere
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:34 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,637 Posts
just got servos from VALUE HOBBY,POWER HD 33,,,same size as stock...umx connector is ths same ....speed .07 ..2.9 grams,ONLY $ 6.00,,STOCK servos are sooo fragile ,,i mean ONE little TOUCH and STOP in a PINE TREE...well really..........................
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:51 PM
Joined Jan 2010
537 Posts
I just broke one of the servos trying to get the plane back in the house. Its a real shame since this is the only small plane I will make the drive to go fly. Its just big enough to use as the main plane of the day and not a supplement to fly. Of course its small enough to also be used as a supplement.
Josef086 is offline Find More Posts by Josef086
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:53 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Anyone besides me using APC 7x4 Slow Flyer? I have about 70 flights on my QQ now and it has become my go to plane. Just so easy to set it in the back seat assembled and go fly. I have 6 batteries of different brands and all work well. The ones from Twisted Hobbies are the heaviest but seem to have the most punch. Had I known ahead of time how good this little bird was going to be I might not have bought my 4th 3DHS 48" Edge. Never thought I would say that but I do love this little green beast. Only thing I haven't mastered is KE Spin.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:25 PM
Joined Jan 2010
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Anyone besides me using APC 7x4 Slow Flyer? I have about 70 flights on my QQ now and it has become my go to plane. Just so easy to set it in the back seat assembled and go fly. I have 6 batteries of different brands and all work well. The ones from Twisted Hobbies are the heaviest but seem to have the most punch. Had I known ahead of time how good this little bird was going to be I might not have bought my 4th 3DHS 48" Edge. Never thought I would say that but I do love this little green beast. Only thing I haven't mastered is KE Spin.
I can get some good KE spins out of it but the setup is a little harder then larger planes.
Josef086 is offline Find More Posts by Josef086
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:06 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Totally agree. I'm using the "regular" APC 7x4 and I really am loving this plane. I've got it trimmed to when flying straight and level at low throttle I can add throttle to full and it doesn't climb or descend. It takes CG quite a bit further back than spec'd, but then it does inverted great too and it's still nice and stable for landing, etc. What a great little plane!

BTW, the APC's I've used have required absolutely no balancing. What a relief!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:46 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Yes all the APC's I have bought of late for various planes have been dead spot on in balance. A big improvement over ones I bought over 6 months ago. I use 14x7E, 12x6, 6x4 and now 7x4SF. I have 2 GWS 7035 for the QQ but don't like them as well as the 7x4SF, though they are much better than the stock prop.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:57 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7,172 Posts
I was thinking of an AS3X conversion for this plane, just for fun. I find I can fly it in wind that is uncomfortable to stand in and makes my eyes water, so it doesn't really need it... but...

1. The AS3X brick has proven itself capable of running on 3S directly, so the lack of availability of 7.4 volts for it is not a problem. Just wire it up in parallel with the ESC.

2. The ESC can be controlled through the x-port and transmitter mixing on channel 5. Just run the single control wire as the power is already supplied to both the ESC and brick.

But there are a couple of questions that have to be answered:

1. Can the gain be turned down via programming the brick? With the control surface sizes, throws and flight speeds, I would think that would be necessary.

2. Can the stock servos handle AS3X duty?

3. Can the brick power 4 rotary servos chattering under AS3X control? Will its VR crap out running with 3S?

What do you guys think? TP always has great analysis of this kind of thing.

EDIT: Re-thinking the servo power problem: As long as you maintain a common ground, the power to the servos could be from the ESC's BEC and the signal from the brick. That should take care of the servo power problem, n'est-ce pas?
Last edited by erkq; Jan 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:33 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I am almost certain the UM AS3X bricks, gain control is not a programmable option.

Everythign else, is up to others! Why not throw a standard micro full size reciever in there with the HK gyro do-hickey. Seems a little easy, you will have to make the servos have standard servo plugs but that isn't horrible.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:43 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
I am almost certain the UM AS3X bricks, gain control is not a programmable option.

Everythign else, is up to others! Why not throw a standard micro full size reciever in there with the HK gyro do-hickey. Seems a little easy, you will have to make the servos have standard servo plugs but that isn't horrible.
Yeah... that one is adjustable too, but just a little weighty. It's a good idea, though. I might see how much a guardian weighs if I'm going to put that much weight in it..
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:53 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7,172 Posts
Guardian's 11 grams with wiring harness. So... strip it and make a harness (or modify the original) with the smaller servo ends and shorter wires and you could get it down to... 7g? 8g? Worth trying?

It could fit in the receiver compartment and the CG could be adjusted to compensate by moving the battery back. I have plenty of room for moving the battery back.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:59 AM
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Apr 2008
7 Posts
Modding

I did some changes for more stability and response.
I decided to show these rather in a video, than just describing it.
This Video is in german language, because I'm german, but I subtitled it hopefully clearly in english.
These changes find some maybe unnecessary in particular, but at least the battery attachment is worth being reconsidered. I don't trust in velcro alone and the magnetic force.
All of these changes are not to difficult to do and improve this fine little thing.
I am talking of under 2 Gramms of added weight, but the whole thing is more stable and works better on the elevator.

E-Flite Edge 540 QQ 280 BL Modding (english subtitles!) (4 min 57 sec)
Dappaman is offline Find More Posts by Dappaman
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:17 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappaman View Post
I did some changes for more stability and response.
I especially like the elevator mod. You have had it more aerodynamically ballanced! So, in addition to more elevator authority there should be less load on the servo. We can have all that elevator authority with less chance of blow-back.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:28 PM
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Apr 2008
7 Posts
Yep!
And it's not a big deal to do, really!
The two struts that connect the rudder and the elevator have another advantage, because at least my elevator had a little clearance and it bends slightly as well, so the movement of the servo was not fully taken to the elevatorrudder, which effects the neutral point negative as well of course.. this now is tight. the servo only moves what it should. makes it more precise and predictable anyway.
Dappaman is offline Find More Posts by Dappaman
Last edited by Dappaman; Jan 30, 2013 at 03:55 PM.