HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:43 PM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Little help?

Got my 540qq today. Could someone post a photo of the battery compartment and how the wires and ESC are mounted? My esc was lose and I can't figure out how to get the battery to lay flat with the connections to the motor.

Only QC problems are: one wheel is so out of round, it will not clear the wheel pant, it hits the top inside and will not let the wheel roll. Might be able to sand it, don't know, or just have them send me a replacement. How do you get the wheel and pant off? I think if I had it in my hand, I could sand it round. The receiver cover is warped terrible. I will just heat and reshape.

Thanks!
Might as well go ahead and move the ESC into the lower compartment below the battery box. Gets it out of the way and puts in better airflow for cooling. Route the motor wires and the leads that go to the receiver down through the hole behind the motor. I cut a small channel in the side of the battery box to put the wire going to the receiver in to get them out of the way.

For the wheel, pull the outer side of the wheel pant off first. Mine had a little glue holding the inside part of the pant to the landing gear which was easily cut loose with an Exacto. The wheel and wheel pant should then slide off together. It's easier to remove the entire landing gear from the plane to avoid damaging other parts. I then used a small pin that fit snugly into the wheel and basically turned the tire down in a lathe until it was round. If you don't have a lathe a drill will work just fine. While you have the wheels off make sure they fit the axles well as they tend to be loose. I ended up using some very small heat shrink on the axles to give the wheels a better fit. Otherwise they will rattle horribly during flight.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:17 PM
I've reached my critical AoA
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Dec 2005
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsheeMS View Post
Might as well go ahead and move the ESC into the lower compartment below the battery box. Gets it out of the way and puts in better airflow for cooling. Route the motor wires and the leads that go to the receiver down through the hole behind the motor. I cut a small channel in the side of the battery box to put the wire going to the receiver in to get them out of the way.

For the wheel, pull the outer side of the wheel pant off first. Mine had a little glue holding the inside part of the pant to the landing gear which was easily cut loose with an Exacto. The wheel and wheel pant should then slide off together. It's easier to remove the entire landing gear from the plane to avoid damaging other parts. I then used a small pin that fit snugly into the wheel and basically turned the tire down in a lathe until it was round. If you don't have a lathe a drill will work just fine. While you have the wheels off make sure they fit the axles well as they tend to be loose. I ended up using some very small heat shrink on the axles to give the wheels a better fit. Otherwise they will rattle horribly during flight.
Thanks, I give it a go. I did also find one of the screws stripped that hold the wing on. I will try a dab of epoxy in the hole and see if that tightens it up a little. I'm assuming it threads into the wing, and not the black arm extending from the fuselage?
G-Man is offline Find More Posts by G-Man
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:27 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Not going to take mine off to see, but I believe the screw threads into the piece sticking out from the fuselage. On the esc, mine fits in the cut out on the left side beside the battery tray towards the front of the fuse. The esc tucks in sort of a recess and out of the way of the battery. It gets plenty of air there and does not get in the way of the battery. The opening between front of the plane and the upper area where battery and esc are is much larger than the hole letting air into the lower area below the battery tray.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:30 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
Here is the cnc motor mount for the edge. It is now available at www.smallpartscnc.com This mount weighs 2 grams, will fit hacker a10, blue wonder, hextronic, heads up rc, park 300 and park 340 motors. It can also be used with the stock motor to help strengthen the firewall. The firewall can crack on impact with stock mount, the cnc mount should prevent this.
Does this mount not replace the original black plastic one, just mounts on front of it? I thought the new mount would replace the plastic one completely? Am I not understanding it right?
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:38 PM
Joined Dec 2005
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsheeMS View Post
Wow, can't seem to get that wheel pant off. I have the entire gear off, will keep at it. You are right, the wobble on the axle is terrible

Okay, wheel off. When you used the shrink wrap, did you have to widen the whole in the wheel? I tried two different pieces of shrink wrap, but it make the axle too large for the wheel to go back on.
Last edited by G-Man; Jan 11, 2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:07 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
Yes, that porpoising at full throttle for a low level pass is frustrating. Any fixes would be welcome.
I wonder if the DS35 servo would be any better. It's also a 3.5g servo.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:50 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
Here is the cnc motor mount for the edge. It is now available at www.smallpartscnc.com This mount weighs 2 grams, will fit hacker a10, blue wonder, hextronic, heads up rc, park 300 and park 340 motors. It can also be used with the stock motor to help strengthen the firewall. The firewall can crack on impact with stock mount, the cnc mount should prevent this.
Glad you got your part out, I'm sure it's a fine accessory, will work well, and fit multiple motors as claimed.

