HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:38 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,993 Posts
My motor started clicking once per revolution. Turns out the stator (with the coils) came loose from the motor's stationary central shaft and turned a tiny bit back and forth as the motor spun. I took the retaining clip off and took the motor apart. The central shaft slid out of the stator very easily. It looks like it was glued in with something, but I don't know what to use. Ideally it should have been keyed, but the motor's probably too small to need that.

Bottom line: are the central shaft and stator meant to be attached as one unit? I believe they are. Given that, what sort of adhesive should I use? It doesn't have to be very strong, but it does have to last. A little epoxy?
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:42 PM
Joined Jun 2012
223 Posts
Can anyone tell me where to get paints that match the blue & green colors on the edge? I'd prefer bush on as all I need is to touch it up. I had a minor nose-in (broke a prop) and messed up the cowling.
sothpaw is offline Find More Posts by sothpaw
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:37 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothpaw View Post
Can anyone tell me where to get paints that match the blue & green colors on the edge? I'd prefer bush on as all I need is to touch it up. I had a minor nose-in (broke a prop) and messed up the cowling.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3055
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:41 AM
I've reached my critical AoA
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Dec 2005
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothpaw View Post
I will confirm the link to ForseeMS, I picked those up last week and they are a good match.

Folkart Lime green 2553
Americana Ultramarine Blue DA225
G-Man is offline Find More Posts by G-Man
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:49 AM
Joined Dec 2005
318 Posts
It's been a long road trying to get my 580QQ flight ready.

Got it new on the Jan 12th. Two issues, the left wing screw will not thread, it just spins, and the landing gear will not roll, wheels are so out of round they will not turn in the wheel pants.

First call to HH, they are sending a new wing and landing gear.

Package arrives in a huge box...but in stead of wrapping the wing and gear in separate pieces of bubble wrap, they tape the gear to the wing! So now the gear has gouged the wing and it looks like a dog chewed the wing.

I call back and explain, they send another wing.

I got the new wing yesterday. Around the server is chewed up, the server has a huge amount of epoxy all over it (and the server well looks like it was buggered up probably removing another server), and the icing on the cake....the servo wire only comes out of the wing 3/4". Can't even get it in the radio compartment.

I can only think this was a returned wing they repaired and didn't use the correct servo with the right wire length. Either way, it looks like crap.

I know I will get my own marks on the plane, but it's new, and I'd like to scare it up myself.

HH customer service has been great about it, but it's getting a little frustrating. Just venting...waiting for wing #4
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:38 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,556 Posts
Three week long 'Ice Age' going on around here.
Been flying my mSR indoors along with my EQQ whenever possible.
Its been doing well on my snow patch runway.
Until yesterday...
Both wheels stuck in the snow as I punched power on a touch & go.
She nosed down and my stock 6.8x3.5 became a 5x2.2

I'll throw on a GWS 7035 tomorrow.
Lil bro is still in love with his APC 7x5E.
(All stock motor, esc)

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:40 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
It's been a long road trying to get my 580QQ flight ready.

Got it new on the Jan 12th. Two issues, the left wing screw will not thread, it just spins, and the landing gear will not roll, wheels are so out of round they will not turn in the wheel pants.

First call to HH, they are sending a new wing and landing gear.

Package arrives in a huge box...but in stead of wrapping the wing and gear in separate pieces of bubble wrap, they tape the gear to the wing! So now the gear has gouged the wing and it looks like a dog chewed the wing.

I call back and explain, they send another wing.

I got the new wing yesterday. Around the server is chewed up, the server has a huge amount of epoxy all over it (and the server well looks like it was buggered up probably removing another server), and the icing on the cake....the servo wire only comes out of the wing 3/4". Can't even get it in the radio compartment.

I can only think this was a returned wing they repaired and didn't use the correct servo with the right wire length. Either way, it looks like crap.

I know I will get my own marks on the plane, but it's new, and I'd like to scare it up myself.

HH customer service has been great about it, but it's getting a little frustrating. Just venting...waiting for wing #4
The two original problems are a 5 minute fix, why not go on and fly it and put the new parts on when they finally get them right?
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:47 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
I hear ya G-man, gotta be frustrating.

But, I also agree with bobly that you ought to (imho) do *whatever* you can to get this thing in the air, even with a scar or two, to enjoy it's abilities! Prime example is on that wing screw -- I have three Edge 540's and none of the #$%^#$^& screws seem to line up and/or thread well. What I've done is just work around it, esp when you grab the wing and realize that once seated, there is no way it's coming out on it's own, even if the screw is totally out...I've resorted to using a tiny wood screw instead... I have also used a small smudge of foam tac glue, placed both in the screw hole as well as on the wing socket, to make a secure but easily removable bond...