However, given the photo, I cannot understand the claim it will make the firewall any less susceptible to damage. In fact, having greater weight attached to the existing mount would seem to make it more likely to have even higher damage in a given crash. Am I missing something?
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:13 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
734 Posts
Quote:
Wow, can't seem to get that wheel pant off. I have the entire gear off, will keep at it. You are right, the wobble on the axle is terrible

Okay, wheel off. When you used the shrink wrap, did you have to widen the whole in the wheel? I tried two different pieces of shrink wrap, but it make the axle too large for the wheel to go back on.
No, fortunately the heat shrink tubing I had worked pefect but it was really small. Some guys here have said they just used grease and that helped.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:47 AM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Glad you got your part out, I'm sure it's a fine accessory, will work well, and fit multiple motors as claimed.

However, given the photo, I cannot understand the claim it will make the firewall any less susceptible to damage. In fact, having greater weight attached to the existing mount would seem to make it more likely to have even higher damage in a given crash. Am I missing something?
I already cracked the firewall on a minor impact, the x mount pressed into the firewall on top and split the firewall where the top screw is. I think having a circle mount on a circle firewall will help beef things up. I've heard a few reports of firewall damage from the x mount, then it happened to me and my friend too from minor impacts. The mount is not mine, I just helped out. I have no plans of getting paid and I don't work for small parts cnc. I was just trying to make it easier to swap motors for upgraded, then I noticed I probably wouldn't have broken the firewall had I had this mount on at the time.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:55 AM
Joined Dec 2005
318 Posts
Anyone have a paint match for the blue and green?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:42 AM
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Nov 2009
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Does this mount not replace the original black plastic one, just mounts on front of it? I thought the new mount would replace the plastic one completely? Am I not understanding it right?
This mount was designed to make it a simple bolt on procedure when upgrading the motor. It will allow the use of the popular 24g motors sold be Hobbyking and Heads Up RC as well as the E-flite Park 300 / 340.

Replacing the entire plastic firewall with an aluminum piece would have added quite a bit of weight. At 2.0 grams this aluminum mount weighs only .2 grams more than the stock X mount.

As slo-fly mentioned by distributing the load around the entire firewall, in the event of a front end impact this mount should reduce the chance of cracking the firewall.

Mainly we are giving the option for people to easily and quickly upgrade to a more powerful motor on this model.

Thanks,

Terry
sotog is offline Find More Posts by sotog
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:59 AM
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jun 2010
486 Posts
Quote:
Little help?

Got my 540qq today. Could someone post a photo of the battery compartment and how the wires and ESC are mounted? My esc was lose and I can't figure out how to get the battery to lay flat with the connections to the motor.

Only QC problems are: one wheel is so out of round, it will not clear the wheel pant, it hits the top inside and will not let the wheel roll. Might be able to sand it, don't know, or just have them send me a replacement. How do you get the wheel and pant off? I think if I had it in my hand, I could sand it round. The receiver cover is warped terrible. I will just heat and reshape.

Thanks!
I sanded mine for the same reason. I don't think they intended those wheel pants to come apart. Can't help you with the battery photo.... I'm waiting on batteries

Charles
ccpdx is offline Find More Posts by ccpdx
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:03 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
887 Posts
Just go my QQ. I threw the propeller away immediately (just like all the other e-flite proprs I've gotten); it was atrocious (it was warped and the contours messed up).

Mounted a GWS 7030 but the spinner doesn't fit. Anyone know of a "professional" aluminum spinner setup? Truturn maybe?

thanks
teryn1 is offline Find More Posts by teryn1
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:09 PM
Joined Dec 2005
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post
Cheap touch up paint

just paid .80 for each 2 oz bottle at Hobby Lobby.
Michael's also carries these
and a previous poster noted that walmart had the green.

Folkart Lime green 2553
Americana Ultramarine Blue DA225
How good of a match is this Blue? It's listed as transparent?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:21 PM
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
485 Posts
This plane ROCKS!

and no, I am not referring to wing rock. Finally a plane I can harrier. I hope that after I get real comfortable with them on this plane that I can get my buck huck to harrier without crashing.
mdv is online now Find More Posts by mdv