Your major point seems to be that even if HH is cheerful, and continuing to try, the solution hasn't been satisfactory, and it's taken several tries, and you still don't have a pristine $169 plane you deserve. I feel ya. You are right!.

What I suspect they must be resorting to doing now is taking returned and cannibalized parts and trying to 'rework' them into suitable replacements/spares for warranty claims.

All I can say is that you can do BOTH -- press nicely but insistently for the level of quality you both expect and deserve, but ALSO allow yourself to be creative in workarounds just to get you airborne with this awesome creation.

I sure hope most of this early teething pain on the Green Machine release is almost behind us.

Peace!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:58 PM
Joined Dec 2005
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
The two original problems are a 5 minute fix, why not go on and fly it and put the new parts on when they finally get them right?
5 Minute fix. all ears. I tried fixing the wing, and cannot get a screw to set. it's like what ever the screw threads into is not even in the wing. I didn't want to use the 2nd wing in case they want it back.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:02 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Lil bro is still in love with his APC 7x5E.
(All stock motor, esc)

rc
Wow... that's a steep prop! Does it still climb OK? I'm running a 7x4 and it is so fast I have to go to mid-rates for high speed passes. Of course I'm running long arms, 150% and 40% expo on the high rates. Maybe if I dialed that expo up to 60% the speed would be OK.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:40 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Wow... that's a steep prop! Does it still climb OK? I'm running a 7x4 and it is so fast I have to go to mid-rates for high speed passes. Of course I'm running long arms, 150% and 40% expo on the high rates. Maybe if I dialed that expo up to 60% the speed would be OK.
Hey E,

That stiff APC 7x5E climbs excellent.
If it didn't, Torye would throw it in the trash.
He was totally unhappy with the performance of the GWS 7035.
Hated the flex.

I know we are at a higher elevation around here.
Idaho Falls 4,705
Twin Falls 3,745

I've been impressed with my stock prop.

Anyway, Torye was taught with a trainer cord on my Hacker Super Zoom.
Massive throws.
No Expo.

His first plane was a UM Sukhoi.
He learned fast.
Now he loves crazy sensitive sticks.
Flies neg expo with massive throws on everything.
Loving his Crack Yak mini.
Flies it in his hotel room every night.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:33 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,738 Posts
Quote:
5 Minute fix. all ears. I tried fixing the wing, and cannot get a screw to set. it's like what ever the screw threads into is not even in the wing. I didn't want to use the 2nd wing in case they want it back.
Short term memory is about gone, but I thought I remembered that the screw threads into a piece that sticks out from the fuse - if that hole is stripped out, a dab of glue should fix that. On mine I just put several tiny little beads of hot melt top and bottom, front and back of wing to fuse joint. Very easy to cut if wing removal required and much more solid attachment of wings to fuse. Main structural integrity of wing to fuse is the long wing tube - you just need something to keep wing from sliding outward and in my case I wanted solid so the dabs of glue. On the wheels, I fly off grass anyway and never use wheel pants, so just took them off and actually added larger wheels right off the bat. Mine didn't turn right on one of my Edge's, but don't remember when I ever used the stock wheels that come with a Parkzone or eflight plane anyway. Wheel pants just pop off - spread the outside, take the wheel off, then pop the pant off the wire.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:57 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Gman don't blame you for being upset.

There is still a double standard regarding HH, when this stuff happens to hobbyking/nitroplanes/banana hobbies planes the comment is you get what you pay for and that it is chinese junk.

Here you get why don't you the five minute fix. I like my HH planes but you got to three tries to get this plane right an issue.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:07 PM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
699 Posts
Quote:
The screw threads into the little black tab sticking out of the fuse. You might try threading the screw into the tab without the wing first. If memory serves me right it's a self tapping screw.

A buddy of mine had the same issue. He ended up having to work on the wing. His problem was the wing didn't go on far enough and the black tab wouldn't line up so the screw wouldn't start. Not sure what he did to finally solve the problem but once he got that sorted out he also had a bad rudder servo out of the box. The Edge most certainly has some QC issues from the factory. I understand that any type of manufacturing can have problems and HH has definitely taken care of most issues but this plane has had way too many quality problems that should have been addressed before it was released.

A lot of people have found that many of the screws aren't tight from the factory. I would recommend checking them all before the maiden.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:12 PM
Joined Dec 2007
162 Posts
Wing mounting

Use an awl to line up the hole in the wing with the hole in the fuselage tab. I then use an allen head 1-72 bolt to fasten. The original bolt should work as well, but I'd thread it into the fuselage tab prior to mounting the wing, to be sure that the threads are cut square. Then remove, mount the wing, jiggle the awl to line up, and rescrew.
tourist_603 is offline Find More Posts by tourist_603